A knife would be useful...

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not that i know of. I meant a literal string attached to the belt so you can either let the pistol ride across your leg or something, i don't know how historically accurate the example is.

Also thats a interesting thing to look into anyway, didnt know you could make a holster out of string.
A holster made of string can be an option, but putting a holster on the end of a string to drop down your pants is stupid.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kind of like the story for inside the waitband pistol carrying, where you would attach the pistol to your belt via string or its holster and drop it down your trouser leg to make it harder to see. Basically its the knife equal of the "i don't need it right now" type of carry.

That's one heck of a visual, that is. What's that, like a crime scene down your pants?

And my God, if we continuously practiced quick draw - we might very well go blind.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess as soon as you hit the ground you gotta get knife out then. How long do you have in the choke before lights out?

So there's been 3 seconds quoted, and 6 seconds.

My personal opinion is that it's an irrelevant amount of seconds...

Arm yourself with a pen then get someone who knows what they're doing to get you in any sort of effective choke, like they mean it.

Now try getting the pen lid off and marking them. At all. You'll be disoriented and fumbling unless you're used to being there - it's not the same as sitting on the sofa for 3-6 seconds playing with a knife...

Going for their choke arm is no good, you're just as likely to stab yourself in the neck. You can't effectively reach their head or torso, you might get a leg.

But winging their leg is so very unlikely to make them stop, it's more likely to just make them choke harder.

The only sensible and reliable defence (apart from being a good grappler) is not to get in that position at all.

D

Deleted member 34973

You could carry more than one knife. At least in Washington State. But I agree with most of the comments. A decent ground game, with developing ground striking, would be beneficial.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm old and not going to do much as a grappler. That is why I prefer weapons. I guess as soon as you hit the ground you gotta get knife out then. How long do you have in the choke before lights out?
You're from NYC. If you prefer weapons and want to carry weapons that are most effective my advice would be to move to PA, which is not that far from NYC and carry a gun. Unlike in NYC, in PA you can carry that sort of stuff provided you get a carry permit.
I don't know if you can carry a fixed blade knife in NYC but they're definitely more effective than folding knives.
As I said, your best bet would probably be to move somewhere such as PA.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're from NYC. If you prefer weapons and want to carry weapons that are most effective my advice would be to move to PA, which is not that far from NYC and carry a gun. Unlike in NYC, in PA you can carry that sort of stuff provided you get a carry permit.
I don't know if you can carry a fixed blade knife in NYC but they're definitely more effective than folding knives.

If you're considering going to the extreme of moving, why not go that tiny bit further and move somewhere that doesn't make you feel like you need to arm yourself to leave the house?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're considering going to the extreme of moving, why not go that tiny bit further and move somewhere that doesn't make you feel like you need to arm yourself to leave the house?
Ask the OP, he's the one that wants to carry weapons.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
New York state allows concealed carry, New York City does not.

D

Deleted member 39746

Arm yourself with a pen then get someone who knows what they're doing to get you in any sort of effective choke, like they mean it.

Shock knives are good if they are lawful where you live, you can dial them to 0 or maximum, they at least work to scare the bajebus out of you and not want to get cut, or to work through pain.

i would also argue those knives you can apply to ink work better for this just as a better analog, but budgeting is budgeting a pen works sufficiently.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wait, kubotons are illegal in NYC? Since when? I knew my Communist home state was bad, but DAMN!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait, kubotons are illegal in NYC? Since when? I knew my Communist home state was bad, but DAMN!
As far as I am aware, they are not illegal. I looked in the past for NYC, but could not find anything suggesting kubatons are illegal-that may have changed though. As for NY as a state, here is what I keep bookmarked on it.

Article 265 Penal Law Firearms | Dangerous Weapons | NY Law

The relevant section for this would be
S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type
slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
(2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto,
imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another; or
(3); or
(4) He possesses a rifle, shotgun, antique firearm, black powder
rifle, black powder shotgun, or any muzzle-loading firearm, and has been
convicted of a felony or serious offense; or
(5) He possesses any dangerous or deadly weapon and is not a citizen
of the United States; or
(6) He is a person who has been certified not suitable to possess a
rifle or shotgun, as defined in subdivision sixteen of section 265.00,
and refuses to yield possession of such rifle or shotgun upon the demand
of a police officer. Whenever a person is certified not suitable to
possess a rifle or shotgun, a member of the police department to which
such certification is made, or of the state police, shall forthwith
seize any rifle or shotgun possessed by such person. A rifle or shotgun
seized as herein provided shall not be destroyed, but shall be delivered
to the headquarters of such police department, or state police, and
there retained until the aforesaid certificate has been rescinded by the
director or physician in charge, or other disposition of such rifle or
shotgun has been ordered or authorized by a court of competent
jurisdiction.
(7) He knowingly possesses a bullet containing an explosive substance
designed to detonate upon impact.
(8) He possesses any armor piercing ammunition with intent to use the
same unlawfully against another.
Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree is a class A misdemeanor.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, they are not illegal. I looked in the past for NYC, but could not find anything suggesting kubatons are illegal-that may have changed though. As for NY as a state, here is what I keep bookmarked on it.

Article 265 Penal Law Firearms | Dangerous Weapons | NY Law

The relevant section for this would be
I believe that the addition for new york state is specifically for guns and knives, and regarding knives, you cannot have a blade more than 4 inches long. I believe gravity knives were recently un-illegalized for NYC, which (I believe) means that the small pocketknives/swiss army knives that were previously illegal are now legal.

I don't think I said "I believe" enough, so just to make sure. I believe all of the above. I should be fact checked by anyone planning to carry a knife or other weapon into NYC.