Are competitive Sport Martial Artists superior?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Universal principles folks.

Btw, don’t threaten someone on your back bashing your head in from behind. That’s a fast way to end up with hamburger brains.

Gravity is a super power.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I freaking love this, this is something, those who have only done competitive fighting will never understand.

This ground fighting, on asphalt, is simply a meat grinder on your body. No one comes out on top.

This leads to to believe you have some street fighting experience. Yes?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay

Downward elbows are more effective than pretty much anything you can throw from the bottom.

So your ahah moment becomes a competition you are likely to loose.
your jumpibg in half way theough the discusion and contrdictibg points i havent made

the point was i thought simple and obvious, dont let them get in a position were they can eye poke or bite you. other wise irs quite likely they will eye poke or bite you, a lot of bjj, looks suspiciously in eye poke or biting range

its that simple and i really cant see that its not good, stand alone advice, for anyone

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Neither one of them does Bjj. The point is inferior versus dominant position, and how it's a universal principle.

The point once again flies over your head.

The very first thing I learned in grappling, the first three words we learned - position, position, position.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The very first thing I learned in grappling, the first three words we learned - position, position, position.
I remember my first BJJ class. I believe it was 2 hours long, went in with a friend. Did basic warmups, one instructor went over a drill with everyone else, and they spent the majority of the class rolling. The two of us went off with another instructor, learned about mount, side mount, and guard, and how to transition between them/how to keep them, and how to escape if needed. That took most of the class, and we did some resistance with each other. We spent the last like 10-15 minutes rolling with everyone else, with just that knowledge. IIRC, the next couple of classes we were paired up with each other/some purple+belts, and each time all we would be doing is put into a position and either try to keep it, escape it, or transition to a different position.

Everything builds from there; if you don't know positioning you're really just hoping the other person makes a mistake and gives you a lucky sub.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Same here. More importantly, I didn't understand its importance until I went into Bjj. It took me a long time to understand that your goal is to escape from an inferior position, not attack from an inferior position.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i want figures to back up you claim, a " fair bit" is not an ecxeptable answer

There are no figures to back up your claim.

So I don't need figures to refute it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The first thing I learned was get off the mat with your bloody shoes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
your jumpibg in half way theough the discusion and contrdictibg points i havent made

the point was i thought simple and obvious, dont let them get in a position were they can eye poke or bite you. other wise irs quite likely they will eye poke or bite you, a lot of bjj, looks suspiciously in eye poke or biting range

its that simple and i really cant see that its not good, stand alone advice, for anyone

That is two points.

But the better you can grapple the better you can eye gouge and bite people

So the best way to get bitten in a street fight is not to have done BJJ.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is two points.

But the better you can grapple the better you can eye gouge and bite people

So the best way to get bitten in a street fight is not to have done BJJ.

As an addition to this. You should in theory always be cross facing people. Or have chin control or shoulder of authority.

People don't because they wrestle lazy.

Rolling with biting would be a good way to emphasise the importance of good position.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
your clueless about real world violence, your no better than, than the hobby ma you like to ridicule

there not rryibf to win a fight, they are trying to kill you failing that to maim ,

the protocol you want them to follow is not to attack from an inferior postion, and that whhen they will attacked hardest and wish to cause the most damage, if they are winning there no point going for the eyes,
What if, stay with me here, everyone on this forum who is not professionally violent is clueless when it come to real world violence? And what if that's actually the point?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if, stay with me here, everyone on this forum who is not professionally violent is clueless when it come to real world violence? And what if that's actually the point?

Uh oh. This many be a Morpheus moment. :)

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Would you prefer this video? The same principles apply here as well.

So you do not have any real personal knowledge yourself? I am only asking, because it will go a long way, in determine whether or not I value your opinion.

Not an insult, I simply want know if your opinion, is based on personal knowledge, in fighting for your life.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you do not have any real personal knowledge yourself? I am only asking, because it will go a long way, in determine whether or not I value your opinion.

Not an insult, I simply want know if your opinion, is based on personal knowledge, in fighting for your life.

Ive been in three physical altercations in the last 25 years. Two of those were life threatening, and I used Bjj to get out of both of those situations. Overall, I tend to avoid getting into dangerous encounters, since there’s no logical reason to purposely look for violence. Also due to my size, I’m typically able to avoid altercations because of that alone. Predators don’t tend to not go after bald men 6’ and over with a large frame.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ive been in three physical altercations in the last 25 years. Two of those were life threatening, and I used Bjj to get out of both of those situations. Overall, I tend to avoid getting into dangerous encounters, since there’s no logical reason to purposely look for violence. Also due to my size, I’m typically able to avoid altercations because of that alone. Predators don’t tend to not go after bald men 6’ and over with a large frame.
This type of experience, is very valuable to me as I have been considering looking into doing BJJ for a personal knowledge of the system.

I am relocating to the Vancouver WA. area and there are a couple of schools in the area. I have zero knowledge of these schools or even the instructors teaching the system.

Although Renzo Gracie JJ, out of Portland, is a name I recognize. Do you have any opinion concerning this gym?

I myself am husky guy and wondered if my size would be an issue.

Thank you for the information, I read more into your post than just the combat aspect of BJJ.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This type of experience, is very valuable to me as I have been considering looking into doing BJJ for a personal knowledge of the system.

I am relocating to the Vancouver WA. area and there are a couple of schools in the area. I have zero knowledge of these schools or even the instructors teaching the system.

Although Renzo Gracie JJ, out of Portland, is a name I recognize. Do you have any opinion concerning this gym?

I myself am husky guy and wondered if my size would be an issue.

Thank you for the information, I read more into your post than just the combat aspect of BJJ.

If you're talking about this gym;

Renzo Gracie Portland | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Gi | No Gi - Renzo Gracie Academy Portland

You're in good hands. The head instructor got his black belt from John Danaher, so he's legit as they come. Also he has a pretty stacked team of black belts and upper belts on his instructional staff, so yeah, that's a very good school.

That said, make sure you shop around. There's a lot of good Bjj schools in that area, and the pedigree of the instructional staff doesn't mean much if the culture of the gym is trash, or if they have insane monthly fees. Most of those schools should have a trial period, and I would take full advantage of it.

Your size won't be an issue. In fact, some people greatly value rolling with larger people, because it enhances their game.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Nice, yeah they do have a free week trial and looking at the reviews, it appears that the gym and the instructors are excellent. But, yes most definitely I will visit several of the gyms in the area, before making my decision.

Thank you for the information and when I choose a place, I will keep you updated on my experience.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you're talking about this gym;

Renzo Gracie Portland | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu | Gi | No Gi - Renzo Gracie Academy Portland

You're in good hands. The head instructor got his black belt from John Danaher, so he's legit as they come. Also he has a pretty stacked team of black belts and upper belts on his instructional staff, so yeah, that's a very good school.

That said, make sure you shop around. There's a lot of good Bjj schools in that area, and the pedigree of the instructional staff doesn't mean much if the culture of the gym is trash, or if they have insane monthly fees. Most of those schools should have a trial period, and I would take full advantage of it.

Your size won't be an issue. In fact, some people greatly value rolling with larger people, because it enhances their game.
There's a ton of excellent bjj in that area.

Latest Discussions