Am I too old to do martial arts?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. At one point last year, @gpseymour and I were in PT during the same period of time. He was in for a body part - I can't remember which one, a shoulder or a knee, or an ankle. The point was - he didn't even have to change into workout clothes to do his PT. Since mine was a full spine and hip PT, I had to carry my workout duds with me, and I would come home sweating. So, he used to tease me, "I don't understand what your problem is. I just had to do some elbow lifts (or something like that.)" Of course, on the days when he would whine about how hard his PT was and how mean his therapist was, I would just give him the look.
Hey, elbow lifts are hard!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, elbow lifts are hard!
tumblr_n80bakoGgp1tw5bhko1_400.gif

Billy02

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I turned 30 today. Is it time to hang up my hat?
You are never too old for anything, unless you loose by heart, and my friend i have a friend who goes to gym, he is 49 and a cancer surviving patient, he has this awesome body, gaining muscles and all, he is keeping his self happy and says age does not matter, its all by heart, so my friend you can start anything at any age its just that you should make your heart and mind agree to it. and you are good to go. best of luck!!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts are all about adapting. Either to an opponent, or, to your own body. When I started training 51 yrs ago my reasons then were way different then today at 75.
A love of the arts along with the "learning never ends", has taught me that I need it more today then when I was a young man.
Bottom line is you're never too old to gain benefits.

rews

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Russian Kadochnikov System. You can study at any age and any state of health. A man who shows him 56 years.

rews

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
His student is 60 years old (there is a video with a gun)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Made when Harley was own by amc, late 70s early 80, not a bad little bike at all, really, single cylinder 2stroke with a Teflon coated bore

In 1969 Harley merged with the American Machine & Foundry Company (AMF). In '80 or '81 the senior exec's bought Harley back from AMF. That is where the saying "The Eagle Soars Alone" came from. FYI.

Latest Discussions