A Primer on Situational Awareness

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by Bill Mattocks, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I am putting this here instead of The Study because I think it relates directly to self-defense (as in 'avoiding the need to employ physical violence'), it is topical (recent travel advisory for American traveling to Europe), and it is something that everyone would do well knowing a little something about (in my humble opinion). If it needs to be moved to another forum, my apologies in advance.

I enjoy reading STRATFOR, a more in-depth look at the news for those who aren't necessarily intelligence or law-enforcement professionals, but who still want more non-political analysis of the news that provided by the mainstream news media. Or, as they say on their own webite:

I was reading this article:

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/2010...book&utm_medium=official&utm_campaign=gweekly

This is a very interesting piece on its own, but it led me to this piece, which I thought might be of more enduring value:

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100609_primer_situational_awareness?fn=2617288217

Hope you find it useful, I did.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Omar B

Omar B Senior Master

Pretty good read that second article.

3. Gemini

Gemini Senior Master

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I thought the article was well written. Though I don't normally think of myself in those terms, it was pretty easy to envision instances where I've demonstrated different levels. I actually spend more time in focused awareness than I would have thought. :)

Regards,

4. Big Don

Big Don Sr. Grandmaster

I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it, or more likely read it, but, KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL, has been a long habit of mine, and has kept me safe, not just from crime, but, falling equipment, etc.
    There is nothing you can do that will serve you as well as being aware of your environment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith Master of Arts

The primer is ok.

But the ideas of a color code system have been around along time.

Jeff Cooper popularized one.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/color.htm

As it says on Frog's website:

"He further simplified things in Vol 13 #7 of his Commentaries."

"In White you are unprepared and unready to take lethal action. If you are attacked in White you will probably die unless your adversary is totally inept.

In Yellow you bring yourself to the understanding that your life may be in danger and that you may have to do something about it.
    In Orange you have determined upon a specific adversary and are prepared to take action which may result in his death, but you are not in a lethal mode.

In Red you are in a lethal mode and will shoot if circumstances warrant."

And this meshes very well with Massad Ayoobs 'Level of Force Continuum".

Deaf

6. First Action

First Action Orange Belt

7. altc

altc White Belt

Good stuff. I have been a long time reader of Stratfor's stuff. For those interested I recommend subscribing to the two free newsletters they have to stay up to date on new articles.

I also think it is important for people to have a basic understanding of the 'Terror Attack Cycle' so we can recognise when something is not right and report it to the appropriate authorities.123