Any hockey fans?

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It'd be nice to see the cup in Philly, but unlikely. Still want the Flame to get it!! OR failing that, maybe the Avs. So long as the Sens don't win, I'm fine with whoever does. :ultracool

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
you one of those canadians still sore at losing your team? get over it!

btw, they just made it a series :) go canes!

Always been a canadiens fan since I was 5. My Parents are from Canada and I played Hockey for about 16 years...

I grew up in CT and used to go to the Whaler games to watch Montreal play..I do miss it here..Hey its not like they are breaking any attendence records in Carolina either..

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:
Always been a canadiens fan since I was 5. My Parents are from Canada and I played Hockey for about 16 years...

I grew up in CT and used to go to the Whaler games to watch Montreal play..I do miss it here..Hey its not like they are breaking any attendence records in Carolina either..

I understand... cities lose teams over time. its part of the business. I don't see most cities mourning for losses decades though... I think a large part of it is that ESPN is located near Hartford, and they are sore about it. I don't mind seeing the occassional jersey worn at games, but people need to accept the fact that the Whalers are no more. They are not coming back.

Carolina did ok in attendence this year. had a decent number of sell outs. I'd like to see it consistent, but Carolina is not a traditional market and it takes time for it to grow on the populace... Like alot of sports, attendence tends to flucuate with performance of the team. I'd enjoy seeing a large group of more dedicated fans. I enjoyed the Raleigh Ice Caps before the Canes came to town, but I'm pretty much the exception :)

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry guys,

as a brit who's bored to tears with the slow, boring cissies games that you call soccer, I LOVE hockey, it's fast, exiting, has loads of action, hits, is end to end, and IMHO, you need to pretty skillful to play it. So why oh why is it so hard to market? I know it'll never beat grid iron, baseball, basket ball etc, but again, IMHO it's far more exiting than them? NFL's ok, but at the risk of sounding mildly heretical, it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to stop/start every 10 seconds. Too many breaks, not enough action. Base ball is just rounders, and basket ball's ok, but again, IMVHO, not as exiting. I simply cannot understand the problem marketing hockey. Is it seen predominantly as a Canadian game, and as such a "foreign invader" in the US, which let's face it, more than 2/3rds of the teams in the NHL are based is a big decider?

Is it because playing a game on ice in states such as Florida etc, where the weather is generally warm, is seen as odd? I just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me?

In the UK, if it's not cricket, rugby (which is also a fav of mine) and soccer, the Brits in the main don't seem to want to know, again an insular thing. Very odd.

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Sorry guys,

as a brit who's bored to tears with the slow, boring cissies games that you call soccer, I LOVE hockey, it's fast, exiting, has loads of action, hits, is end to end, and IMHO, you need to pretty skillful to play it. So why oh why is it so hard to market? I know it'll never beat grid iron, baseball, basket ball etc, but again, IMHO it's far more exiting than them? NFL's ok, but at the risk of sounding mildly heretical, it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to stop/start every 10 seconds. Too many breaks, not enough action. Base ball is just rounders, and basket ball's ok, but again, IMVHO, not as exiting. I simply cannot understand the problem marketing hockey. Is it seen predominantly as a Canadian game, and as such a "foreign invader" in the US, which let's face it, more than 2/3rds of the teams in the NHL are based is a big decider?

Is it because playing a game on ice in states such as Florida etc, where the weather is generally warm, is seen as odd? I just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me?

In the UK, if it's not cricket, rugby (which is also a fav of mine) and soccer, the Brits in the main don't seem to want to know, again an insular thing. Very odd.

Problem is the game of hockey is not easily conveyed via television. Its almost too fast. The puck is hard to follow. (remember the glow puck)..
Widescreen and HD will make watching it a much better viewer experience. This si the main reason in my opinion why it is not a popular TV sport. Get most people to a hockey game in person and most will tell you it is the best to watch in person..(even if they are not a fan of the game)

Like I said before, I played for many years so I am able to see and appreciate plays being formed and I love a great pass..(no matter who is making it)

However your average viewer cannot see this. Most Americans never step foot in an Ice rink where in Canada its their 'little league' and part of thier culture. I agree with everything about the other sports..Baseball.snore..
Nascar..cars turning left for 4 hours..c'mon..

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:
Problem is the game of hockey is not easily conveyed via television. Its almost too fast. The puck is hard to follow. (remember the glow puck)..
Widescreen and HD will make watching it a much better viewer experience. This si the main reason in my opinion why it is not a popular TV sport. Get most people to a hockey game in person and most will tell you it is the best to watch in person..(even if they are not a fan of the game)

Like I said before, I played for many years so I am able to see and appreciate plays being formed and I love a great pass..(no matter who is making it)

However your average viewer cannot see this. Most Americans never step foot in an Ice rink where in Canada its their 'little league' and part of thier culture. I agree with everything about the other sports..Baseball.snore..
Nascar..cars turning left for 4 hours..c'mon..

:boing1:

Good point. I've been to two Coventry Blaze games in the UK, and they were good fun. My partners 10 year old girl loved it, especially the fights, she got right into it, slamming on the glass and virtually baying for blood. That's ma girl. ;)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Red Wings fan here. Sure hope the Wings find a way to beat the trap. I would rather see the teams skate than dump-n-chase.

Go Wings!

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
crushing said:
Red Wings fan here. Sure hope the Wings find a way to beat the trap. I would rather see the teams skate than dump-n-chase.

Go Wings!

Hell yeah. Did you see Canada do that constantly during the Olympics. How frustrating to watch?!?! Mind you, that's what happens when you have PQ coaching the team. He's ok, but I'm glad he's left the Leafs.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Darn right, I love Cherry! That is one guy who calls it like he sees it and who gives a rip what sponsers may think. I grew up in Michigan and that is a hockey state for the most part. Once you get north (say Ya to Da UP, Eh!), hockey is THE sport in schools and football is for the guys who can't take a good check. My oldest son from the time he could walk would RUN into the room whenever he heard the opening theme to "Hockey Night in Canada." I think if more people could go see a live game, any level, they would be hooked for life. My best friend here in Maine is an artist who grew up in Virginia and could never understand why I watched hockey; until I drug him down to a college game between University of Maine Black Bears and UNH, now every year he throws playoff parties and his wife hates me for the entire hockey season.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I wonder how the owner of the Bruins feels. He's in Buffalo, but, owns a Boston team. then again, judging by how the Bruins organization has been run, the question has been answered. He's a A Sabres fan!
icon13.gif

He really needs to come home and do some work in...the...garden:roflmao:

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Quinn's an idiot. I think they should let Cherry coach next time....

:supcool:

Nah mate, think it'll be Paul Maurice.

As for the Sens winning, BOOOOO Sens.... ;)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kensai said:
:supcool:

Nah mate, think it'll be Paul Maurice.

As for the Sens winning, BOOOOO Sens.... ;)

Maurice is a good coach... part of me misses him in Carolina. Would be a good choice...

Great weekend of hockey! can't wait for the next round! Go 'Canes!
Jason

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Oilers skated better on the Ice.

The Oilers cam back from 2 to 0 and scored three good goals in the third period.

The Oiler most likely would have won the game and the series.

I think the better team on the ice did get to move forward.

The problem I have is the call for the third goal. Not because it went against the Red Wings, but because now it calls into doubt what the Oilers have done or could have done anyways.

In many of the replays there was no direct data to review to refute the call for goal. Yet in one I did see a foot contact with the puck. And to back this up if you look at the other replies no Oilers sticks were on the ice anywhere near the puck they were all up in the air.

The Oilers deserve better than being questioned, I hope they go on to beat the next round as well to make a point.

Just my thoughts on this subject. (* Read Wings Fan *)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With work and class I haven't been keeping up with the playoffs (not even SportsCenter). Are my Flyers done yet? I know I could check ESPN.com, but you guys are more fun (and colorful).

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, the better team on the ice for the last few weeks won last night, and my beloved Redwings get to watch the rest of the fight for the Cup on TV like the rest of us. Boo-Hoo!!

Honestly, have to give the Oilers credit for some great hockey and most importantly HEART.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
Yep, the better team on the ice for the last few weeks won last night, and my beloved Redwings get to watch the rest of the fight for the Cup on TV like the rest of us. Boo-Hoo!!

Honestly, have to give the Oilers credit for some great hockey and most importantly HEART.

That was my point. I just did not want anyone to take anyway from what they had done. No matter what or who is your favorite team. ;) :D

Latest Discussions