Another Self defence system

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heard of John Jones?
i don't follow American sport, they may come as a surprise to you Americans, but all the examples posted were English apart from Angelo Dundee, who was remarkably famous because of c clay you can spend the rest of the day posting up Americans,i don't know my Chicago bears from my Boston red socks

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait for it. One fighter does not make a trend.

i don't know what your trying to prove with this, i said coaches that didn't play them selves are rare, nothing you or anyone else has posted, has shown it to be untrue. This is mma, its not even a real sport, just organised pub fights

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You and I are about the same age, Jobo (I'm 62), but age can affect each of us differently. In my early fifties, Like you, I was still in great shape and kept it up until pretty recently --especially my conditioning. I thought I could hold on for decades! But, in the last couple of years, injuries (back, knees, ankles) have made it painful just to be on my feet for too long, much less run. And, without the cardio, my weight has gone up some too. :eek:
I'm 8 years older than you. I just came home and finished my 3 miles running and stretching in the park. Last month I had a 1 on 1 private 3 hours lesson with a new student. Since there wasn't another person around, I had to be his throwing dummy. After that 3 hours, I did feel tired big time. My new student did say he was quite surprised how fast I could still get back up after he had thrown me down to the ground. I told him that my teacher used to call be a "human bouncing ball".

Last year I still wrestled with 2 wrestlers in the park who were 45 years younger than me. Not sure I can still do that this year or next year though.

My wife is 9 years younger than me. I promised her that I will out live her. That's why I'm still training hard. If my wife can live to 90, I have to live to 100. It's not easy for me to keep that promise

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i don't follow American sport, they may come as a surprise to you Americans, but all the examples posted were English apart from Angelo Dundee, who was remarkably famous because of c clay you can spend the rest of the day posting up Americans,i don't know my Chicago bears from my Boston red socks

Kyle noke is Australian.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i don't know what your trying to prove with this, i said coaches that didn't play them selves are rare, nothing you or anyone else has posted, has shown it to be untrue. This is mma, its not even a real sport, just organised pub fights

This is what you said.

if they had been successful as international coaches i would have heard of them, coaching one good athletes is as much about luck as ability,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is what you said.

if they had been successful as international coaches i would have heard of them, coaching one good athletes is as much about luck as ability,
i was talking about specific people in that articles, who were English. and i hadn't heard off, not any obscure American basketball, football or elephant polo coach in the whole world
there are quote possibly

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i consider the UFC to be human dog fighting, i watched it once and the casual brutality turned my stomach,

Well you will be pleased to know That Australia's Robert Whittaker is going to casually brutalize Michael Bisping next year some time.

So you still wont need to show any intrest in the sport.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well you will be pleased to know That Australia's Robert Whittaker is going to casually brutalize Michael Bisping next year some time.

So you still wont need to show any intrest in the sport.
its really not a "sport"in the true meaning of that concept. its just gross violence to satisfy a blood lust in people who like that sort of thing.

to be honest id sooner watch golf and that the dullest sport on earth

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys.

A friend on Facebook sent this to me asking for my opinion, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of it. From one stand point the guy doing the demonstrations clearly has a lot of speed and has trained his techniques well, but it's hard to tell if he could do the same thing under resistance.

Anybody can do anything and pull it off against a mannequin. These sorts of demo videos don't tell you anything.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
i consider the UFC to be human dog fighting, i watched it once and the casual brutality turned my stomach,
This attitude in general confounds me, especially from someone that studies martial arts.

Is not the underlying premise of just about every martial art to train yourself to be a better fighter? I know some styles have become disconnected from that idea, but even they generally started that way. So why would witnessing the endgame of these skills being put to use in actual competition be problematic?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
its really not a "sport"in the true meaning of that concept. its just gross violence to satisfy a blood lust in people who like that sort of thing.

to be honest id sooner watch golf and that the dullest sport on earth

I thought sport in the true meaning of the concept is just gross violence to satisfy blood list in people.

People were beating each other up well before they were hitting things with a stick.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

A friend on Facebook sent this to me asking for my opinion, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of it. From one stand point the guy doing the demonstrations clearly has a lot of speed and has trained his techniques well, but it's hard to tell if he could do the same thing under resistance.

Thats good stuff, but I guess those that really use it legitimately are those in the arm forces navy seals etc and train like that, hard fast and accurate!

You wouldn't want to do that in public now would you, but its a good martial art to get involved in if you love this style of fight art.

These aggressive arts are great for a self defense purpose and simply allot of fun in training circumstances, but it does depend on the person how you think and what you really want to learn.

These arts are for real and realistic and have a long linage to ancient times link - Filipino martial arts - Wikipedia

Visit this site and checkout their training on youtube:- ABOUT THE PTTA

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm 8 years older than you. I just came home and finished my 3 miles running and stretching in the park. Last month I had a 1 on 1 private 3 hours lesson with a new student. Since there wasn't another person around, I had to be his throwing dummy. After that 3 hours, I did feel tired big time. My new student did say he was quite surprised how fast I could still get back up after he had thrown me down to the ground. I told him that my teacher used to call be a "human bouncing ball".

Last year I still wrestled with 2 wrestlers in the park who were 45 years younger than me. Not sure I can still do that this year or next year though.

My wife is 9 years younger than me. I promised her that I will out live her. That's why I'm still training hard. If my wife can live to 90, I have to live to 100. It's not easy for me to keep that promise

Your words are an inspiration, John. My Dad is tough like that. He still loves snow skiing at age 92. His dad was the same. Hard as nails till a stoke laid him low at 94. He fought his way back and lived to 97. His wife, my grandmother, lived to be 102. But we are each different, and have different genes. Willpower alone isn't enough!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This attitude in general confounds me, especially from someone that studies martial arts.

Is not the underlying premise of just about every martial art to train yourself to be a better fighter? I know some styles have become disconnected from that idea, but even they generally started that way. So why would witnessing the endgame of these skills being put to use in actual competition be problematic?
there are multiple phylosopicaly objections to it.
not sure where to start, ,,, i don't like to hurt anybody or anything, i just don't get pleasure from inflicting harm or death, i go to sometimes ridicules lengths not to harm insects or slugs. I find people who hunt animals for pleasure abhorrent. That's not to say that I don't recognise that animals have to be killed, for food,to protect humans etc. But that's a necessity of survival, not a pass time for pleasure.

i have then the same ethos with ma, there are times when i have had to hurt people who are a threat to my well being, physically or mentally, that's not something i derive pleasure from, . I don't therefore get vicarious pleasure from watching other people hurt others.

i can appreciate the skill that's used, but watching two blokes smash each other to a pulp is not an entertainment i enjoy.

boxing is bad enough, but there are limited to the violence that hopefully stops short of it just being a blood bath. Those controls are a lot laxer in mma and the,amount of damaged caused much greater. The one i did watch had fight after fight that should have been stopped, ether because it was an obvious mismatch or because of the damage done, but they let it continue, as the baying crowds wanted to,see more blood and harm inflicted , u till one was beaten unconscious

young men some times want to fight, just as,dogs do, that is their concern, making it into an multi million pound entrainment industry, has no place in a civilized society

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To teach is one thing. To train is another. If you don't include certain counters as part of your student's daily training, even they know it. They still can't use it.

For example, if you don't teach your students how to counter an "circle dragging", it may take them a long time to figure it out. Even that, they still won't be able to react correctly within that 1/4 second time frame.
There's no way to train everything I teach - too much to cover. They get to choose about 20% of where they spend their training time. If they want to focus on those counters, they can.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that you assume the Aussie is posting a bunch of American stuff.

Latest Discussions