Aging and Body Changes Questions

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Glad I got a new 8' bull whip the other day.. it may just have to be my replacement weapons ;)
Only 8' :) . I thought for sure you'd be able to keep Chad in check from at least 15'. :uhyeah:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
*wicked smile.. He doesn't know me very well does he*

Fedora? Indiana Jones? uhhhhhh.. I don't think so Navarre..
Thanks for the well wishes though ~!

A bit More like this.. ;)
Now why did that very picture come to mind when I read your post. hmm. :rolleyes:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
*wicked smile.. He doesn't know me very well does he*

Fedora? Indiana Jones? uhhhhhh.. I don't think so Navarre..
Thanks for the well wishes though ~!

A bit More like this.. ;)

I shoulda looked in on this thread a long time ago!

Eternal Beginner said:
I wondered if anyone else has experienced "old man strength"? A lot of the younger guys in our club (late teens to mid-20's) comment that the "older" guys in their late 30's to 50's have "old man strength" and it is always a hard roll for them even if they have speed and technique.

I don't think I expressed that well...:idunno:

I've been told that strength can and does increase up until (I've been told) one's late 60's. It's also fair to say that I agree with:
Phoenix 44 said:
...but I find experience and treachery goes a LOOONG way.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
I wondered if anyone else has experienced "old man strength"? A lot of the younger guys in our club (late teens to mid-20's) comment that the "older" guys in their late 30's to 50's have "old man strength" and it is always a hard roll for them even if they have speed and technique.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm old (37), but I am the oldest student in the dojo.

Yes, I hear it all the time too when the young'uns are paired up with me. "Oh great! I get to have the old guy kick my *** tonight!"

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this KenpoTess! Have you been restricted from training by your physician while the toe heals?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Much of what has been described is called "nature." Nothing wrong with that. There are measures one can take to make the breakdown more pleasant. Stay strong. Flexibility is, in my opinion, the best thing anyone (not just athletes or MA) can do for quality of life through the years. A few pounds here and there? No big deal, unless your obese or overweight, don't worry about it. Most people's build changes as they age, it's nature, your structure changes, your metabolic rate changes, just adapt and move on.

And the Mifune video bignick recommended is quite impressive.

You're right about flexibility, IMHO. If you work throughout your 20's and 30's to retain some flexibility - even 30-40 minutes a week - you will have done much to halt the effects of aging upon athletic prowress.

BTW, congratulations on your MT green belt! Hope you post a lot more here as you seem to have a lot of knowledge in regards to physical education.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
You're right about flexibility, IMHO. If you work throughout your 20's and 30's to retain some flexibility - even 30-40 minutes a week - you will have done much to halt the effects of aging upon athletic prowress.

BTW, congratulations on your MT green belt! Hope you post a lot more here as you seem to have a lot of knowledge in regards to physical education.

Thanks, I enjoy several sections of this board. Huh, didn't even notice the green belt...that's pretty cool.

Also, "old guys" typically have had years of experience with turning wrenches, shoveling and other manual labor type tasks...hence the tendency for "freaky strength." I've found this to be more true in older gentlemen, as in, a generation or two back, as they were less inclined to sedentary lifestyles and more farming and the like. But then there are those old guys that can grab your leg or arm or something and squeeze and just drop you to the floor...hope I'm one of those.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini, But of course you did ;)

Jeff, I didn't even ask the doc.. course it was an ER physician.. so I'm using my head and not going to do anything silly like kicking.. I'm on crutches.. which can make for a nice weapon too~!

I think at my age, I'm more atune to my body. I know my limitations and tend to go a bit beyond.. just to test myself. When it hurts.. I stop, well most of the time. Spending the last year doing manual labor (Construction) has indeed tested me. 12 hour days out in 90 plus heat and the same time frame in 20 degrees hefting lumber, swinging a hammer has built my endurance level for sure.
I know I'm better off now than I was in my 20's. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well kenpo Tess one thing is for sure when you reach 29 we tend to be alert about our bodys little qurks. I know I been 29, 16 times it feel great, I wonder what thirty gonna feel like oh the horror.:rofl:
Terry

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Isn't 30 the 'New 20'? *innocent looks all around*
That's what I heard - and other similar renditions (see siggy).

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'm probably deserve to get a couple of e-slaps and kicks in the *** for this reply, but the truth is that I'm having issues with turning 30. I don't think that I'll suddenly become "old" but it seems as if my 20s were really just a transition period from high school to real adulthood...as if I haven't been a real adult for some time now with a family, two kids, a career, a martial arts school, etc...

The bottom line is that I really like being in tip top shape. It makes me feel good and young and full of life. With this imaginary line approaching, I am wondering if the tippy top is different now or if it was 11 years ago.

I was in better shape at 30-40 than 20's, was running half-marathon's-40-50 miles a week. But physically all over stronger in my 50's. I just led a kickboxing class and made all the 20-30's weep! Least they were doubled over. But they were all blue belt and under. But I go from one problem to another, knees, foot, ankle, shoulder, hand, but knees are pretty permanent now. Take care of your knees, ankles, now. Take glucosamine. After 40, you will feel more aches and pains, after 50, they are not imaginary at all and you have to take care of your body or it just gets worse. For that matter take care of your body right now - feed it lots of vitamins, nutrients. And always continue that exercise. The saying that if you don't use it, you lose it is SO true. My instructor is 44 now and still going way strong, least can still do those aerial flying sidekicks for the photos and he times himself to do 5000 front kicks in 8 minutes per 1000. Can't keep up with him. We all do ten minutes per. So its good to go into the 40's in the best shape and better yet to go into the 50's in tippy shape. TW

Latest Discussions