Aikido is the best self defense

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think we've all lost track of what this thread is about.

Is it beautiful?
Are there any fancy movements or wasting of energy?
Does it make you calm?
Is it elegant and also deadly?
And last but not least, can someone please tell me once and for all if Aikido is THE BEST for self defense?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Is it beautiful?
Answer: Depending on the school, it can be very fluid to watch.

Does it make you calm?
Answer: This is the school of thought as it has elements of Zen Buddhism built into the core concept of Aikido.

Are there any fancy movements or wasting of energy?
Again, it depends on the school. The founder was attempting to simplify all that he learned from various styles of Jiu Jitsu, both Aiki Jiu Jitsu and Danzan Ryu, along with Judo. And this is the foundation of Aikido.

Is it elegant and also deadly?
Answer: It is elegant, but not deadly. Traditional Aiki Jiu Jitsu or Danzan Ryu, on the other hand, teach you how to break wrists, and destroy your opponent. It is referred to as the gentle art, but this is wrong, because real JJ, not that watered down stuff taught by Gracie, has around 2,000 movements to learn, and it was designed to do the most amount of damage with the least amount of noise. Whereas, Aikido, took out all of the deadly, and left in the fluid. Many independent schools of Aikido realize that Aikido created by it's founder isn't appropriate for real world situations and have merged it with other styles that complement it. If I were to study Aikido I would specifically ask my teacher for permission to study an additional style, and i would probably choose Muay Thai, Wing Chun, or even traditional Danzan Ryu Jiu Jitsu.

Latest Discussions