Focus of Taekwondo

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I wanted to start a thread to get some different insights on the various focuses of YOUR training.

I believe modern Taekwondo as I was taught and trained is unique in it's distance control, footwork, and timing.
These have always been apparent strengths to me of tkd and I aim to take these skills to the highest level.
Taekwondo training has given me the ability to enter a fight or match with high level skills in those three areas.

I have yet to explore what else tkd may have to offer for those who prefer a more "rooted" approach or any approach you come up with.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have explored tkd in these other areas! I'm thinking along a combative vein, but it could be anything be it mobility, stability, health, fun!, discipline!
What are the strengths you have found in Taekwondo?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, it's the only workout I know of that doesn't bore me during the workout. :) I sweat more and struggle for breath harder in a taekwondo class than in anything else I've tried, and the classes go by very quickly. So for me: fun & fitness.

Have you read Capener's "Problems in the Identity and Philosophy of T'aegwondo and Their Historical Causes". It's required reading for USAT coaches. It has some interesting things to say about things like the relationship between narrowness of stances and the emphasis on kicking combinations in taekwondo. You can grab a copy here: Associate Coach Quiz under the heading "History of Taekwondo".

OP
paitingman

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For me, it's the only workout I know of that doesn't bore me during the workout. :) I sweat more and struggle for breath harder in a taekwondo class than in anything else I've tried, and the classes go by very quickly. So for me: fun & fitness.

Have you read Capener's "Problems in the Identity and Philosophy of T'aegwondo and Their Historical Causes". It's required reading for USAT coaches. It has some interesting things to say about things like the relationship between narrowness of stances and the emphasis on kicking combinations in taekwondo. You can grab a copy here: Associate Coach Quiz under the heading "History of Taekwondo".
Awesome essay! Though I disagree with the basic premise that tkd is at odds with itself. The philosophical fusion of eastern martial art and western sport are what makes taekwondo so unique.

It reminds of a post I made here a few years back.

I should add that all my experience comes from "WTF" or olympic style taekwondo.
I have found that the particular ruleset, training, and sparring style forced me to develop distance management skills, and a pair of eyes that translated very well into MMA and that type of striking.

Since most blows are to the body, you must react with your feet and move your whole body to obtain a better angle in order to stay in the game. This combined with the fast paced nature of tkd, gave me the footwork to deal with attacks, and the eyes that can see them coming a mile away.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I consider taekwondo the premier fitness martial art. It truly builds cardio fitness and strengthens legs like you wouldn't believe.

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, it started as something fun to do and quickly turned into the only exercise I've ever enjoyed in my life. From there it's evolved into much, much more. It is now my priority in life. I eat, sleep, and breathe TKD. I literally cannot imagine my life without it anymore. Even on days I kind of want to be lazy, I find energy I didn't know I had as soon as I step onto the mat. Whatever is going on in my life, no matter how bad a day I had at my "real" job, when I walk into the dojang, nothing matters...only TKD. I was never a social person. Now I have people who are friends I consider family because we are that close.

For me, TKD is: the way I am ending too many years of being fat, lazy, and unhealthy; the key to helping me focus, develop confidence, and get rid of lifelong shyness; my future.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I wanted to start a thread to get some different insights on the various focuses of YOUR training.

I believe modern Taekwondo as I was taught and trained is unique in it's distance control, footwork, and timing.
These have always been apparent strengths to me of tkd and I aim to take these skills to the highest level.
Taekwondo training has given me the ability to enter a fight or match with high level skills in those three areas.
As with any traditional martial art, I feel that the primary focus is on self-improvement and developing confidence, all on top of a foundation of self-defense.

Latest Discussions