What does Black Belt mean to "YOU".

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been in martial arts long enough to allow my first teaching to permeate my life in such a way as to evaluate my day to day encounters by a certain standard. My first Sensei was tough as nails, very strict, but above all, fair. When I first walked into the DoJo, I fully expected to learn how to defend myself, that was never in question. But, in the insuring years, what dominated, was a certain code of conduct, that was gospel. We were taught to look up to Black Belts, not in a God like way, but as someone or something to strive toward. This wasn’t because of any fighting ability, but because of the way they conducted themselves. You see, from day one we were taught respect, integrity, discipline over our bodies, and a sense of fair play, all within a curriculum of self defense. Please, within this thread, tell us where your training is taking you and where you have arrived at.:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been in martial arts long enough to allow my first teaching to permeate my life in such a way as to evaluate my day to day encounters by a certain standard. My first Sensei was tough as nails, very strict, but above all, fair. When I first walked into the DoJo, I fully expected to learn how to defend myself, that was never in question. But, in the insuring years, what dominated, was a certain code of conduct, that was gospel. We were taught to look up to Black Belts, not in a God like way, but as someone or something to strive toward. This wasn’t because of any fighting ability, but because of the way they conducted themselves. You see, from day one we were taught respect, integrity, discipline over our bodies, and a sense of fair play, all within a curriculum of self defense. Please, within this thread, tell us where your training is taking you and where you have arrived at.:asian:

Likewise, I was taught to view the black belts in the same way as you describe. Sadly though, I've seen people wearing a black belt, who certainly dont live up to the description that you gave. I view the BB as the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Its the point where you (hopefully) have mastered, to a point, the material that led up to the black belt. I say hopefully, because if you have a good teacher, this is what they will ensure happens. Once we reach that point, IMHO, I really dont feel that its necessary to learn more techniques or kata. I mean think about it...from white to black, depending on the art you train in, there are large numbers of both. As an example: I recently asked one of my Arnis teachers, if there was material beyond the BB level. I've already tested and earned my Arnis BB, so I was just curious. His answer: No, there is no new material. However, what it involves now, much like anything else, is going back and really working the material. How well do you really know it? I've been teaching for quite a few years, and I'm still amazed at people, when I show them something, they do it a few times, and then say, "Ok, whats next?" LOL. Imagine that...I never knew it was that easy....learn a tech., train it for 5min, and suddenly you know the ins and outs. Umm..yeah, alrighty then. LOL.

So, thats the point that I'm at. I have all of my Kenpo and Arnis requirements. Now, with each session, I take something and rip it apart. I'm not as big of a kata junkie as some people are, but I do find myself, looking closer at each move, trying to understand things better. After all, if I'm going to be teaching this stuff, I better be able to make sure that my students understand that there is more than just what they're seeing on the surface. :)

Of course, I just dont limit my training to that. I'll take certain things, and drill them differently. For example: knife work. Instead of the typical standard defenses, I'll start looking at other types of attacks, different scenarios, etc.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my take on it, I have been doing this way to long and I am too stupid to walk away.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me personally, a BB is just a marker along the journey. It's never been about belts for me, it's the training. Hell, if I had my way I would still be a white belt! I only tested for BB because my instructor made me.

Back in the day, a BB was something that was not given out all the time. So it was very much something to look up to. I used to ask my dad why he would still train when he had a BB. Now I understand. The bottom line to me is, if the students can walk out of the dojo and defend themself, no matter what color the belt, then as instructors, you're doing your job.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I studied (still do when I can travel to see him) karate with an Okinawan. We had a dojo kun but rarely recited it and I can count the number of class-wide "moral" lessons from Sensei on 1 hand. It seemed that he selected his students carefully as it was not a public dojo and really didn't do much to try to improve his students spiritually.

My other two arts of tae kwon do and aikido were chock full of self-improvement concepts.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
BB mean that a karateka has finished basic training and is now done their color Kyu's.

Now they're ready for the real stuff.

I think of it as someone who has done their time in professional minor hockey and is now ready for the NHL (yes I am a hopeless hockey nut lol)

I look up to my BB's. I said to my NiDan, 'I want to be you one day. Can I? Can I, Bruce? Be like you one day?" and he said Sure you can. Just keep training keep at it, work hard"

He's my friend in the dojo as are my Senseis and Sempai and the rest.

I dont know about everyone here, what you think, but martial artists seem to be a different type of person than the average shmuck. To my mind anyway. They seem more gentle, more humble, more like Teddy Bears than BB's, haha. more understanding, more accomodating.

I've always had a problem with 'fitting in' at society. But in the dojo I am 'one of the family' and a favorite of the Senseis. My senseis told me I am a fave of theirs and they treat me like I am special to them in their eyes. I am afraid of people actually away from the dojo. I'm actually shy and quiet (because of how people treat me) But in the dojo never afraid of anyone.

Thats what Black Belt means to me. That you should be that kind of person.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The concept of "Black belt", standing only on its own, means absolutely nothing to me. That is because black belts, like university degrees and religious ordinations, may be readily purchased. So, perhaps it means one is a wise shopper with checks that clear.

Now, if you say: "Black Belt - - - promoted by Greg Tearney" or "3d Degree Black Belt under Eduardo Trotman"..... THAT tells me some significant things of the holder.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't there a thread on this already? I could swear that I posted in one and gave my explination once. Pretty long thread too.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's a piece of string to hold my pants up and to an extent show that I have a wee bit of experience.

The path I have chosen (which included dabbling in different systems, and which I will continue to do) has lead me so far.
I've tried already 8 systems, but none of them long enough to ever get the Black belt. I always seemed to slack off in those days when BB came along.

All I can say is that I've learned alot, but still have to get my black rope.
Martial Arts taught me to forget my ego, to walk tall, to look into people's eyes, to work for something to get it and to be honest.

That and it has kept me clean the last 6 years. Probably the best thing I've learned from it.

Just part of my journey on this earth.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't there a thread on this already? I could swear that I posted in one and gave my explination once. Pretty long thread too.
There may be, I'm not sure. If you can find it repost it here. and join in.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How important does everyone feel about the character building aspect pertaining to martial arts? Do you think it should be a part of the whole picture?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Found it. And guess what I started.
icon10.gif
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80856

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How important does everyone feel about the character building aspect pertaining to martial arts? Do you think it should be a part of the whole picture?

I buy into it if it means that the sensei only takes on small numbers of students at a time and thus could materially affect his students by example. I am not a big fan of tactics like "word for the week" where the student is supposed to meditate on something like "Discipline!" or "Integrity!".

I'll be honest... I have the honor to hold a dan rank in aikido and I'm sometimes frustrated by the various rituals and protocol in the art. I also am decidedly NOT a pacifist unlike many other students in the same art. Some might say that means I am not a true aikidoist. It's something I ponder frequently trying to reconcile as I drill in karate or aikido.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the importance and effectiveness are inversely proportional to the amount of time talking about such virtues and codes of conduct.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Very important. In Kobudo, control coming from character is neccessary when a tori performs a technique. The recieving uki shouldn't let his ego come out as well.

In my opinion control of the body goes hand in hand with character building.

Character in this crazy world is becoming a rare virtue. Too much people drift away on their feelings.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I buy into it if it means that the sensei only takes on small numbers of students at a time and thus could materially affect his students by example. I am not a big fan of tactics like "word for the week" where the student is supposed to meditate on something like "Discipline!" or "Integrity!".

I'll be honest... I have the honor to hold a dan rank in aikido and I'm sometimes frustrated by the various rituals and protocol in the art. I also am decidedly NOT a pacifist unlike many other students in the same art. Some might say that means I am not a true aikidoist. It's something I ponder frequently trying to reconcile as I drill in karate or aikido.
The dark words above are my feeling also. Character and all the clichés that go along with it are just words. I feel that the techniques we teach and learn, need to be passed down to people of sound "character" forged on the training floor, by hard work, by a sensei that is a role model. Pacifist I am not, but when you are teaching a student to hurt someone, that same person needs to have a base line to work from so they know when and how their art should be applied. I think this is what you are saying.:asian:

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very important. In Kobudo, control coming from character is necessary when a tori performs a technique. The receiving uki shouldn't let his ego come out as well.

In my opinion control of the body goes hand in hand with character building.

Character in this crazy world is becoming a rare virtue. Too much people drift away on their feelings.
I have seen to many black belts of very bad character shoot their big mouth off at the wrong time and in the wrong place, only to get their butt handed back to them. Hard word, along with pushing our bodies past a certain point builds strong character. Somewhere in the journey from white belt to black belt a student needs to be pushed just enough to test that virtue of character. If it's my student, it is a must.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The concept of "Black belt", standing only on its own, means absolutely nothing to me. That is because black belts, like university degrees and religious ordinations, may be readily purchased. So, perhaps it means one is a wise shopper with checks that clear.

Now, if you say: "Black Belt - - - promoted by Greg Tearney" or "3d Degree Black Belt under Eduardo Trotman"..... THAT tells me some significant things of the holder.
Yes, there was a point in time when the sparring floor held no sanctuary, and it took a certain person to stay the course, until that match was over. Many a strong character was forged or broken in that day on that floor. These two men were a major part of that forging process. :asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of those questions, the answer to which depends upon context. However ...

In terms of sheer practicality, Dan grade means that you have proved well enough that you can learn the techniques of your style. Now the time has come to begin to improve i.e. you are no longer considered to be a 'beginner'.

In terms of that elusive 'character', it should mean that you have come to an understanding that ego (here meaning an undeservedly inflated opinion of ones self) is not a desired characteristic in either a martial artist or one who trains solely in order to be able to fight. For the former it hinders the gaining of a fuller understanding and interpretation the art; for the latter, it will lead to fights being lost or caused unnecessarily.