Are steel toe boots useful for self defense? What SD items do you carry?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non of those things are SD they are weapons you can be as effective with a rolled up newspaper

Welcome to MartialTalk.
It's a shame that your first post has to be so... misguided...
Weapons absolutely are a part of self defense. To claim otherwise is just ridiculous.
Similarly, to claim you can be "just as effective with a rolled up newspaper" as you be with a real weapon is also pretty silly.
You're not seriously suggesting that a rolled up newspaper is as effective as the knife in my front pocket are you?
And then there's the Glock 19 that generally sits behind my right hip...
While I am a big fan of improvised weapons, and do believe that they can be used effectively, it's utter nonsense to claim that they're even close to being as effective as an actual weapon. Especially in the hands of someone who has spent significant time training in the use of that weapon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk.
It's a shame that your first post has to be so... misguided...
Weapons absolutely are a part of self defense. To claim otherwise is just ridiculous.
Similarly, to claim you can be "just as effective with a rolled up newspaper" as you be with a real weapon is also pretty silly.
You're not seriously suggesting that a rolled up newspaper is as effective as the knife in my front pocket are you?
And then there's the Glock 19 that generally sits behind my right hip...
While I am a big fan of improvised weapons, and do believe that they can be used effectively, it's utter nonsense to claim that they're even close to being as effective as an actual weapon. Especially in the hands of someone who has spent significant time training in the use of that weapon.
From what I've seen at the range, some folks would, actually, be as effective with the rolled-up newspaper as with your 9mm.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most or all of these items would be illegal in most civilized countries and good luck trying to convince a judge that you were using these items for self defense.

Most or all of these items would be illegal in most civilized countries and good luck trying to convince a judge that you were using these items for self defense.

Unfortunately THIS is legal:

IMG_2763.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nothing illegal about this. I had this on my waist once when I walked into Austin police academy. I didn't get any trouble.

belt.jpg

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A steel toe cap to the groin will probably stop most attackers....it'll also stop their kids attacking because they'll be non existent after that lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A steel toe cap to the groin will probably stop most attackers....it'll also stop their kids attacking because they'll be non existent after that lol
As someone who has some experience with being kick in the groin, I can say with certainty that a kick to the groin with or without steel toe boots is painful. I've been kicked, kneed, punched, and have had things like tennis balls, footballs, soccer balls, lacrosse balls, hand bags, falling on bike frames, and basketballs put me down lol.

It turns out that steel toe boots don't work as well as one would think

Now for some more entertainment.

Notice how he treats the baby after it happens.

Notice how the son says "I don't like daddy" after it happens.

On a side note there are an amazing number of people willingly letting others kick them in the groin. The good news is that we probably won't have to worry about them passing on their genes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What SD items do you carry?

It says to "knock you out with one strike." :)

brick.jpg

This is good for long distance and 100% legal.

Taiji_ball.jpg

Last edited:
OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm in Germany and all the stuff you posted isnt allowed her, like brass knuckles and so on.

With SD item I didn't men obvious weapons. Carrying a real weapon is risky cause then you could get into legal trouble
even when you only defend yourself.

I also ask myself how likely is it that in a real fight you even get the chance to kick somebody against the shin? What if
you simply dont have that much time or what if the attacker is too fast so that you wont even be able to kick him?

Kicking also disrupts your balance. :/

But generally said I feel better with ST boots than lets say with sneakers. Sneakers definitely are not useful at all in combat.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm in Germany and all the stuff you posted isnt allowed her, like brass knuckles and so on.

With SD item I didn't men obvious weapons. Carrying a real weapon is risky cause then you could get into legal trouble

I also ask myself how likely is it that in a real fight you even get the chance to kick somebody against the shin? What if
you simply dont have that much time or what if the attacker is too fast so that you wont even be able to kick him?

But generally said I feel better with ST boots than lets say with sneakers. Sneakers definitely are not useful at all in combat.
I think you put too much value in kicking shins with steel toe boots. There are many different ways to kick a leg that are more effective than kicking shins with steel toe boots

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

If you can't fight back, you're going to lose. It's that simple.

Only if you're doing it wrong. If anything, the added weight of your armor plated boot flailing around on the end of a lever (your leg) is going to lead to the lack of skill (which is the actual cause of your balance disruption, not the kick) even more pronounced.

[/QUOTE]

Also not true.

It looks like you came here having already made up your mind that steel toe boots are an awesome weapon (they're not) and looking for validation of your preconceived notion (which you didn't get) and are now just trying to rationalize your position.

I've treated countless people following assaults of various sorts, and I cannot say that the type of shoe worn makes any significant difference in the severity of the injuries. There are too many other factors involved.

Personally, I'd rather wear sneakers. I can run faster (which is valid self defense), and move my ankle (which is important to proper kicking technique as well as proper body mechanics in all sorts of movement) and kick hard enough to break things.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!

You can't carry a flashlight ? I hear it can get dark in Germany.

Or a pen - ya know - to sign checks for a couple of countries in the EU?

;)

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pens and flashlights are allowed, but how helpful are they? Some people advocate kubotans and others say they suck. Pretty confusing.

If STBs arent really good then this sucks. But I'm not switching to sneakers. I like boots in general and I cant really run fast anyway lol.

What kind of kicks would you recommend against an attacker?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Um... all of them? There's these things called "circumstances" you know. And those will determine the most effective response.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pens and flashlights are allowed, but how helpful are they? Some people advocate kubotans and others say they suck. Pretty confusing.

If STBs arent really good then this sucks. But I'm not switching to sneakers. I like boots in general and I cant really run fast anyway lol.

If, as seems so, you think knives, and perhaps clubs would be effective, why would pens and flashlights not be? Have you thought that through? And what do they have to do with kubotans?

It seems that in Dirty Dog's 2nd sentence in his 3rd quote in post #33, he has you pegged. If not, then you might want to think about how you might express yourself a little more clearly.

Rayrob

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is an interesting link. And although clogs didn't have steel toe caps they were solidly built.

A vicious clog fight

My personal take on this is that steel toe cap boots would be more of a hindrance than a help, especially for kicking at the shin. They would not make up for a lack of skill or be some kind of equaliser. To land with the cap part of the boot you would have to be close to your opponent, so close that you cold be struck with: elbows, hands, feet, knees or head,. At the same time offering up your entire body and most vulnerable areas as targets. If you don't get blasted out before you could kick to the shin then at close range a stop kick or leg jamb could negate any advantage a boot could offer. It would be like turning up at the golf course with only one club in your bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sneakers definitely are not useful at all in combat.
One time I decided to get into a fight just because I had my running shoes on. I had confidence that I could outrun my opponents after the fight if needed.

I like boots in general and I cant really run fast anyway lol.
IMO, there is no MA skill that can be more important than "be able to outrun your opponent." Not only you may have to run away from guys who try to kill you, you may also have to run away from "flying bullets" and "fat cops".

Believe it or not, I had outrun a motorcycle chasing (the guy sat behind the driver had a samurai sword in his hand) once in my life.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Actually, I'd rather be in sneakers than in ST boots. Better mobility, and less weight (so faster kicks, if I'm going to use them).

Latest Discussions