AMA: K-Tigers

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kicking in the groin and gouging the eyes are legitimate martial arts techniques, no? Not for sport martial arts like MAA of course, but for actual combat arts.

I meant the "what about the street" line. I quoted the wrong post. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's more "martial" then "art". No one says, "look how beautifully I can kick the cajones!" :)

Maybe you could ask Jhoon Goo Rhee. He seems to have some time ago focused on art. But I have always wondered where the term martial art came from.

I hadn't seen this thread before, nor had I seen them advertised in the area before. But it looks like a form of K-pop. I'll have to ask my wife.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suspect "art" is used in the context of "no single way". I am kidding above when I talked about the art of kicking someone in the groin. Sun Tzu wrote "The Art of War", which is more clearly not referencing beauty in any way.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect "art" is used in the context of "no single way". I am kidding above when I talked about the art of kicking someone in the groin. Sun Tzu wrote "The Art of War", which is more clearly not referencing beauty in any way.

Been a long time since I read The Art of War, or even excerpts from it.

As I understand, art was highly esteemed, and people liked to find ties between art of all kinds things in everyday life to enhance the prestige of both.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Truejim: who pays to support the K-Tigers training? Also are they paid and if not, why do they do it for free?

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Truejim: who pays to support the K-Tigers training? Also are they paid and if not, why do they do it for free?

You know, that's a great question. I've wondered the same myself, and I've never gotten a clear answer. I'll try asking again.

I know that here in the US, Team M requires the members to pay a fee to join the team. (A friend of mine was asked to join Team M, but he didn't want to pay to join.) It wouldn't surprise me if the parents of the Little Tigers were paying for their kids to be on the team?

What really has me curious is: how does an adult financially afford to practice for 8-10 hours a day? Clearly you can't have a full-time job and be a K-Tiger. I know some kids join the team as a stepping-stone to bigger gigs in the entertainment industry -- apparently in Korea there's a good track record of K-Tigers going into music or film.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find out.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, I just finished editing this video last night, for those who are interested. It showcases the Little Tigers especially.

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

That's a good read. I'd take it even further and say that institutionally the Korean effort to export K-Pop is deliberate. Last century their culture was almost wiped-out, it could easily be wiped-out again in this century, so exporting as much of their culture as they can is a sensible failsafe.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a good read. I'd take it even further and say that institutionally the Korean effort to export K-Pop is deliberate. Last century their culture was almost wiped-out, it could easily be wiped-out again in this century, so exporting as much of their culture as they can is a sensible failsafe.

Pays well sometimes too.

gang nam - Bing

Different K-Pop groups can be seen on Korean TV fairly often.

Latest Discussions