Another Self defence system

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Urgh the Daily Heil! The Nazi newspaper that is the epitome of racist homophobic hatred. I don't even look at it in the shop, it's disgusting.

Meh, I don't get involved in politics.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, I don't get involved in politics.

You should or else when they come for you there will be no one left to help you.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it comes down to what are the chances of you having to defend yourself against someone with formal fight training? For example, one of the first things i was taught in kickboxing is never fight with completely straight legs, because if you get kicked in the knee when your leg is completely straight it can cause a lot of damage. Now how many untrained people know something like that?
In our training, we avoid a straight leg simply for structural reasons. I never really gave thought to the danger of getting kicked in one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old saying said, "If you want to teach someone, you don't fight him. If you want to fight someone, you don't teach him." Why should you teach someone how to beat you up? You can't be that stupid.
I'd love for one of my students to get good enough to do that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know the technique works somewhere. We have a much bigger culture of people claiming ******** unless it is tested.

And the guy we seminar with, Rob, Is kind of a mental case for that. He will go through a whole room of MMA guys trying to bash him just foot sweeping everybody.

This is derek and rob. Two people who do really good seminars. And they will allways mix it up.

That way you dont get the issue of it just works in theory.
"Works somewhere" is an entirely different thing than "I can learn to do it".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Works somewhere" is an entirely different thing than "I can learn to do it".

You start with works somewhere though. Before you get to I can learn to do that.

Mostly. I mean taking out the innovators.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd love for one of my students to get good enough to do that.
The teacher can offer to spar/wrestle with his students. The students should not ask their teacher to spar/wrestle with them. That's "MA tradition" and everybody should protect it, We will all get old or get sick some day. It makes no sense for a 20 years old student to beat up a 90 years old teacher in any MA system.

A: Dear master! May I have the honor to spar with you?
B: If you don't mind to help me to get up from my wheelchair, I don't mind to spar with you for 15 rounds.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The teacher can offer to spar/wrestle with his students. The students should not ask their teacher to spar/wrestle with them. That's "MA tradition" and everybody should protect it, We will all get old or get sick some day. It makes no sense for a 20 years old student to beat up a 90 years old teacher in any MA system.

B: If you don't mind to help me to get out of my wheelchair, I would love to spar with you.

That is an extreme example though. What if there is no obvious disadvantage for the instructor?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is an extreme example though. What if there is no obvious disadvantage for the instructor?
Again for MA tradition, a student should never ask his teacher to spar/wrestle with him. Some teacher don't like to teach his students how to counter his best techniques for the reason as I have described.

Last edited:
OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Again for MA tradition, a student should never ask his teacher to spar/wrestle with him. Some teacher don't like to teach his students how to counter his best techniques for the reason as I have described.

I don't know about you but I'd rather spar a senior student and have the instructor spectate so that he can give me accurate feedback on my technique, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

B: If you don't mind to help me to get up from my wheelchair, I don't mind to spar with you for 15 rounds.
I disagree. My students can ask to spar/wrestle me at any point. I don't really care to protect that tradition. Someday, someone will be able to beat me. If I'm too old to be fun to wrestle with, I might decline the invitation, or I might still spar/wrestle them for my fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or even if there is, but nothing extreme. If a student comes in from another art, they might well be able to beat me in either format. I'm okay with that. If they can beat me in both, I'd ask them why they are training under me - at the very least, they ought to cross-train somewhere they have someone who can beat them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach my students to counter everything I can think of. One of my students gets excited when I do something he hasn't seen, especially when I get him into a pin or lock on the ground (pulling out my old Judo training, mostly), or when I do something that shuts down what he thought was a big opening. So I show him.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
There seems to be a running concept that a MA instructor should be invincible. I really don't agree with this sentiment. The idea that a self defense instructor should have a curriculum that works and is functional is a a given, but somehow we jump to the conclusion that he should be able to easily dominate the room. I remember a season of the ufc TUFF. There was a well known BJJ coach who decided to try the competition and live in the house. He lost his fights miserably but that doesn't make him a bad grappling coach.
I am not sure if it's the students who expect the teacher to beat everyone or the ego of the teacher to be and remain the best. It's probably a chicken and egg complex.
Does it depend on age alone? Helio was old but he didn't lose people's respect even though his ability was diminished over time. Do we only respect those who are better than us?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There seems to be a running concept that a MA instructor should be invincible. I really don't agree with this sentiment. The idea that a self defense instructor should have a curriculum that works and is functional is a a given, but somehow we jump to the conclusion that he should be able to easily dominate the room. I remember a season of the ufc TUFF. There was a well known BJJ coach who decided to try the competition and live in the house. He lost his fights miserably but that doesn't make him a bad grappling coach.
I am not sure if it's the students who expect the teacher to beat everyone or the ego of the teacher to be and remain the best. It's probably a chicken and egg complex.
Does it depend on age alone? Helio was old but he didn't lose people's respect even though his ability was diminished over time. Do we only respect those who are better than us?
yes i think that its a concept that's in a number of sports at an amateur level but not at a professional level. you expect you golf coach to be better at golf than you are,

Latest Discussions