Aikido: Confronting a Crisis

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true. But ...

The specific kinds of human activity that a person will find conducive to personal growth are particular to that individual. One person might find enlightenment through mathematics, another through carpentry, another through Aikido. A person who finds their life transformed through karate may not experience anything special from practicing pottery and vice-versa.

So if someone finds their life enriched through practice of Aikido, then more power to them. If they're getting what they want out of it. who am I to tell them otherwise?
This is my view, too. I don't really like the philosophical approach I see in a lot of the Aikido dojos I've visited, but it works for the folks who train there, so I'm glad it exists for them. For some folks, it's just a good mix for them of physical work, philosophical thought, skill development, ritual, and cameraderie.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
....A person who finds their life transformed through karate may not experience anything special from practicing pottery and vice-versa.

So if someone finds their life enriched through practice of Aikido, then more power to them. If they're getting what they want out of it. who am I to tell them otherwise?
And this the problem with aikido - it does not deliver anything what cannot be delivered to people by other forms of activity. As somebody has written before about spritual, self-defence and dance (gimnastic?) aspects - other activities deliver better product.
BJJ sucks in teachining people how to punch, but if somebody wants to learn groundfighting his first choice should be BJJ.
Boxing sucks in teachining people how to grapple, but but if somebody wants to learn nosebreaking his first choice should be boxing.
What can be delivered by aikido what cannot be delivered better by other activities?
The market demand for low quality selfdefence mixed with low quality gymnastics mixed with low quality philosophy (all for not the lowest price) is not very high, so the aikido is in the crysis.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this the problem with aikido - it does not deliver anything what cannot be delivered to people by other forms of activity. As somebody has written before about spritual, self-defence and dance (gimnastic?) aspects - other activities deliver better product.
BJJ sucks in teachining people how to punch, but if somebody wants to learn groundfighting his first choice should be BJJ.
Boxing sucks in teachining people how to grapple, but but if somebody wants to learn nosebreaking his first choice should be boxing.
What can be delivered by aikido what cannot be delivered better by other activities?
That same can be said of most anything. What does football deliver that can't be found in 3 other pursuits? Parts of BJJ are done better by catch wrestling, Judo, etc.

What this approach does is argue something isn't valuable if you can name some primary traits that can be found better elsewhere. Yet, somehow, the name of the art is ignored. Where can you better learn aiki movement and body mechanics?

(And even if you could learn those better in another readily available art, if the mix fits some folks' needs/desires, who are you to say they don't get to decide that?)

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
....(And even if you could learn those better in another readily available art, if the mix fits some folks' needs/desires, who are you to say they don't get to decide that?)
People can choose whatever they want. But In times of wide access to various hight quality services, the demand for aikido is less than it used to be.
This is the source of the aikido crisis

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Similar claims (something else can do each of the pieces of what you do) can be made about pretty much anything, depending how you break it down. It's like choosing the statistics to fit an argument.
Okay, but I'm just asking questions about the selling points, and how they compete with the other available options. And IF finding another selling point would be better. What can't be argued is that aikido is on the decline, as pointed out in the article. So what are they going to do about it? Because what they're doing now isn't working.

For the first (spiritual), I challenge you to define any reasonable metric for your claim that something (literally anything is better at this. For some folks, Aikido fits perfectly their philosophical interest.
The metric is specific optimization. Is mind/body/spirit what aikido was designed for? With the availability of yoga, tai chi, etc; how does aikido compete? Note: this isn't a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious about the answer.

As for the dance with a partner thing, that's just a spurious argument. I could easily argue ballroom dancing is better dance with a partner than square dancing. Or vice-versa. This is another where there's no reasonable way to support your claim -
To someone who sees two aikidoka performing, but has never previously heard of aikido or know what it is, they could see it as a dance. The movements are certainly graceful enough. In the highly improbable scenario that there's an aikido dojo in a metro area where ballroom dancing is not, would you say that someone interested in ballroom dancing wouldn't be more likely to be interested in aikido than other people in town after seeing a demonstration (assuming that such a person is no more interested in martial arts than the average person in that community)?

you're just looking for something bad to say about an art you aren't fond of.

My advice to you: don't train Aikido if you're not interested in it, and leave it for those who are.
I'm not trying to yuck anyone else's yum. I'm simply questioning the selling points of aikido, and whether or not another one needs to be established.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What can't be argued is that aikido is on the decline, as pointed out in the article
Was Aikido ever on the incline? I don't think it's ever been very popular in terms of numbers. That's probably why it's considered esoteric.

It's kind of a jujutsu tangent, and there are so many, and very few of them became what I'd consider a popular art, like Judo. Aikido will keep getting compared to Judo forever, for obvious reasons.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rokas Leonavicius
Jun 3, 2020

Aikido is best known for its sophisticated philosophy. Learn more about it here and why eventually it fails to deliver its own promise.

00:00 Intro
00:55 Understanding Aikido philosophy
06:30 Why Aikido fails to deliver this philosophy
10:04 How Aikido’s philosophy failed historically
15:54 Why Aikido philosophy fails on a physical level
19:15 The best solution for Aikido
23:54 The crises that Aikido is now in
28:44 Rediscovering Aikido

Rokas Leonavicius
Jun 26, 2020

What would it be like if someone was a capable fighter and lived by Aikido philosophy? Francisco de los Cobos is that person. In this episode of Rediscovering Aikido I talk with Francisco about his martial arts biography, whether Aikido right now is in a crises, how you can not be a pacifist if you are incapable of violence and much more.

Listen to the audio podcast version here: https://anchor.fm/the-questioning-pod...

00:00 Intro
07:00 Francisco de los Cobos’ Background
25:29 The reason people start Aikido
30:51 You can’t be a pacifist if you’are incapable of violence
34:14 Ignoring violence does not solve the problem
37:33 Is Aikido in a crises?
43:39 What makes Aikido unique
49:39 Would it help Aikido to disown the martial aspect?
56:28 What if Aikido would make you into a peaceful badass
01:00:00 How much Aikido is part of you?
01:04:38 What is Aikido philosophy to you?
01:11:52 Why Batman inspires you?
01:15:25 Saying thank you where thank you is due

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The market demand for low quality selfdefence mixed with low quality gymnastics mixed with low quality philosophy (all for not the lowest price) is not very high, so the aikido is in the crysis.
What you see as “better” is simply your opinion. That assessment is purely subjective.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People can choose whatever they want. But In times of wide access to various hight quality services, the demand for aikido is less than it used to be.
This is the source of the aikido crisis
There is no aikido crisis. Doomsday preachers have existed for centuries.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want your martial art to be around then remember to keep it functional. Anything less than that will require you to keep it trendy.

Yoga is functional for what it offers. Yoga isn't easy. It requires mental and physical effort.

Tma schools would do much better if the school hit the bags regularly. Hitting the bags is a good stress relief which means people leave your class feeling better than they did coming to class.

Build relationships within the school. Social bonds are critical. Don't underestimate the value of that.

I haven’t been to the gym in almost 4 months people at the gym still ask about me. Social bonds matter. Sometimes your Normal uneventful life is inspiration for others. Sometimes what you see as insignificant about your life is the most important to others. Create quality Social bonds.

Alot of TMA schools are ran by people who have no desire to be bigger than a handful of students. They have no desire to be popular and they don't do the things that would make them popular.

A martial arts school is a business only when you treat it as one. Anything less is just a small gathering of people who may or may not show up.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Specifically Aikido isn't the problem. It's the marking of Aikido. In my mind Aikido doesn't know what it wants to be. Rokkas is a good example of this.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Specifically Aikido isn't the problem. It's the marking of Aikido. In my mind Aikido doesn't know what it wants to be. Rokkas is a good example of this.
I still cannot fathom what anybody would pay attention to Rokas. He is not a leader in Aikido. The guys who really dedicated their lives to it and became really good, some of whom trained directly with the founder, people like Robert Nadeau sensei in San Francisco, are the people who inspired me about aikido. I never found the time to train with him, but watching his class some 25 or more years ago is what made me know I wanted to give it a go someday.

Rokas? By comparison he is a Johnny-come-lately who never amounted to anything. Why would anyone look to him?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still cannot fathom what anybody would pay attention to Rokas. He is not a leader in Aikido. The guys who really dedicated their lives to it and became really good, some of whom trained directly with the founder, people like Robert Nadeau sensei in San Francisco, are the people who inspired me about aikido. I never found the time to train with him, but watching his class some 25 or more years ago is what made me know I wanted to give it a go someday.

Rokas? By comparison he is a Johnny-come-lately who never amounted to anything. Why would anyone look to him?
He provides people with 'proof' that Aikido does not work.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He provides people with 'proof' that Aikido does not work.
He provides people with proof that he isn’t very good at aikido. That’s ok. Aikido isn’t a good match for him. He does not need to do aikido. There are plenty of other things I am sure he can become moderately good at.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He provides people with proof that he isn’t very good at aikido. That’s ok. Aikido isn’t a good match for him. He does not need to do aikido. There are plenty of other things I am sure he can become moderately good at.
Just in case it wasn't clear, that's why I put proof in quotes. As you mention, all he provides is he was not good at using Aikido. Whether that's a fault of Aikido, himself, or his school/instructor (back when he was a student), I do not know. But one data point is not proof.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just in case it wasn't clear, that's why I put proof in quotes. As you mention, all he provides is he was not good at using Aikido. Whether that's a fault of Aikido, himself, or his school/instructor (back when he was a student), I do not know. But one data point is not proof.
Sure, I understood. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still cannot fathom what anybody would pay attention to Rokas.
For me he's a good example of how not do go about it. He's falling in all the mistake pits and people can learn what not to do and why. If you look at how long it took for him to get to where he is, I say it shouln"t have taken him this long to get to where he is with his functional Aikido attempts..

I think BJJ may have "Poisoned his well" and as a result BJJ is his base for Aikido. In other words he's trying to do Aikido from a BJJ perspective. As a result his crouched stance may be taking away opportunities to use Aikido.

People do Aikido sparring competitions do. Not move like Rokas. But any way. He's a good example of what not to do and why. When I watch his videos I hear my inner teacher say " This is why we don't do it this way."

From there I can start to see where the technique breaks. One thing that rokas doesn't seem to understand is that stance height influence the opponents attack. He doesn't use that to help guide the opponent into a specific attack.

But I wouldn't use him as an example of how to correctly do Aikido.