Are steel toe boots useful for self defense? What SD items do you carry?

Don Johnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like cat boots and since I get new ones all the time I thought why not get the ones with steel toes? can only be an advantage. they aren't heavier. i got no issues with them.

but i wonder how useful could they be in a self-defense situation?`i cant really imagine how devastating it would be to be hit by a steel toe when you really try to kick as hard as possible.
Do you think that you could break someone's shin when you kick against it right with the front of the toe like on the pic. But on the pic he hits his leg with his foot and not the tip of his toe.

http://www.usarmycombatives.com/images/image1057.jpg

But even if the tip of the steel toe could be very destructive then the question is how difficult is it in a fight to really kick somebody against the shin and hit exactly with the tip?
Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with steel toe boots. Obviously, they are made to "protect" people from harm when they may be at risk of something heavy dropping on and doing damage to the toes. Thus, they would also protect you in the event someone were to stomp on your toes.

As far as useful for hurting someone, once you have done even a little training in proper kicking technique, you would never use the steel toes. Why? Weapons, when properly used, are simply an extension of ourselves. We NEVER kick with the toes. Thus, to use the steel toes in your boots as an impact surface would require you to deviate from proper use of your body as a SD tool.

Don Johnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And what SD items do you carry every day?
Everyday, I carry a knife, a tactical pen that actually writes, and a flashlight. My tactical pen has never been retained by TSA and I fly monthly. I often carry a glock and/or m&p shield. When I travel with camper, I also carry a mossberg 12ga. When on exercise walks, runs, rides, I carry pepper spray for animals. I am extremely well trained in all of the above, and more.

More importantly, I am well trained in using the tools that I have with me everywhere, at all times, that pass through all metal detectors. They include legs, arms, knees, elbows, teeth, you get the idea.

Most importantly, I think protective tactics. I pay attention, trust my intuition, anticipate challenges, contemplate solutions, keep my own emotions in check, smile, be nice, avoid the avoidable, de-escalate, exit. It's all part of good SD training.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to wear full composite toe boots at work but transitioned to these http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-12302-xprt-boot.html?Size=9-R&gclid=CjwKEAjwpqq6BRC99aKUkaSjuDsSJAC0pNTVXOogS_NOIEsPhw5IcHVtZ3iEP790Vuu795V5M8OSKBoCIXDw_wcB. "Just" a kick toe, but there is still a noticeable weight difference and it does what I want it to. If I am doing a shin kick and the guys zigs instead of zags it helps protect my toes. I never intend to kick with my toes ;).

I also carry one of these on my key ring http://www.amazon.com/Comtech-Stinger-Keating-Re-designed-Manipulator/dp/B006U4CPUS

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
training in proper kicking technique, you would never use the steel toes. Why? Weapons, when properly used, are simply an extension of ourselves. We NEVER kick with the toes. Thus, to use the steel toes in your boots as an impact surface would require you to deviate from proper use of your body as a SD tool.
Depends on where your proper kicking technique comes from. Traditional savate does use kicking with the toes - because it's an art based on using shoes/boots as a weapon.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on where your proper kicking technique comes from. Traditional savate does use kicking with the toes - because it's an art based on using shoes/boots as a weapon.

Such as in the fouette'. Savate was actually fun 25 odd years ago. Damnit you have me wondering where that old French immigrant neighbor got to!!!!!

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i'd always be careful with round kicks. no matter if ball, instep, shin... hitting someones bent knee or elbow full force may derange you for the situiation, not to mention the worse case of breaking the leg, like already happened in kickboxing and mma. would be worse in self-defense. i'd prefer straight kicks, if possible from the distance and stances. especially as straight techniques basically are stronger than round techniques.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with steel toe boots. Obviously, they are made to "protect" people from harm when they may be at risk of something heavy dropping on and doing damage to the toes. Thus, they would also protect you in the event someone were to stomp on your toes.
The martial art of Savate teaches kicking with shod toes. Has since at least the 19th century that I can track, though I don't claim to be a Savate expert.

As far as useful for hurting someone, once you have done even a little training in proper kicking technique, you would never use the steel toes. Why? Weapons, when properly used, are simply an extension of ourselves. We NEVER kick with the toes. Thus, to use the steel toes in your boots as an impact surface would require you to deviate from proper use of your body as a SD tool.
At least one (probably most) Okinawan karate styles teach the toe kick. I recall seeing an old B&W photo of an Okinawan master toe kicking a hole in a G.I. Jerry Can (sheet metal gas can).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Don Johnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The martial art of Savate teaches kicking with shod toes. Has since at least the 19th century that I can track, though I don't claim to be a Savate expert.

At least one (probably most) Okinawan karate styles teach the toe kick. I recall seeing an old B&W photo of an Okinawan master toe kicking a hole in a G.I. Jerry Can (sheet metal gas can).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yep, Tony mentioned Savate above too and I replied.
I stand corrected. 33 years and still learning. Thanks Tony
Thanks again lklawson. Probably not a good idea without shoes though ;)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks again lklawson. Probably not a good idea without shoes though ;)
I certainly won't be doing any toe kicks sans shoes. But, that said, there are most definitely martial arts with specific training methods and specific techniques for doing bare-foot toe kicks. I am aware of at least one Okinawan Karate style which teaches it and would hardly be shocked if there were a great many other arts from many different areas which did the same. I would particularly expect toe kicking from at least one or two arts originating in China, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines.

An important note here is that they require specific training and technique methods, apparently similar to "Spear Hand" techniques. Most people do not have the advantage of that training and would, I suspect, injure themselves if they were to attempt a bare-foot toe kick. Nevertheless, there are arts which do teach this. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly won't be doing any toe kicks sans shoes. But, that said, there are most definitely martial arts with specific training methods and specific techniques for doing bare-foot toe kicks. I am aware of at least one Okinawan Karate style which teaches it and would hardly be shocked if there were a great many other arts from many different areas which did the same. I would particularly expect toe kicking from at least one or two arts originating in China, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines.

An important note here is that they require specific training and technique methods, apparently similar to "Spear Hand" techniques. Most people do not have the advantage of that training and would, I suspect, injure themselves if they were to attempt a bare-foot toe kick. Nevertheless, there are arts which do teach this. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
One of my old teachers taught a bare-foot toe kick. He conditioned his toe, I have no idea how, and the two times I felt the kick it was incredibly painful. That said, while I learned them I can't imagine conditioning my toe to the point that I can use them so I never focused on it too much. Also can't imagine it would be a good idea sans boots for the average joe.

FocusedSoul

White Belt
Reaction score
You can now buy pens which have a sharpened crown for DNA catching and stabbing; these are more popular in the US more than in the UK where I live.
I am confident in my abilities to not carry and SD items; carrying a gun or anything dangerous in public is a criminal offence here in the UK - the chances of being involved in a fire fight here is slim.
I suppose it comes down to how safe you feel.

Latest Discussions