Am I too old to do martial arts?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I turned 30 today. Is it time to hang up my hat?

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seriously? I am 52 and just came back after 35 years out of the game.

So, no, 30 isn't too old to practice martial arts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I turned 30 today. Is it time to hang up my hat?
yes definitely, your body will now decay at a frighting rate, your belly will grow and your hair will decline, sit in a chair till your 60 and wait for your heart attack, that's if the diabetes doesn't get you first.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes definitely, your body will now decay at a frighting rate, your belly will grow and your hair will decline, sit in a chair till your 60 and wait for your heart attack, that's if the diabetes doesn't get you first.

Most of that is already happening. I've already started getting sunburn on my scalp due to my thinning hair

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep also don't bother booking any holidays as you'll die of old age soon

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of that is already happening. I've already started getting sunburn on my scalp due to my thinning hair
You want a serious reply, rather than just reassurance,

Your at the age where some aspects of performance will rapidly dwindle, more noticeable the Nearer to peak performance you are, other things will carry on much the same for another decade,

ItsLiterally managed decline, the decline is coming , it's just how much and how soon, if your not particularly fit now, you can be fitter at 35 and fitter again at 40, if you are close to your max, then all you can do is slow it down. If you stop, then that decline will happen to a greater extent And fat sooner

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I did that! I learned my lesson.

It seems obvious, but not to everyone. A few years ago, I got a friend to get his bicycle out and start riding again. Dude has thinning hair, almost, but not quite bald. I told him when he started he needed to have a plan to protect his head from getting sunburned. But he balked, saying, shouldn't my helmet cover my head? Well, yes, but today's helmets have vents, so your bald head will get sunburned in the pattern of your helmet's vents. And that is what happened to him. So he asks me after his head gets sunburned what to do. Sigh. I just order him an Under Armour summer skull cap and give it to him. In addition to sun protection, it helps keep sweat away from the eyes.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems obvious, but not to everyone. A few years ago, I got a friend to get his bicycle out and start riding again. Dude has thinning hair, almost, but not quite bald. I told him when he started he needed to have a plan to protect his head from getting sunburned. But he balked, saying, shouldn't my helmet cover my head? Well, yes, but today's helmets have vents, so your bald head will get sunburned in the pattern of your helmet's vents. And that is what happened to him. So he asks me after his head gets sunburned what to do. Sigh. I just order him an Under Armour summer skull cap and give it to him. In addition to sun protection, it helps keep sweat away from the eyes.

You have to look hard to tell my hair is thinning. It's just...not as thick anymore on top. It's not like I've got a few strands that I do a comb-over with, and I don't have a bald spot. But it was thin enough that I got sunburned.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
make sure you start buying your banana's as one and two and not the hole bunch....you dont know if you will live though the week and it will be a waste of money.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Skribs! :)

And no blowing out the candles with sidekicks unless you wear cool shoes.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

When my hair started thinning and exposing too much skin, I decided to take the high road and say I was glad I didn't have so much hair to comb. Then I realized I had more face to wash. sigh.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Skribs! :)

And no blowing out the candles with sidekicks unless you wear cool shoes.
Yeah, only blow out candles with crescent kicks. Or backfists.

As for OP - No. Keep doing it if you enjoy it. Even if you do decline in performance, there's no reason to stop.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
Happy Birthday! Time to get a cool cane, you can use it to hit people that call you old..lol.