New to Japanese arts

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings, everyone. I noticed that there hadn't been a new post to this board for a few days and thought that I'd take the opportunity to say hello to all here. I've posted to several other boards on MT but never here (I don't think). I've studied kenpo for 2 years but have now changed to Nihon Goshin Aikido. As this is my first exposure to a japanese art I thought I'd best get in here. If there are any other students of NGA I'd love to hear from you. I am enjoying the art thus far and expect that I will spend a lifetime trying to become proficient in this art. I look forward to talking to all of you.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I took these quotes from the homepage of Nihon Goshin Aikido -

Mr. Bowe was stationed on the island of Hokkaido during his military career.

Mr. Bowe trained with both Shodo Morita, who awarded him a black belt, and with Shodo Morita's adopted son, Tominosuke Nara, who took over the system after Master Morita.

Mr. Bowe returned to the United States and began teaching Nihon Goshin Aikido in 1962 at a local karate school. On September 12, 1963, he opened his own dojo in Gutenberg, New Jersey. In 1976 Mr. Bowe was promoted to 5th degree black belt by Master Nara. Shortly after that Master Nara retired from public teaching. As far as we know, Nihon Goshin Aikido is no longer taught in Japan.

It seems that Mr. Bowe's ranking and experience in training really isn't documented from shodan to godan on his website... I won't go off in left field about the potential nastiness that can come from such a thing. I think we can all guess what suppositions could be made from it...

Mr. Bowe spent 13 years training on his own. He had no further "Japanese" influence beyond his most likely rather short time while stationed in Japan.

This makes me wonder if "Nihon" Goshin Aikido is really "Japanese," or if it should more appropriately be referred to in another context... My nihongo is getting rustier by the day, but I think that if the name is supposed to translate as "Japanese Self-defense Aikido," then it should be "Nihon no Goshin Aikido," but if the Americanization of Mr. Bowe's training is an accurate assumption, then perhaps it could be referred to as simply Goshin Aikido, or even "Amerika no Goshin Aikido," or something to that effect...

Either way, an interesting offshoot of "regular" Aikido.

Good luck in your training!

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm brand new to this particular art and haven't yet gotten into the finer points of the history of it or Mr. Bowe. Very valid points that you've made, though. My japanese is less than none so I can't argue even one of your points with you. I had noticed that the techniques do not have japanese names to them. Either way, I am enjoying the training and can see that it has a good deal of merit to it. What's the phrase I keep seeing on MT? Any martial arts is better than no martial arts at all. My understanding though is that NGA is not an offshoot of "regular" aikido, rather a stand alone version. If it's a "fraud warning" that you were heading for I haven't seen any of the indicators that I've always looked for..... no contracts, no super secret techniques, the sensei is very humble and informative and no claims of grand master status by a 25 year old instructor. I say "japanese" simply because that is where the style, to the best of my knowledge, got it's start, as opposed to the kenpo that I had been studying. I believe that "Old Sempai" on this board would be a much better source of debate on this than I as he is much more versed in NGA than I expect to be for a long long time.

C

chufeng

Congratulations on finding a school that you like.

Aikido is a wonderful art and, yes, it will take several years to gain proficiency...but well worth the effort and the patience.

A couple of warnings...1) Don't get so into cooperating (flowing with the technique) when you are uke that you cheat your partner by throwing off-balanced and unrealistic attacks.
2) Don't fool yourself into thinking that when you need to use this stuff on the street, that your enemies will be flying all over the place...more than likely you'll destroy the opponents joint before you ever throw them.

Otherwise, enjoy your training...

chufeng

J

Jill666

Letch, I think we may have some interesting talks in the future. I've been a student of Kenpo for a few years, now I have added Taijutsu. Radically different art- a whole new way of moving.

How do you find your adjustment to Aikido? What strikes you right away in the similarities/differences of those arts?

By the way, I'm glad your elbow is improved. You mentioned MC attitude- my training partner is another ex-marine (if there is such a thing ;) ). I watch him aggravate a hamstring pull for eight months before he rested it and let it heal. :shrug:

Peace-out

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to send a warning or anything of the sort...

I find it strange that the art has a base in Daito-ryu and calls itself Aikido, though it seems that Aikido was never actually a part of its genesis, but whatever...

I was only commenting on the name, nothing more.

Gambarimasu.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it strange that the art has a base in Daito-ryu and calls itself Aikido, though it seems that Aikido was never actually a part of its genesis, but whatever

I had noticed the same thing..... there were several styles listed as being incorporated into NGA and none of them were aikido. I found that odd myself but chalked it up to those older and wiser than myself making the call. No offense taken, although from reading my reply it sounded as though that may have been the case. I'm still an infant as far as MA goes and usually just gather as much info as I can, sort through it, extract anything useful and discard the rest. That seems to have worked well for me thus far. In the past months I have come to respect your input and opinion and will continue to do so.:asian:

By the way, I'm glad your elbow is improved. You mentioned MC attitude- my training partner is another ex-marine (if there is such a thing ). I watch him aggravate a hamstring pull for eight months before he rested it and let it heal.
No, Jill there is no such thing as an EX-Marine.... just former ones. :D "Once a marine, always a marine."

How do you find your adjustment to Aikido? What strikes you right away in the similarities/differences of those arts
As I get more aquainted with NGA and O'Sensei's aikido I come to realize that there is a good deal of difference between the two styles of aikido. NGA is not as different from kenpo as standard aikido so my transition is not as tough as it could be. The major difference that I have noted is the lack of devastating strikes from the outset of a technique and a (welcome) lack of groin strikes:rofl: The blending is a bit different and the idea of flowing with an attack instead of the "every block should be a strike" mentality is interesting.

1) Don't get so into cooperating (flowing with the technique) when you are uke that you cheat your partner by throwing off-balanced and unrealistic attacks.
1) I feel that as uke it is my responsibility to work with my partner certainly, but I still attack as a kenpo practitioner so my attacks tend to be a bit more realistic than if I were throwing them for a flow. I've had a couple of comments from classmates thus far about that and all of them have been positive comments.

2) Don't fool yourself into thinking that when you need to use this stuff on the street, that your enemies will be flying all over the place...more than likely you'll destroy the opponents joint before you ever throw them
I have no dilusions about flipping opponents around, and am too well acquainted with joint damage not to know that anyone who resists a technique is likely to damage themselves. That is what makes me nervous about being uke for a tech that I am unfamiliar with. If I don't flow correctly I open myself up to damage at any point in the tech.

Sorry about the length of the post but I wanted to make sure and reply to each of you as you have all had the patience and interest to not only visit this particular forum but to reply to this particular thread.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I too used to study American Kenpo, and loved it for 6 years. I now study Ryukyu Kempo, and it is amazing what a little Okinawan/ Japanese way of doing things can add to your Kenpo when you need it.

--Dave

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
However, before commenting I find it interesting that the American who established Nihon Goshin Aikido in the United States always remains above the fray. Is it the result of following Japanese Tradition, or perhaps because of his profession as an Attorney? Never-the-less it should be noted that he held Dan grades in Jujitsu in the late 1950's long before it became a household word, and was a member of an elite Army unit while stationed in Japan.

As for the tenuous link of Nihon Goshin Aikido to that of Daito Ryu, or that Morita Shodo had trained under Kotaro [of the Yanagi Ryu traditions] I must confess that years ago I created a geneaology and mixed up Yoshida Kotaro with another Japanese student of Takeda who was also named Kotaro and later changed his name to Kido]. But to continue, in an effort to protect my information since I had contemplated publishing a history of the art, along with an Instructor's guide [as a result of having been a teacher for many years] I deliberately left misleading information in my notes knowing full well that they would be plagerized, and they were.

As to legitimacy of this art, it is quite legitimate, but constantly viewed as the b--stard step child, and constantly discredited by others that believe that unless the head master is Oriental the art, or style has no credibility, nor is it valid..........

Oh well........ to each his own..............

PS gave up on the idea of publishing the book, despite over 20 years of research......... for a variety of reasons......... however, this is not to say that I will not share my notes.... but I intend to be extremely selective in that regard............

:asian: :asian:

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Sempai, Have you ever considered publishing it in pdf format and having it available on-line? I for one would love to have another source available for NGA. I've done a lot of searching and am coming up woefuly short on info. My appetite for knowledge is insatiable and the cupboard is bare so to speak.