6 year old first dan??? whiskey tango foxtrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do not know if that was meant to be funny but it was not. We have one incredible son. Never have nor never will be ashamed of him. Why would you ever make that comment?
And yes, our son graduated college. What is your point?
If you posted a video of him doing something, I’d be happy to find another kid to whom We could compare him. I mean. That’s what we’re doing here. Right? To be clear, I think that’s a terrible idea. You’re the one doing it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
but. you can learn how to take IQ tests, so IQ test are in themselves a specific field
I’m still curious about which universities in Britain use IQ as an entrance criterion. Which one is that again? oxford? Cambridge? Art Institute of Shoreditch?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
MA/CA * 100. I will put more stock in other standardized test, like the ACT and SAT.
You really seem stuck on the standardized tests in general. I was saying that the standardized tests are just a part of the application. Most And the ones you’re referencing are for undergrad degrees. Well, except the IQ test... no one uses that. Jobo was talking about graduate school.

But, just for fun, can you explain how this relates to the thread?

you would be hard pressed to find a non diploma mill that has ever issued a phD to anyone with an iq of 70.

while not a predictor of success... the cutoff for the American armed services is 70. There is a reason for that.
Saying that only people in the top 5% IQ are admitted to a PhD program is very different than saying someone with impaired cognition will be able to earn a PhD.

D

Deleted member 39746

I’m still curious about which universities in Britain use IQ as an entrance criterion. Which one is that again? oxford? Cambridge? Art Institute of Shoreditch?

None, they use the next best thing, A-Levels. :p

Anyway, couldn't resist the jab, carry on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If we can't rely on belts as a standard then as informed martial artists we would be better off using another method or at least validating that with other methods.

In other words if our child black belt is the real deal. Then we would need to back that up with evidence.

That would separate a good school from a crap one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
do You think the girl in the second video is average or exceptional for 7 year olds?

I think she is exceptional.

Do you think the child in the OP is average or below average for 6 year olds?

I think she's average for six year olds.

Do you think the parents of the young girl in the OP should be ashamed of her poor performance?

I do not think the parents of the young girl should be ashamed of anything.
I'm rather surprised you would ask that. Nice try though.

I’m just trying to get a read here. Because this thread seems to be taking an ugly turn.

Yes, it is. Why are you trying to take it there, Steve?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we can't rely on belts as a standard then as informed martial artists we would be better off using another method or at least validating that with other methods.

In other words if our child black belt is the real deal. Then we would need to back that up with evidence.

Well the black belt is the standard for that school or style.

For a universal standard maybe use a headband or scarf (might get choked with that though)

So...John Doe could be a black belt in John Doe-itsu but only a green headband in martial arts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you would be hard pressed to find a non diploma mill that has ever issued a phD to anyone with an iq of 70.

while not a predictor of success... the cutoff for the American armed services is 70. There is a reason for that.
A reasonable statement, but one which seems to be irrelevant to the claim Jobo made.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My question would be "real deal" in what sense, DB? That gets us back to what a BB "should" mean.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You really seem stuck on the standardized tests in general. I was saying that the standardized tests are just a part of the application. Most And the ones you’re referencing are for undergrad degrees. Well, except the IQ test... no one uses that. Jobo was talking about graduate school.

But, just for fun, can you explain how this relates to the thread?

Saying that only people in the top 5% IQ are admitted to a PhD program is very different than saying someone with impaired cognition will be able to earn a PhD.

Yes, there are two different thoughts. Yes, my statement is different than the other one. Ask yourself, why would I make the specific statement I did. The exercise might tell you something that could easily be missed or overlooked.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A reasonable statement, but one which seems to be irrelevant to the claim Jobo made.

Do to my perception that Jobo has been trolling me, I put a filter on his comments. Would you do me the favor of paraphrasing his claim? I would appreciate it.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My question would be "real deal" in what sense, DB? That gets us back to what a BB "should" mean.
I can't speak for drop bear, but I do have a sense of child martial artists and who is the "real deal" and who is not? (and who is something in between.) My experience is the last 14 months since I came back to MA.

Real deal among higher belts (brown and black belts) does not mean a genuine badass who can presumably fight against a fit adult and win. But it does mean they can more than hold their own against kids their own size, and apply their technique. And it means the same level of mastery over the curricullum as an adult student. I have not seen a 6 year old who meets this criteria. Among 7 year olds, maybe 1 in 100 is the "real deal". Among 8 year olds, maybe also 1 in 100. Among 9 year olds, things get better and it goes up to maybe 1 in 10. The kids who stick it out to age 11 or 12 are mostly pretty good, and the ones who continue their training into their teenage years are exceptional.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The other thing that is just as bad (imo), as awarding dans to folks who havent really earned by demonstrating a dan level of skill with technique, dan level knowledge of the forms etc... is when organizations award dans for folks who clearly dont even know an inkling of the curriculum for it.

Like when the KKW gave Mr. President Obama a 7th Dan. TKD was something he dabbled in while in college. This practice just as much cheapens and disrespects those who actually did the work to earn that grade... as the former issue of the OP

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The other thing that is just as bad (imo), as awarding dans to folks who havent really earned by demonstrating a dan level of skill with technique, dan level knowledge of the forms etc... is when organizations award dans for folks who clearly dont even know an inkling of the curriculum for it.

Like when the KKW gave Mr. President Obama a 7th Dan. TKD was something he dabbled in while in college. This practice just as much cheapens and disrespects those who actually did the work to earn that grade... as the former issue of the OP
Well, I don't anticipate former president Obama opening up a chain of TKD schools in the US, but if he does, I would expect people here and else where to call him out that his honorary black belt isn't real.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
do You think the girl in the second video is average or exceptional for 7 year olds?

Do you think the parents of the young girl in the OP should be ashamed of her poor performance?

I’m just trying to get a read here. Because this thread seems to be taking an ugly turn.

. I've found that not calling out things like this when they occur implies agreement. How rude of me to point it out.

I got the same line in the military. Staff sgt was complaining about his sister dating a black dude. I told him he could be a racist, but I didn't want to hear about it. Another sgt asked me why I was making it a big deal.

Funny how rhis happens sometimes.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The 2nd girl is clearly someone who spends a very large amount of training under instructors who are meticulous.
Not only is the technique clear, crisp and proper, but the speed and timing of the whole form was orthodox. that is a higher level issue, beyond just getting the correct techniques done at the correct location in the form.

But is she a Mozart? a true child prodigy? I would be inclined to say and even believe that her gift is a patient temperament and has a drive for excellence. And that she is in an environment that has all the things necessary for her to thrive and develop to this level.

Ronda Rousey didnt just decide one day to take judo. Her parents were high level judoka. Her mother was an Olympic gold medalist.

I cite Ronda as an example of a phenomenon... martial arts practitioners who have sought excellence and strived for unrelenting improvement.... who have children.

And if those children decide to follow in the footsteps of mom/dad... they are in an unique and exceptional position.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still not actually an IQ test, which is the point.
and you have a particular definition in mind that stops that being an IQ test, all test measure intelligence to one extent or another,

what stops that being a test of intelligence and therefore an IQ test ?

I've taken and administered a considerable number of iq test and they differ massively dependent on which aspects of intelligence the test designer values, if you take 3 scores t you will most likely get three different scores, they are all however test of iq

. I did one a couple of years back which required me to do long division with pen and paper, something I'd not done in 40 years, which knocked my test score down to 90% and caused me to have a debate with the testing authority that it wasnt a fair test of IQ as it required memory, those complaints fell on dear ears,note, they insisted that it was a national test of IQ and pre existing knowledge was indeed a requirement of all IQ tests

the problem being that IQ its self is not adequately defined, as anything other that an ability to take IQ tests to a specified standard, and IQ test is only defined as a test that measures IQ. therefore they can look like anything you want and still fit under the heading of iq

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions