Aikido and combat effectiveness

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by samurai69, Aug 17, 2006.

1. samurai69

samurai69 Blue Belt

This is part of a larger essay on aikido - i think it starts to answer some of the questions many non-aikidoka have regarding aikido

2. pstarr

pstarr Master Black Belt

Very well done! Yes, O-Sensei once said that, "90% of aikido is atemi." This is an area which many aikido school all but ignore nowadays and I believe that it makes their art so much less effective.

Additionally, it would seem that the current form of aikido (as per the hombu) is not directed at developing combat skills. I wonder if perhaps this has been done to make the art more palatable for Western tastes - to foster the growth of aikido worldwide...?

In any case, your comments are right on the mark!

3. MartialIntent

MartialIntent Black Belt

samurai69, thanks for posting this!

Agree with this certainly, simply because combat in general terms equates to *fighting* whereas the point of utilising Aikido in a situation of conflict is not to engage in combat but to resolve it though the techniques which are deliberately non-opposing and instead re-directing.

I think there are few genuine martial artists who would disagree with that from whatever art and whatever style. To provoke fights deliberately is, imo, contrary to the ethos of most practitioners.

I'd agree with pstarr's comment
    And again would be slightly concerned that in order to achieve this subtle flavoring of Aikido to suit [dare I say it] unrefined palates in the west, that a great deal of what drives Aikido would necessarily be sacrificed to practitioners who simply seek a quick and probably adulterated fix of techniques.

Good post though!

Respects!

4. Hand Sword

Hand Sword Grandmaster

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
    Definitely a good find! Even sadder for non Aikidoka, or better explained as "new scool" martial artists coming up in a time where Mcdojos and watered down styles were the norm, and their source of reference, is that their styles, also practiced things slow and precise, in the old days. That's how the Old masters got so good..Careful focus on the details of the movements.123