Alcohol and the Arts

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MACaver
I'm a recovering alcoholic of 14 years.

Much respect and best of luck on your journey!

In terms of my opinion. I think that alcohol has become quite a tool and friend in my life. It finds a place in business meetings, social institutions, very short term coping mechanism, relaxing summer days and stiff cold winter nights. Like any tool it needs to be limited to use as per need and safety. There is a reason why hangovers suck so much.

As applied to martial arts, I think the two are inseperably entwined. The sad fact is that the egos that instigate the majority of fights in modern society are catalyzed by alcohol. Beer muscles are the curse of many a lush. This means that the violence that martial arts tend to train against happens mostly in situations where alcohol is consumed or present.

That being said I've been known to get snuck up on and hit on the head with a big drunk stick every so often. :drink2tha

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by OULobo
Beer muscles

I have heard Liquid Courage and Courage in a Bottle. But that is new to me. :D

OP
L

liam

Originally posted by tarabos
nothing wrong with a couple drinks....besides, i really like heineken....

Heineken?? please...try real beer for once, that's belgian beer:D

OP
P

pknox

Interesting points all. I believe KarateKid1975 brings up an interesting issue, however. For those of us who do choose to drink, should we have some experience in how our body movements change after having a few drinks? Many of us take time to train in different types of shoes or clothing, at different levels of tiredness, and with opponents of various sizes and experience levels so as to be prepared in the event an altercation occurs that mimics the environment we have prepared for. Should we also train ourselves also after having had a few drinks, or possibly a heavy meal (I myself find it harder to move if I've overeaten, and question if I could defend myself to my fullest potential in such a state)? Realize that I am NOT advocating training while drunk. The chance of injury is way too high. I also personally believe that training in someone else's dojo while impaired is not only rude, but also a potential hazard to all involved, as well as a lawsuit waiting to happen. However, what about hitting the heavy bag leisurely at home after a few beers, or trying a few kicks or punches alone, and noting how your reactions and/or movements change? Perhaps it would prove educational. As a martial artist who trains to defend himself, I never get drunk in public, because to me it seems counterproductive. However, I do have a beer or two, and would be interested to see if my personal defense strategy would have to be modified if I were ever attacked in such a state.

OP
M

MartialArtsChic

I choose not to. Coffee's my drink of choice!

When I would, I had a habit of drinking the hard stuff like Kool Aid and I wouldn't stop and I didn't like that or how out of control of myself I was. I never did acquire the taste for beer or wine though.

MartialArtsChic

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to be quite a heavy drinker, pretty much every night of the week. Now I only drink when there is an occasion to drink, once a month maybe. I do get pretty sloshed but Im either in the privacy of my own home or at a mate's place. You cant get boozed all the time and train. Comes down to everything in moderation!!!!!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in my younger,"invincible" days.......

I used to think getting hammered and getting into a fight was a sign of a good night.....then it dawned on me....
I can't fight for crap when I am drunk!
I quit drinkin....and I quit getting the snot kicked outta me
icon10.gif

But after being on the door for so many years and being sober for all these years..I have realised I hate aclohol.period.
Actually....the number 1 reason I quit drinkin.....the day after!
ergh:erg: it sux!
alcohol.....baaaaaad for Bamm!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My husband and I make our own wine with no additives for the health benefits and flavorful enjoyment of wine.

I occasionally drink malt beverages or hard liquor, and enjoy sharing in a celebratory tequila shooter with a newly-promoted half-black or higher rank. However, I prefer to refrain from inebriation as much as possible and I don't think I've been drunk in...wow...several years.

Latest Discussions