aikido the harmony way?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The obvious answer is not to follow the herd. But it isn't really correct as there are so many people not following the herd they create their own.

The secret is not develop a mind set that lets you think outside the box.

But realising there is no box.
Ah I look to you for straight talking and you are going to get all metaphysical with me haha!! What is this you are saying: outside the box and but there is no box?? ahhhhh.. you can be certain you are not being brainwashed by this here L Ron Hubbard book you been reading cos boxes and no boxes sound like culty talk haha.. take my hand I will rescue you from these people get you to safety.. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah I look to you for straight talking and you are going to get all metaphysical with me haha!! What is this you are saying: outside the box and but there is no box?? ahhhhh.. you can be certain you are not being brainwashed by this here L Ron Hubbard book you been reading cos boxes and no boxes sound like culty talk haha.. take my hand I will rescue you from these people get you to safety.. :D

I am a dichotomy.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I urge any prospective student of aikido, or any martial art, to avoid "schools" that try to be mystic; this has nothing to do with aikido and is only sensei BS. Aikido IS a martial art and this understanding should stay with you throughout your association with it. One cannot afford to throw a true attacker "gently and with love". This is the way training in done in the dojo among classmates and friends and not on the street.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get you.. tho why it make your teeth hurt when they are only tickling each other with fantasy words like enlightenment, Ki, Spirit, Mastery and whatever? Is not like cosplayers or Comic-con where is just everybody enjoy their thing? It make your teeth hurt too?? there is a difference?? thank you x

If I ever encountered a cosplayer who thought they really were Wonder Woman or Aragorn or Doctor Who, then I would be worried for them. Fortunately I don't think that's a situation which happens very often.

"Martial artists" who think they are really learning to become enlightened spiritual masters with supernatural powers? That I have encountered both in person and online.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I ever encountered a cosplayer who thought they really were Wonder Woman or Aragorn or Doctor Who, then I would be worried for them. Fortunately I don't think that's a situation which happens very often.

"Martial artists" who think they are really learning to become enlightened spiritual masters with supernatural powers? That I have encountered both in person and online.
Yes I understand how you mean this.. though can I ask please do you also think what he was saying that ki, mastery, enlightenment, these are all fantasy words?? like I mean in MA terms

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I understand how you mean this.. though can I ask please do you also think what he was saying that ki, mastery, enlightenment, these are all fantasy words?? like I mean in MA terms
"Ki" as a culturally laden way of describing certain useful ways of breathing and applying good body dynamics based on the subjective way they feel rather than medically precise terminology = totally fine in my book.
"Ki" as a magical force granting supernatural powers which can only be achieved by studying arts which use that culturally laden terminology = fantasy.

"Mastery" is a highly subjective word which is used to describe a wide variety of skill levels. It's not necessarily a bad word to use, but the martial fantasists often apply it based on a very unrealistic perception of their instructor's or their own skill level.

"Enlightenment" is a term so vague and subjective as to be almost useless in general. It can be narrowed down to a somewhat more precise meaning in certain religious contexts and there have been some psychological studies of the kind of subjective mental experience which is commonly described as "enlightenment" in those contexts. However there is no particular evidence I've seen that martial arts training is especially likely to lead to that experience. Furthermore, martial fantasists who make a big deal out of achieving "enlightenment" typically seem to have a more pretentious idea of the concept, thinking this "enlightened" status makes someone especially wise or possessed of esoteric knowledge or qualified to be life guides for others.

That's been my experience, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Ki" as a culturally laden way of describing certain useful ways of breathing and applying good body dynamics based on the subjective way they feel rather than medically precise terminology = totally fine in my book.
"Ki" as a magical force granting supernatural powers which can only be achieved by studying arts which use that culturally laden terminology = fantasy.

"Mastery" is a highly subjective word which is used to describe a wide variety of skill levels. It's not necessarily a bad word to use, but the martial fantasists often apply it based on a very unrealistic perception of their instructor's or their own skill level.

"Enlightenment" is a term so vague and subjective as to be almost useless in general. It can be narrowed down to a somewhat more precise meaning in certain religious contexts and there have been some psychological studies of the kind of subjective mental experience which is commonly described as "enlightenment" in those contexts. However there is no particular evidence I've seen that martial arts training is especially likely to lead to that experience. Furthermore, martial fantasists who make a big deal out of achieving "enlightenment" typically seem to have a more pretentious idea of the concept, thinking this "enlightened" status makes someone especially wise or possessed of esoteric knowledge or qualified to be life guides for others.

That's been my experience, anyway. Your mileage may vary.
RIght I understand that better now.. see @drop bear make the points concise.. only is so concise I cannot get the meaning.. then Tony you elaborate with the fine detail and then it make complete sense.. see? you and Drop Bear are like JCVD Double Team haha.. or was it Double Impact.. I cannot remember now x

GreatUniter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Aikido is the way of harmony...but not too much harmony." - Yoshimitsu Yamada

Latest Discussions