K-Girls

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, there's a new Naver TV series by the K-Tigers:

K-Girls

9 female celebrities form a Taekwondo team in order to compete in the World Taekwondo Hanmadang.

There are English subtitles on the K-Tigers YouTube channel:

Since K-Tigers seems to be more about dancing nowadays, this is the next logical step. ^^

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason whenever I see the title k girls I think of a sleazy nightclub

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FYI, for their upcoming (brief) tour in the US during the first week of August, the K-Tigers are bringing 60+ members...the male team, the female team, and "Little Tigers" kids team.

So in a couple weeks the K-Girls will be here in the US, outside DC and outside NYC. I know tickets.com has the date for the DC show; I don't know about NYC.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TrueJim,
I'm going to a demo in Toronto on August 11th. Is it the same tour?
Kukkiwon Taekwondo Demonstration in Toronto

I don't believe so. That's the Kukkiwon Demo Team I assume? I think the K-Tigers are flying into DC, popping up to NYC, and then flying back -- just two shows that I know of in the U.S.? But there may be more than I haven't heard of.

Then while they're here in the DC area they're also giving a poomsae seminar and a demo-team seminar. I have details on those if anybody is interested. (Around here in the DC area they've been asking for host families -- I said I'd take two members of the team in my guest room. They were like, "Do you want male members or female members?")

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For some reason whenever I see the title k girls I think of a sleazy nightclub
Makes me think of K-pop and just how much I'm not going to like it. lol. I guess for me it comes with being 44. Boy bands and Girl bands in the us do about the same. Irritate me. lol

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Makes me think of K-pop and just how much I'm not going to like it. lol. I guess for me it comes with being 44. Boy bands and Girl bands in the us do about the same. Irritate me. lol

Having seen a few "taekwondo shows" before myself...

If you're gonna sell a sufficient number of tickets for a live performance, you gotta make it (a) long-enough to warrant the audience paying for, and (b) something that even laymen will enjoy. I think the upshot of that is: you're going to have to mix taekwondo with something. In a martial arts movie, they mix the martial arts with plot and story. So I guess in principle they could make a live "taekwondo show" be like a play, mixing the taekwondo with plot and story. Instead they mostly seem to mix it with music and dance -- so just think of the music and dance as the filler, to flesh the performance out enough to warrant selling tickets.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having seen a few "taekwondo shows" before myself...

If you're gonna sell a sufficient number of tickets for a live performance, you gotta make it (a) long-enough to warrant the audience paying for, and (b) something that even laymen will enjoy. I think the upshot of that is: you're going to have to mix taekwondo with something. In a martial arts movie, they mix the martial arts with plot and story. So I guess in principle they could make a live "taekwondo show" be like a play, mixing the taekwondo with plot and story. Instead they mostly seem to mix it with music and dance -- so just think of the music and dance as the filler, to flesh the performance out enough to warrant selling tickets.

Im just in a different market. Things that they do aren't for people like me. Out of all of the martial arts out there TKD does an excellent job with marketing.

There are so many TKD schools where I live that it's amazing that they still find enough students to stay open. I guess many young people find it cool. Compared to what young people think of some of the other martial arts. Add K-girls and boys trying to be cool and impress sounds just about right for a never ending marketing campaign because there will always be someone who is young and ready to do cool TKD tricking to impress hot girls. lol