Any hockey fans?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The next round in the east is going to be quite interesting....

I want to try and watch Buffalo vs Ottowa. I think Buffalo has a very good shot of stopping them... its going to be interesting!

Carolina vs NJ is going to be great! with NJ on such a streak and Carolina finishing strong, its bound to be intensely fought. If Carolina can sneak out an early win, I'm hoping it can go in their favor!

Both Buffalo and Carolina have been suprises this year... that would be a -great- conference finals game!

I have heard that the NHL might not like the results so far... major market teams such as the Rangers and Detroit are out. I'm still going to enjoy it though :)

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
The next round in the east is going to be quite interesting....

I want to try and watch Buffalo vs Ottowa. I think Buffalo has a very good shot of stopping them... its going to be interesting!

Carolina vs NJ is going to be great! with NJ on such a streak and Carolina finishing strong, its bound to be intensely fought. If Carolina can sneak out an early win, I'm hoping it can go in their favor!

Both Buffalo and Carolina have been suprises this year... that would be a -great- conference finals game!

I have heard that the NHL might not like the results so far... major market teams such as the Rangers and Detroit are out. I'm still going to enjoy it though :)

Hey guys, just posting from down under. Awesome place... Let's hear it for NZ. I think the Sabres have a good chance of stopping the Sens. I truly hope they do anyway.

Who was it asked if the Flyers were out? I'm afraid they are, AND the Flame. Couldn't believe that. FFS:rolleyes:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Second round has been interesting... the come back by the Canes was amazing to watch. Nice seeing the Sabres doing well too... The Sabres have done great, winning both on the road. I'd be shocked to see a sweep though. The Canes are now on the road, so I doubt a sweep will happen. I'd not be suprised to see a split on the road...

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm half Scottish, half Canadian. Fighting & hockey - it's in my genes baby!!! :mp5: :jedi1:

Was living in Calgary during the '04 playoffs - man, the place was mad!!! :partyon: Gutted that they lost (although we all saw the puck go in the net at the end of game six before extra time was called..........! Sorry, sore spot). I'm back in bonny Scotland now and really really miss hockey - although MA is filling the gap at the moment :ultracool

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG!! How did I miss this one?!?!

As a long-suffering Blackhawks fan... I'd love to see Buffalo take it all,because it's been a while,eh? I really enjoy watching them..and the fact that they are probably the best team makes it even better. What do they have,like 9 players with 3 or more goals in the playoffs..That's sick!

What I really enjoy is the "new NHL" look..smaller,faster teams seem to be eating the big guys up and letting their skill take over. In all it makes for even more enjoyable play-off action,if that's possible. God bless NHL Center-Ice..I've watched more play-off hockey than ever.

By the way..how great was that Umburger(sp?) hit..OMG.:sniper:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kensai said:
:supcool:

Nah mate, think it'll be Paul Maurice.

As for the Sens winning, BOOOOO Sens.... ;)

Looks like the Leafs picked up Maurice. He took the Canes to the Cup in '02. He will be a great coach. Good for them!

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He was definitely a good coach..who knows how he will do in the "New NHL"..it seems like teams that play the trap(barring New Jersey) don't do that well..wasn't he more of a "defense first" type of guy?

That and he looks like he's 12,but hey...look at some of the coaches we've had in Chicago... Alpo Suhonen? Stop right there.

Pat Quinn did a decent job in Toronto,but the time for the grinding style of play and catering to the old vets is over..it's speed and skill or nothing. I don't think the Leaf fans mind a whole lot who coaches right now..just make it past the first round for once.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul B said:
He was definitely a good coach..who knows how he will do in the "New NHL"..it seems like teams that play the trap(barring New Jersey) don't do that well..wasn't he more of a "defense first" type of guy?

That and he looks like he's 12,but hey...look at some of the coaches we've had in Chicago... Alpo Suhonen? Stop right there.

Pat Quinn did a decent job in Toronto,but the time for the grinding style of play and catering to the old vets is over..it's speed and skill or nothing. I don't think the Leaf fans mind a whole lot who coaches right now..just make it past the first round for once.

Bang on the money. All Leafs fans, even the really whiny ones that cause people to hate the Leafs although they liked Quinn, he really paid no attention to defence throughout his tenure there, otherwise he wouldn't have kept playing Aki Berg and Wade Belak, sometimes as a defensive pairing!!! He also showed extreme reluctance in playing the kids, and instead put the slow, big, knackered old names onto the ice, and watched as they had rings skated round them. TO does have some really great kids coming through the ranks, Stajan, Wellwood, Steen, Ben Ondrus, White etc etc, and they'd only get better by playing more, but PQ played Stajan for an avg of 5 mins per game, I mean, come on.... Hopefully Maurice will change the emphasis on big, slow, old names, and beef up the defence a lot. The Leafs were always one of those teams that you might put 4 past them, but they could put 5 or 6 past you, this season they failed to defend well, or even generally set up good attacking play with heart and skill, and that's why they're all playing golf, and not battling for their very existance in the playoffs. Pains me to say, but it's true.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the cup play going the way people thought it would
I pocked ottawa but it looks like buffalo is going to smoke them
some of the teams winning are not what i would have picked

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are out some BIG money. We've gotten to see the big money teams out in the first round...Wings,Stars,Flyers..who'd a thunk it?

I don't think anyone could've foreseen how these playoffs are going..seriously..a couple teams really did a number by flying under the radar and then proceeding to smack the living hell out of first place teams. I like anytime a team goes in the underdog by a wide margin and does that..maybe that's why I'm a Blackhawk fan..except for the winning part,and the playoff part...aww forget it.

I'm really looking forward to tonight's Sabres/Sens game..I think we're in for another game 1.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
woo! Canes get through to the conference finals... Playing the Sabres, the match I've been looking forward to...

oilers and ducks? what do people think of that possible match up?

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow!! Go Canes! You called it!! I really thought NJ might turn it around after that 5-1 shocker. Good for Carolina..I hope they make it to the big dance. Brind'amour (sp?) is unbelievable..the way he just keeps going and going..jeez. Any word on Stillman yet?

I have the Ducks coming out of the West..just because they're speedier and a tad more talented up front. I think the Oilers are going to make 'em work for it,though and will take the body every chance they get. Maybe they'll grind 'em down,maybe not..it'll be fun watching 'em try,eh?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cival war at my place my wife is from N.C, and my son loves the sabers
If im smart i'll just keep my tap shut while the games are on

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Wow!! Go Canes! You called it!! I really thought NJ might turn it around after that 5-1 shocker. Good for Carolina..I hope they make it to the big dance. Brind'amour (sp?) is unbelievable..the way he just keeps going and going..jeez. Any word on Stillman yet?

I have the Ducks coming out of the West..just because they're speedier and a tad more talented up front. I think the Oilers are going to make 'em work for it,though and will take the body every chance they get. Maybe they'll grind 'em down,maybe not..it'll be fun watching 'em try,eh?

Brind'amour is incredible. Playing like he is 10 years younger. He is probably one of the most fit people in the NHL. Double shifts a decent amount. Almost always has the most ice time. Stillman should be back in time for the next round, possibly miss one game. Keeping my fingers crossed! I just pray that Cole can come back at some point. However, I don't want his neck injury getting any worse... that does bring up an interesting point though... he might disturb the chemistry on the ice if he does come back. He is one of the favored players here though, and if he steps on the ice in Raleigh, the place is going to absolutely explode!

Ducks are a great team... I'm looking forward to watching the Western Finals. I normally don't watch too much of the west until the finals though, not enough time to catch so many games! What are some of the names I should be watching for the finals?

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Names?:) I might know a few..

Oilers:

1.Chris Pronger..if you don't know he is an all-star defensemen with an absolute cannon from the blue-line which he uses often..you can actually see all of the defenders flinch when he lets it rip..it's great. He also runs people over so it should be a good series for him. (if he can catch any Ducks)

2. Ryan Smith: An "in your face" agitator..but an excellent tipper(as in puck deflection,not to waitresses) and a General on the ice..fun to watch.

3. Duane Roloson: Had some outstanding saves in the last series. Also,he has made a habit out of flopping around like a fish if somebody bumps into him..so he's entertaining at least.

Ducks:

1. Teemu Selanne: I'm pretty sure you've heard of him.

2. The Neidermeyer Boys, Scott and Rob: They are due for some big games..I expect to see them step it up a notch.

I haven't really seen a whole lot of the Ducks this year..I just tuned in for about 5 minutes to see them use Colorado for pylons so it's probably the team I'm least familiar with. I do think it's going to be a great series,though. What do you think is going to happen in the East?

Oh..and TSC...I'd put a TV in the garage for a week or two.:)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man! In addition to the Wings, my local UHL team is out of it now too. Go (AHL) Griffins!!!

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, the Oil are looking strong in the West, with Buffalo looking strong early contenders in the East, either way, who would have thought it at the start of the season. Would you Adam and Eve it...

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed..a lot of people are still dazed from the first two rounds,I bet. I'm just looking forward to the draft for Chicago..(Yes..I am *that* much of a fan:) )

Hey MrH..I heard Cole's skating again..any word?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Agreed..a lot of people are still dazed from the first two rounds,I bet. I'm just looking forward to the draft for Chicago..(Yes..I am *that* much of a fan:) )

Hey MrH..I heard Cole's skating again..any word?

He had his first full practice today. Word is he is hoping for playing in one week. *keeps fingers crossed*

I did not get to see the first game :( so sad...

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The OIL are through!! COME ON THE OIL!!! Even as a Leafs fan, I gotta hand it to them, they know how to follow a team with heart and passion, I can't stand the ACC with it's suits, and the lack of singing!

Check it:

LET'S GO OIL LET'S GO!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions