Aging and Body Changes Questions

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not old. I'm 29.

However, I've noticed that my body has been changing since high school. When I was 18, I wrestled at 5'10" 165 lbs. This was a competitive weight, I was very strong, and extremely quick.

11 years later, I'm 185. I'm just as strong, my max presses haven't changed, and I'm a tad slower, but that is only because I don't have time anymore for 4-5 hour workouts 7 days a week.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of change in their bodies as they've gotten a little older? Is this part of a natural maturing process your body goes through? Would it even be possible for me to cut 20 lbs in order to get back to my high school level of fitness?

upnorthkyosa

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I too have noticed changes as I have aged. I actually find now, in my mid 30's, that I am much stronger than in my early 20's...don't know if that is normal, but it is my personal experience. True, I am a tad slower but I find my stamina is better now. Long periods of sustained effort are much easier for me but that could be because I've mentally matured and learned how to pace myself.

The most bothersome thing about aging that I have noticed is recovery time has slowed. Whereas in the old days I could go all out and in a day or two be back to fighting fit, now I take a little longer to be feeling 100%. Injuries also seem to be more of an issue.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I take a lot longer to recover. totally out of the picture? Tying one on the night before a saturday class-sunday tourney!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed differences. I'm 31 now myself. My right knee bothers me quite a bit and trying my best to keep away from a surgeon. It takes longer to recover from leg day at the gym, or running on the treadmill. I wrestled at 135 as a senior, now I"m almost 160. I can't say if I've gotten slower or not as I don't spar anywhere near as much as I used to. I weight lift 5 days a week. Also, enjoy cardio sessions, or biking at night.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm 42, and some days I AM old. (Or feel like it.)

I've seen the changes as well. I do feel stronger than when I was 18, but its a different stronger... not explosive strength, more of a slower maintainable strenght???

The pounds will be harder to drop the older you get as well, and recovery is a lot slower....

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
...I do feel stronger than when I was 18, but its a different stronger... not explosive strength, more of a slower maintainable strenght???
That is exactly what I feel - I just didn't express it as well as you did. Thanks
smile.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Has anyone else noticed this kind of change in their bodies as they've gotten a little older? Is this part of a natural maturing process your body goes through? Would it even be possible for me to cut 20 lbs in order to get back to my high school level of fitness?

upnorthkyosa

Yup, have noticed it immensely. Especially in my later 30's. Could be though that I was sedentary for so many years and didn't start MA until I was 36 so I had a prolonged period of inactivity from my teen years to then. I will never get back to my preteen years but I can work toward staying healthy now. In the long run, that is what is important to me.

In answer to your question about cutting 20 pounds, would you want to? Are you looking at doing it to improve your fitness level or just because of the number? I know guys that are your height and your weight and they "look" fantastic. There are also guys that look great at 165 too. Depends on your body shape.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too wrestled in high school and can tell a similar story.

I do know that weight charts allow for middle age drift in many areas--stewardesses weer suing for a change to such a chart several years back, and the military allows it, I believe. It happens.

Cerayinly, I recover more slowly and can't eat as I used to. What can you do?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ran track and cross-country in high school, and have been training martial arts since I was 13. When I graduated, i weighed about 150. I have held in the range of 150-155 since then, and I am 34 now. I have had times when I have ranged as high as 165, but for the most part, when my training has been consistant, i have held the 150-155.

In my early and mid twenties I trained capoeira like a fiend. My weight stayed about the same, maybe dropped a few pounds, but my fitness level was higher than any other time. I was quite "cut" physically.

My focus in the last several years has been in the Chinese arts, and I practice a lot of forms. Very long forms, that are done all out like a sprint. Each one takes about two minutes to perform, so it can be pretty intense and exhausting.

I think many of us find ourselves in a lifestyle that lends itself to being sendentary. We sit at a desk all day, and watch TV at night. Perhaps our metabolism can slow as we age, but I think it shouldn't be too extreme in the 30s, and even 40s or 50s. Look for ways to make your life more "mobile". If possible, walk to work in the morning instead of driving. When you take your lunch break, go for a brisk walk, instead of sitting in a restaurant eating a burger. Then eat lunch at your desk, and choose something more healthy, even if you have to bring it from home. Instead of turning on the TV at night, stop and think if you might rather go for another walk, or would be better off training, even if it is at home and you don't have room to do a lot. Any bit that you do is better for you than watching TV. You may even start to enjoy it!

Make choices in your life that create a "mobile" lifestyle. It is the constant movement that keeps you fit. This will boost your martial arts or gym training immensly, and you will see it in your fitness level. Extra pounds will start to disappear. Training intensly at a gym three days a week, but doing nothing else in the mean time isn't going to do it. You need movement every day, more than once a day.

Once upon a time, most people lived and worked in a way that included some sort of physical labor. We didn't have the heart disease and obesity in our society that we have now. Maybe we can recapture that fitness level.

Watch what you eat. We all know this, but it is way too easy to fail in this. My office has candy sitting around constantly. I have to make a daily decision to not eat it by the shovel full.

Make conscious dietary decisions and don't just grab what is easy and convenient. Most of what is easy and convenient is not good for you, and you can do without it.

Yes, as we age, our bodies change. But I believe they don't need to change nearly so drastically as many people experience. There are many things that we can do to keep our lifestyle healthier, and keep these negative changes at bay for much longer. You just have to make some decisions, and be willing to stick to them. And the occasional violation is not the end of the world, just get back on track, it's ok.

I believe we are all much more capable than we are conditioned to believe. As a culture, we have eccepted mediocrity, but we don't have to. Bring yourself up from that, and demand better of yourself.

We are all martial artists. Hopefully, we all enjoy our training for its own sake. Martial arts can be a great avenue for fitness. But you have to enjoy it. This is very important. No matter how effective an exercise program may be, if you don't enjoy it, you will eventually quit and it will do no good. If you enjoy your training, you should never have this problem. Always seek to find what it is that you enjoy about your training, and keep that in focus.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm just a whippersnapper yet, but if you'd like to see the some graceful aging...I'd recommend checking out the video "Kodokan Judo: with Master Technician Kyuzo Mifune"

In it he's 73 years old and under 110 lbs. He does randori with guys that are 6'4" and about 290 lbs and he just destroys them. Doing throws like kata guruma(fireman's carry). I've watched this video a lot and I'm still amazed by what you can do after training in something for 60+ years.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
In answer to your question about cutting 20 pounds, would you want to? Are you looking at doing it to improve your fitness level or just because of the number? I know guys that are your height and your weight and they "look" fantastic. There are also guys that look great at 165 too. Depends on your body shape.
I'm probably deserve to get a couple of e-slaps and kicks in the *** for this reply, but the truth is that I'm having issues with turning 30. I don't think that I'll suddenly become "old" but it seems as if my 20s were really just a transition period from high school to real adulthood...as if I haven't been a real adult for some time now with a family, two kids, a career, a martial arts school, etc...

The bottom line is that I really like being in tip top shape. It makes me feel good and young and full of life. With this imaginary line approaching, I am wondering if the tippy top is different now or if it was 11 years ago.

:idunno:

upnorthkyosa

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'm probably deserve to get a couple of e-slaps and kicks in the *** for this reply, but the truth is that I'm having issues with turning 30. I don't think that I'll suddenly become "old" but it seems as if my 20s were really just a transition period from high school to real adulthood...as if I haven't been a real adult for some time now with a family, two kids, a career, a martial arts school, etc...

The bottom line is that I really like being in tip top shape. It makes me feel good and young and full of life. With this imaginary line approaching, I am wondering if the tippy top is different now or if it was 11 years ago.

upnorthkyosa
Turning 30 was no big deal for me. If you want to stay in shape, keep training, keep moving, work to eliminate bad habits from your lifestyle. It can be hard with the obligations that a family, kids and career put on you, but you can figure out how to do it if it is important to you. I believe very strongly that you are only as old and incapable as you decide you are. Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Turning 30 was no big deal for me. If you want to stay in shape, keep training, keep moving, work to eliminate bad habits from your lifestyle. It can be hard with the obligations that a family, kids and career put on you, but you can figure out how to do it if it is important to you. I believe very strongly that you are only as old and incapable as you decide you are. Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
I still find time to train...although it occurs at odd times of the day...4:30 am for instance. Given all of my responsabilities, I put in about 6-8 of personal MA practice and 6 hours of teaching each week. This is pretty heavy, but I am currently training for my 3rd dan.

As far as your point regarding attitude, I agree, with qualification...that is that whatever goals one sets, they have to be realistic. For instance, in accordance with the subject of this thread, if I set a goal to drop 20 lbs and get back to my high school wrestling weight and my body was just not capable of doing that anymore, then that would be an unrealistic goal.

I wonder if the problem is that I'm just beginning to notice my age and its freaking me out. Ten years ago, working out hard on the mat at night and getting up early next morning for more was totally within the realm of possability. Now, I'm really "feeling it" the next day...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

Not so much a kick in the *** as a :btg: ;)

upnorthkyosa said:

upnorthkyosa

Tippy Toppy (lol, love that expression btw) can't be what it was 11 years ago. Your muscles are older, your bones are older, you body structure is older. Can you still be in tip top shape, absolutely. Don't let numbers become the focus. Make sure, instead, it is how you are feeling. Listening to your body is important.

When I met my husband, who btw I think is in fabuous shape now, he was probably 20 pounds lighter too but he was 19! I don't think his body had completely finished developing. I look at pictures of him back then and think, WOW! What a skinny guy! LOL! He was less muscular, less shape, more bean pole. :D

All in all I think striving for what is the past is futile. Keeping in shape, living a good life and enjoying it is what should be our focus.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I still find time to train...although it occurs at odd times of the day...4:30 am for instance. Given all of my responsabilities, I put in about 6-8 of personal MA practice and 6 hours of teaching each week. This is pretty heavy, but I am currently training for my 3rd dan.

As far as your point regarding attitude, I agree, with qualification...that is that whatever goals one sets, they have to be realistic. For instance, in accordance with the subject of this thread, if I set a goal to drop 20 lbs and get back to my high school wrestling weight and my body was just not capable of doing that anymore, then that would be an unrealistic goal.

I wonder if the problem is that I'm just beginning to notice my age and its freaking me out. Ten years ago, working out hard on the mat at night and getting up early next morning for more was totally within the realm of possability. Now, I'm really "feeling it" the next day...
You've got some points here, but I still believe much of your limitations, esp. at your young age, are in your head. I believe very very strongly, that we are all capable of much more than we think. Maybe not immediately, but if we work up to it intelligently, I think it is true.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
You've got some points here, but I still believe much of your limitations, esp. at your young age, are in your head. I believe very very strongly, that we are all capable of much more than we think. Maybe not immediately, but if we work up to it intelligently, I think it is true.
If this is all in my head, that is actually a relief. I would much rather conquer problems my mind caused rather then problems that my body caused.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Getting older? Slower? heavier? I don't mind, it just raises the bar of the challenge a little. I'll find new ways to replace the loss of youth, wisdom generally suffices.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
If this is all in my head, that is actually a relief. I would much rather conquer problems my mind caused rather then problems that my body caused.
Then go get 'em!!

Latest Discussions