Additional Attacks From Back Control when Choke is Denied

BJJ Basics

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are two arm locks I really like when my partner is defending their neck too well for me to apply a choke nicely.

What are your preferred attacks from this position when the neck is defended? Is there a particular strategy that you've found fruitful?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe....
Of course in a SD or MMA situation you can strike, but you sacrifice a lot of control over your opponent (particularly if they are face up) and a skilled opponent will use that space to escape

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's all about self defence no

And I'd suggest that, when dealing with a grappler in that position, a hammer fist may not be the best option as you lose a lot of control

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it's all about self defence no

And I'd suggest that, when dealing with a grappler in that position, a hammer fist may not be the best option as you lose a lot of control
I don't think it is all about hammer fist either. I'm certain you also know that. Position, Control, Execution. Within Position and Control we have to create a set up for the opponent. If they are simply defending and creating a reason to move can be a good option. And of course at the same time we are aware the opponent may well be waiting on an opportunity as well. Options, options, options. But some how I believe you already know this.

Latest Discussions