Are revolvers dying out?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um... OK... tell me something. Why would you do this?
For me alot of the UC buys I did were in a vehicle. Usually with the dealer at my window in a position of advantage on me. If I were seated in a vehicle with a gun pointed at me being robbed which is what happened to alot of the white guys that bought dope in my area I wanted to reach in my pocket for my "wallet" and start sending rounds before he ever saw a gun. But thats all theory because I was never robbed and I wasnt allowed to have a revolver

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ......When I worked undercover I wanted to carry a hammerless revolver as a last resort gun. I would be able to fire inside my coat or pocket and not worry about clothing getting caught in the slide. Sadly I wasnt allowed its against our policy we had to carry a semiauto. I dont know if a semiauto slide would get caught in clothing in a pocket when fired because I never tried it and I have however shot a revolver in a pocket and it did fire with no problems. Ill have to try a semiauto one of these days.

I can buy situations like this, if we're going to get down to the hair-splitting stage. But, realistically, in the VAST majority of cases, there is no real advantage to a revolver over a semi-auto.

I find retention is easier with short snubbies then with weapons with long flat slides.

If a person travels, knowing the operating system on revolvers is handy, very popular still in some places.

Regards
Brian King

I agree with this, too. But that's as much because I'm just generally in favor of learning as much as you can as anything else.

As far as retention goes... compare apples to apples. It's easier to retain a short auto than a long barrel revolver.

Brian, you asked about Sue earlier. She generally carries a Glock 26 with 3-round magazine extensions.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can buy situations like this, if we're going to get down to the hair-splitting stage. But, realistically, in the VAST majority of cases, there is no real advantage to a revolver over a semi-auto.
Not so much hair splitting and more so a reality for me at the time but my scenario was not normal most people dont go out buying dope in dangerous neighborhoods everyday for a living. And in my opinion defensive shooting of a weapon from a jacket pocket for example Im taken down mounted and getting my head based in I might just reach in and start shooting to create distance to get him off so I can draw and fully extend or even pulled from the pocket but close body shooting where clothing count interfere with the slide in that case a revolver has the advantage. But In everyday use for most people it doesnt matter they both work fine

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the ability to have 46 rounds on me...easily reparable....

Sure the average shooting wont require that many, but all the same.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the ability to have 46 rounds on me...easily reparable....

Sure the average shooting wont require that many, but all the same.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When I'm carrying my Glock 19, I will often carry a couple of G17 mags as backup. That gives me a nice, even 50 rounds.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reparable? I meant reloadable... Damn autocorrect.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Revolvers are not dying out simply because people are still using them. They can certainly fill a need for concealed carry as there are times when they simply do not print as easily as a semi-auto. Like K50Marine I live in Las Vegas so there are simply times in a t-shirt environment when it is hard to carry a semi-auto on a slim frame. So that is one reason to utilize a revolver. However, if I can carry a full size semi-auto with good concealment I always will! There is a reason why simply every military and almost all police agencies have gone to the semi-auto. Great functionality, lots of rounds and it is also simple to use with some basic training.

On a side note I have a lot of revolvers and even more semi-autos. My semi-auto 1911 Smith and Wesson jams once in a blue moon. Glocks, simply I have only seen one malfunction and that was when my wife limp-wristed it. Personally, I have never had a malfunction with a Glock and I shoot at the very least every other week. Revolvers have been flawless except for one .357 which fails repeatedly when at the range. About 2 to 3 times every twenty shots or so. It has been looked by a gunsmith and he can't figure out what is wrong. It is just a crappy gun.

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE="PhotonGuy, post: 1709836, member: 30963went seems the vast majority is using, or switching to semi autos over revolvers. In most of the shooting classes I've taken I would say at least 90 percent of the people have semi autos and its very rare to find revolvers. Also, the police and military supposedly don't use revolvers anymore in favor of semi autos. It wasn't common to see a police officer with a revolver since the 80s.[/QUOTE]
There will always be a revolving firearm, they arnt going anywhere, relax. And go to a gun show.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On a side note I have a lot of revolvers and even more semi-autos. My semi-auto 1911 Smith and Wesson jams once in a blue moon. Glocks, simply I have only seen one malfunction and that was when my wife limp-wristed it. Personally, I have never had a malfunction with a Glock and I shoot at the very least every other week. Revolvers have been flawless except for one .357 which fails repeatedly when at the range. About 2 to 3 times every twenty shots or so. It has been looked by a gunsmith and he can't figure out what is wrong. It is just a crappy gun.

Seen a few malfunctions in Glock shooters. Mostly shooter induced, usually by limp-wristing. Glocks most definitely do not approve of being limp-wristed... (Make of that what you will... a wink is as good as a knudge, aye? ;) ) Just had a really weird misfeed the other day; something led it to misfeed after ejecting the spent round, almost like it stovepiped the new round. One round out of a couple hundred fired... It happens... And I've seen one blow up; best guess there is a hot load from the factory, though we had some discussion that it was dirty. Loud bang, extractor rod assembly pushed out of the gun... But overall, if it's loaded, and you pull the trigger -- a Glock is going to shoot. Seen Sigs malfunction more from disrepair and poor maintenance... But that's still rare.

But, no matter how solid the reputation, sometimes, the parts just don't come together right. Something just a hair off here, another there... and you get a couple parts that are all within tolerance separately, but together... it's too much.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I served in the RNoAF, I also saw several incidents of glocks malfunction from limp wristing when shot by fresh recruits. I love glocks, but stuff like that won't happen at all with revolvers.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I served in the RNoAF, I also saw several incidents of glocks malfunction from limp wristing when shot by fresh recruits. I love glocks, but stuff like that won't happen at all with revolvers.

I'm going to say that it's not a gun malfunction if the shooter is limp wristing. That's a shooter malfunction...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to say that it's not a gun malfunction if the shooter is limp wristing. That's a shooter malfunction...
doesnt make the point less valid. that doesn't happen with revolvers. Shooters flaw or design limitation either way thats a + for team revolver

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
doesnt make the point less valid. that doesn't happen with revolvers. Shooters flaw or design limitation either way thats a + for team revolver

So is it a malfunction when someone doesn't know how to reload a revolver, or the difference between a DA/SA and a SA only revolver?

I've owned revolvers in the past, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another (but don't currently have any). I just don't see them as a great choice for the vast majority of carry situations. At this point, they're a niche item.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So is it a malfunction when someone doesn't know how to reload a revolver, or the difference between a DA/SA and a SA only revolver?
A malfunction no but a drawback perhaps. Limp wristing is a drawback to a weapon that uses energy from the rounds firing to cycle the weapon. You don't need that for a revolver it uses mechanical force to turn the cylinder.
Every gun is a niche item it all comes down to personal preference

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A malfunction no but a drawback perhaps. Limp wristing is a drawback to a weapon that uses energy from the rounds firing to cycle the weapon. You don't need that for a revolver it uses mechanical force to turn the cylinder.

So sometimes a shooter problem is a malfunction and sometimes it's not? OK...
Speaking specifically of limp wristing, though, that's strictly a training issue. Sue had an issue with it when she first started shooting, as do many new shooters. A little experience, and less flinching, and it eliminates itself.
Sort of like how the average shooter trying to reload a revolver might as well order a pizza, considering how long it will take. With experience, this can be improved. Not really to the speed of reloading a semi-auto (million round a year professionals excepted...) but much faster.
So are slow reloads a malfunction?

Every gun is a niche item it all comes down to personal preference

OK... so revolvers fill a tiny niche in todays world. Semi-autos fill a giant niche.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are theses revolvers you speak of? Has my weapon been superseded and no-one told me, damn!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So sometimes a shooter problem is a malfunction and sometimes it's not? OK...
There is a difference between a malfunction and a design shortfall.
Speaking specifically of limp wristing, though, that's strictly a training issue. Sue had an issue with it when she first started shooting, as do many new shooters. A little experience, and less flinching, and it eliminates itself.[\quote]
And a switch to a revolver also eliminates it
Sort of like how the average shooter trying to reload a revolver might as well order a pizza, considering how long it will take. With experience, this can be improved. Not really to the speed of reloading a semi-auto (million round a year professionals excepted...) but much faster.
Nope slow reloads are are design shortfall
OK... so revolvers fill a tiny niche in todays world. Semi-autos fill a giant niche.
Whatever floats your boat. Your kinda taking this revolver thing personal ok you win semi autos are the bestest of the bestest. In the end a gun is a gun is a gun and if I need one I don't care how it works as long as it does

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try a speed loader. With a little practice you can reload almost as fast as with a semi auto.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a difference between a malfunction and a design shortfall.

I thought we were talking about limp wristing? Limp wristing is nor a design shortfall. The Glock, which is admittedly prone to stovepiping as a result of limp wristing, is intended to be light. Light guns, since they have less inertia, are more prone to limp wristed stovepipes.
It's purely a shooter error. Same as the other things I mentioned.
And I do not think it's reasonable to blame the tool when it's the users problem.

Try a speed loader. With a little practice you can reload almost as fast as with a semi auto.

"Almost as fast" is not "as fast", and for a defensive weapon, speed and frequency of reloads are a huge issue. Both of which factors which the semi-auto wins, hands down.

Latest Discussions