American Karate

I

IMAA

In the dojo, which I attend it is called "American TaeKwonDo".
However, it has a more Japanese influence to it rather than Korean. When I say influence I mean we count in Japanese, all our techniques are refered to by Japanese names. Our forms from what I understand however are that of Korean influence. Which is where the term TKD comes into play. We do the Pin'an kata's, and Nihunchisho( which if Im not mistaken is Shotokan) and we also do Bassaisho kata.

Now much to my confusion, we are also called by some, American Karate, and a Korean Karate dojo.

Are their anyone else that has this same type of school.

If I was to copy a few things down that I have found in my research I have found this:
After Japan's occupation of Korea, Japanese colonial rule tightened its grip on the Korean economy and the people. Its purpose was to suppress the Korean populace and to erase the Korean identity. Japanese businesses were given preferential treatment and they took advantage of Korea's natural resources.

At least nine Korean masters trained in Japan: Yong-Shul Choi, Geka Yung, Hyung-Ju Cho, Won-Kuk Lee, Pyong-Chik Ro, Hong-Hi Choi, Yong-i Choi, Ki-Whang Kim, and Pyung-In Yun. Yong-Shul Choi claims to have trained for many years in Daito-ryu Aikijutsu under Sokaku Takeda, although his claims are not recognized by the followers of Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido. Choi later returned to Korea and taught Yusul (jJujutsu), which one of his students, Ji-Han Jae, later called Hapkido ("coordinated energy way"). The other eight Koreans trained in Karate-do. Geka Yung was the head instructor of the Kanbukan ("Korean martial arts hall") in Japan, which was later renamed the Renbukan ("training martial arts hall") under Norio Nakamura. Hyung-Ju Cho moved to Japan, changed his name to Neichu So, and trained in Goju-ryu Karate-do under Chojun Miyagi in high school, becoming a Karate-do instructor in 1939. According to Hancock, Won-Kuk Lee learned Shotokan karate-do while attending school in Japan.

>>Upon tracing our lineage back it goes back to a guy named "LEE" I dont know if its this WON KUK LEE or not though..

After the war, most martial arts schools in Korea were using the name Karate and were using Japanese terminology to describe techniques. They used Japanese patterns and training methods. There were no techniques or terminology that resembled Taekkyon. This was a problem until after the Korean War when nationalistic and political motivations led to an effort to portray the martial arts that had developed in Korean as having ancient Korean origins.

> anyway this is just some food for thought... I didnt know if anyone else knows much about this history or not..and could help me understand......thanks

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
From the information you've given here, and in the Korean arts forum, I'd say it's a safe bet that your style comes from Won Kuk Lee and his Chung Do Kwan. If you ever have to move and you need a new school to train at, you'd get along just fine with either the World TKD Association or the Chung Do Kwan Alliance.

OP
I

IMAA

Thanks, for the help. Im working in the right direction. I had along talk tonite w/ one of the Kyoshi's in our system he shed some light on the situation.

Has anyone ever heard of or have any information on a Master Cain IK LEE or IK LEE? He is supposedly the heir to our Karate system from Master Dave Foreman...

Thanks

taichidragon1

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or have any information on a Master Cain IK LEE or IK LEE? He is supposedly the heir to our Karate system from Master Dave Foreman...

Thanks[/quote]

Master Kang Ik Lee was Dave Forman's teacher in Korea.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never heard of him and when I tries to google nothing came up. Sorry

Lbkickn

White Belt
Reaction score
I've seen TKD dojangs (schools) like that before
the ones with Japanese language used instead of Korean.

They were called American karate schools or American TKD that kind of thing just like you said. There was even a chain of them around this area for a while (I live in Roch MN) the business name was "American States Karate".

They called the teacher 'sensei' instead of 'sabumnim', for example.

I've seen lots of schools like that, they're pretty common. To some extent they can be American eclectric systems of Karate/TKD and sometimes have some Judo thrown into them as well.

Lbkickn

White Belt
Reaction score
Eh.
Airgh ye pyrate, suicide!
Methinks it too soon t'tarry and too late t'quarrel.

Out thairs a'fortune... waitin t'be had

if y'think I'd let it go, y'must be mad...

y'got anudder thing comin. %-} %-} %-}

Harr harr !!

Latest Discussions