Cobra Kai

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Martial D, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Martial D

Martial D Master of Arts

So I just got done watching season one, and it was quite good. The constant hat tipping towards the original movies really tickled my nostalgia bone.

But it also got me wondering.

The show did a really good job at making karate lessons seem cool. Hell I almost went out to sign up for some "old fashioned karate" after watching it. So my question is for you karate students and instructors. Have you noticed an up turn in attendance lately?

2. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

It was a good show but it didn't show martial arts in a good light in my opinion. The main characters turned from innocent good kids into bullying thugs. The main instructor was an alcoholic who was verbally abbusive to his students and was drunk while teaching.

It doesn't bother me as I know it's just a show but you can see why it'd put some people off

3. jobo

jobo Senior Master

So pretty accurate then,

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

The complaint I’ve heard most often is people are saying they can’t watch it with their kids. When the original was released in ‘84, I was 8 years old. I wouldn’t want my 7 year old daughter watching the new one. I’d say 13 or so, possibly older, would be an appropriate age.

Doesn’t bother me much, as I’m not one of those parents who use “what about the kids!!!” for everything.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Green Belt

I loved it. Had a blast watching it.

To answer the question in the original post, I have not seen any change in the number of new students at my school.

6. colinwee

colinwee White Belt

I think they did a good job with the series. Certainly it was entertaining. And nice to see them seek redemption through their training.

However, I would have loved to see a better treatment or discussion of nijukun tenets or combative tactics. Just because Daniel or Johnny stopped practicing doesn't mean that they wouldn't be reflecting on their early lessons.

The descent of Miguel however ... just a little unbelievable.

The few children who train at my school? Haven't seen it.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Green Belt

But the Niju Kun is a Shotokan thing; Gichin Funakoshi came up with it. Neither of the karate styles represented is Shotokan. Miyagi's karate is generally understood to be based on Goju-Ryu, and Cobra Kai is generally understood to be based on Tang Soo Do.

And there is quite a lot of emphasis on "school creed and what does it really mean," by going through how the Cobra Kai school's creed (STRIKE FIRST; STRIKE HARD; NO MERCY), portrayed as a villain's creed in the original trilogy, can have a more-positive meaning as well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Wasn't unbelievable at all. Kid gets trained by a nasty person telling them it's good to start fights and to bully people. What else is going to happen

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Green Belt

That's your impression of Johnny Lawrence after watching Cobra Kai? I think I watched a different show...

10. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Yes it is. The guy bullied his students. Made fun of their disabilities, belittled them and embarrassed them, threatened them, insulted them because they weren't as physically strong and never showed any remorse for his past actions and tried to blame all his issues on someone else instead of admitting his mistakes....sounds Like a bully to me

11. colinwee

colinwee White Belt

Maybe a little more internal conflict? He opened as a character that was relatable.

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. colinwee

colinwee White Belt

I believe that often each dojo would have their own dojo kun. I believe Itosu had his own kun. But I guess 'sente nashi' has no place in a dojo which emblazons 'Strike First' on the wall. But there could have been opportunity for either Daniel or Lawrence to discuss their position on karate philosophy. The writers didn't dig deep enough.

13. colinwee

colinwee White Belt

To me, Johnny was seeking redemption by offering the strength of his karate to his students. He was at times misguided and inappropriate, but I felt he was doing the best job he could do. In fact, I can identify with a lot of his intentions. I may not insult my students, but when we go through pressure testing or desensitisation, the end result is a practitioner that is more effective in a stressful situation than one who is untrained.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1