Another Self defence system

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its about as likely as having a postman called mr letterbox
Interestingly, there was a study done some years ago, and that sort of thing happens a bit more often than is predicted by random chance - people going into professions that match their names. I've often wondered what the psychological process is that leads to it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guys i go to seminars with just fight everyone in the room.
The problem with that is that the best view of a teacher is not his fighting ability, nor that of his best guys. It's the ability of either the relative beginners (if you want to get something reasonably quick) or the guys in the middle (if you want to see what most people in the program are probably capable of. So, even if someone does that (and I never have, because I don't know who can take the falls/protect themselves), what you know is how well they can handle themselves - not whether they can teach the same to you. It comes back to the basic problem of demonstrations: the people best equipped to make a judgement aren't the ones evaluating you via demonstration.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All demo are 1/2 fake and 1/2 real.

- The 1/2 fake part is your opponent gives you that opportunity.
- The 1/2 real part is you have to finish it.

If your opponent also helps you to finish, that will be 100% fake. On the other hand, if your opponent never gives you that opportunity (such as running away from you), even if you are the best MA master on earth, you still can't demonstrate your skill.

I see where you are coming from, but at the same time we have already discussed techniques that if resisted can cause a lot of damage so of course you are going to help your opponent finish you in a training scenario or you risk getting unecessarily injured.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeas something may work against a chump that may not work against a trained fighter. But I still think you should base your training on what is real.

For example. Fitness works everywhere. If you are fit you will perform better in the gym. If you are not fit you may have to make up a story about how street fights don't last very long.
but what's real, a ring fight against a good oppoinent might be real for you, but its an invitation to a broken nose for a lot of people.

we have a lad at our class, he certainly isn't athletic or co ordinated, but I've watch him develop from easy meat to being able to punch a mugger in the throat with plenty of force. He is a far harder proposition now, but he would still get his nose broken against any sort of ring fighter

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but what's real, a ring fight against a good oppoinent might be real for you, but its an invitation to a broken nose for a lot of people.

we have a lad at our class, he certainly isn't athletic or co ordinated, but I've watch him develop from easy meat to being able to punch a mugger in the throat with plenty of force. He is a far harder proposition now, but he would still get his nose broken against any sort of ring fighter

Depends what they want to get out of the training. We have taken some pretty uncoordinated guys and got them ring ready.

Nobody from our gym goes in unathletic.(mostly. We have one guy who just rocks up sometimes a week before a fight does a bit of sparring and jumps in.) That you can control with exercise.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from, but at the same time we have already discussed techniques that if resisted can cause a lot of damage so of course you are going to help your opponent finish you in a training scenario or you risk getting unecessarily injured.

Too deadly to spar rears its head again.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I guess it comes down to what are the chances of you having to defend yourself against someone with formal fight training? For example, one of the first things i was taught in kickboxing is never fight with completely straight legs, because if you get kicked in the knee when your leg is completely straight it can cause a lot of damage. Now how many untrained people know something like that?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The guys i go to seminars with just fight everyone in the room.
Old saying said, "If you want to teach someone, you don't fight him. If you want to fight someone, you don't teach him." Why should you teach someone how to beat you up? You can't be that stupid.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem with that is that the best view of a teacher is not his fighting ability, nor that of his best guys. It's the ability of either the relative beginners (if you want to get something reasonably quick) or the guys in the middle (if you want to see what most people in the program are probably capable of. So, even if someone does that (and I never have, because I don't know who can take the falls/protect themselves), what you know is how well they can handle themselves - not whether they can teach the same to you. It comes back to the basic problem of demonstrations: the people best equipped to make a judgement aren't the ones evaluating you via demonstration.

You know the technique works somewhere. We have a much bigger culture of people claiming ******** unless it is tested.

And the guy we seminar with, Rob, Is kind of a mental case for that. He will go through a whole room of MMA guys trying to bash him just foot sweeping everybody.

This is derek and rob. Two people who do really good seminars. And they will allways mix it up.

That way you dont get the issue of it just works in theory.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it comes down to what are the chances of you having to defend yourself against someone with formal fight training? For example, one of the first things i was taught in kickboxing is never fight with completely straight legs, because if you get kicked in the knee when your leg is completely straight it can cause a lot of damage. Now how many untrained people know something like that?
i suppose it largely depend on circumstances, if you are a big mouth and go round shouting the odds and upsetting people, then its an odds on certain they eventually you will do it to the wrong person. If you mind your own, the odds against being randomly attacked in the street by a trained fighter must very high very highindeed,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends what they want to get out of the training. We have taken some pretty uncoordinated guys and got them ring ready.

Nobody from our gym goes in unathletic.(mostly. We have one guy who just rocks up sometimes a week before a fight does a bit of sparring and jumps in.) That you can control with exercise.
i suspect he want to improve his fitness and co ordination and have a good chance of defending himself, he seems to be achieving those.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i suppose it largely depend on circumstances, if you are a big mouth and go round shouting the odds and upsetting people, then its an odds on certain they eventually you will do it to the wrong person. If you mind your own, the odds against being randomly attacked in the street by a trained fighter must very high very highindeed,

Yep. My manager at work told us a story of 2 guys who went out into town in fancy dress and got accosted by a small group of thugs, looking for a fight. Little did the punks know that the 2 guys were pro mma fighters who proceeded to beat the crap out of the group.

Dunno how true that story is but i cant help but laugh at a group of punks getting beaten up by 2 guys in too-toos

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i suspect he want to improve his fitness and co ordination and have a good chance of defending himself, he seems to be achieving those.

Then that isnt a problem.

Fighting is exactly like fitness. I like to keep active but I like pizza. So my progress reflects that. If I gave up pizza my progress would reflect that.

We don't set a competence level on a guy when he walks into the gym. We take him as far as he can go.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And the guy we seminar with, Rob, Is kind of a mental case for that. He will go through a whole room of MMA guys trying to bash him just foot sweeping everybody.
That's still different from for him To fight against everybody. It's very common for an instructor to use the throwing technique that he intended to teach in that workshop to throw everybody in that class.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. My manager at work told us a story of 2 guys who went out into town in fancy dress and got accosted by a small group of thugs, looking for a fight. Little did the punks know that the 2 guys were pro mma fighters who proceeded to beat the crap out of the group.

Dunno how true that story is but i cant help but laugh at a group of punks getting beaten up by 2 guys in too-toos

it happened. There is video.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's still different from for him To fight against everybody. It's very common for an instructor to use the throwing technique that he intended to teach in that workshop to throw everybody in that class.

Its not that common. Sometimes the instructor is just too deadly.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then that isnt a problem.

Fighting is exactly like fitness. I like to keep active but I like pizza. So my progress reflects that. If I gave up pizza my progress would reflect that.

We don't set a competence level on a guy when he walks into the gym. We take him as far as he can go.
pizza IS a health food, especially if it pineapple on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are two Welsh fighters, Daniel Lerwell and James Lilley out on a stag night in Swansea. They weren't 'drag queens'

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are two Welsh fighters, Daniel Lerwell and James Lilley out on a stag night in Swansea. They weren't 'drag queens'
yet they were dressed in drag , so, at least for that evening they were,drag queens

Latest Discussions