6 year old first dan??? whiskey tango foxtrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 5 in 50 I could have run at many times in my life. The 6 1/2, I might have managed if I'd only trained just for a mile (no distance training) for a few months. Might. Not sure even that would have gotten me there.
I forget the age cutoff but not everyone had to run the mile. I had a coworker going through at the same time who can run like a gazelle. He helped me out a lot.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I obviously do not know the exact differences but they give great weight to ACT and SAT scores. Are they not along the same lines?
Not really. Those have their own problems, but they are intended specifically to predict academic ability (ACT). GMAT and similar exams used to test prospects for graduate school are more directed at making sure they have the prerequisite knowledge for that program.

IQ is meant to be a measure of general intelligence - it's a different measure - and I'm not aware of any school of higher education that uses IQ scores for admission.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IQ is a REALLY weak predictor for success in most things. I challenge you to find a source that says you need a given IQ score to get a PhD.
it's a very strong predictor that if you have a low IQ your not getting a phd

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as I know, still the highest average money making degree combo is most any graduate level engineering degree combined with a business management bachelors. Lifetime earnings average higher than others.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Super quick edit: my statement was already said almost word for word. Next time I should read through the thread before replying.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. Those have their own problems, but they are intended specifically to predict academic ability (ACT). GMAT and similar exams used to test prospects for graduate school are more directed at making sure they have the prerequisite knowledge for that program.

IQ is meant to be a measure of general intelligence - it's a different measure - and I'm not aware of any school of higher education that uses IQ scores for admission.
all academic tests are tests of iq

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

here you go, cambridge requires an assessment test is undertaken, that measures you IQ to be able to successfully complete the course,
hers an 3xample test, let me know how you go

Are you smart enough to get into Cambridge? Take the quiz

nb scroll Down,

see I'm assuming you couldn't work that out for yourself

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I invite you to post a video of your child doing something. I’ll post a video of a child who is way better at the same thing, and then we can judge you and your child. Sounds like a fun and constructive thread to me. Think of all the things we can learn.
@dvcochran not sure if your reaction means you don’t have kids or you’re ashamed of them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I obviously do not know the exact differences but they give great weight to ACT and SAT scores. Are they not along the same lines?
No, they’re not. and also the SAT scores are used for entrance to college as an undergrad, not post grad. Also, SAT scores are part of the entrance, but far from the weightiest. Do you have experience with kids applying to college? It’s way more than test scores.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dvcochran not sure if your reaction means you don’t have kids or you’re ashamed of them.
I do not know if that was meant to be funny but it was not. We have one incredible son. Never have nor never will be ashamed of him. Why would you ever make that comment?
And yes, our son graduated college. What is your point?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but. you can learn how to take IQ tests, so IQ test are in themselves a specific field
Okay, so we're in agreement. IQ tests are a specified field that is different than SAT/ACT/MCT/GRE. Each are separate field, and they are not the same.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, they’re not. and also the SAT scores are used for entrance to college as an undergrad, not post grad. Also, SAT scores are part of the entrance, but far from the weightiest. Do you have experience with kids applying to college? It’s way more than test scores.
MA/CA * 100. I will put more stock in other standardized test, like the ACT and SAT.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IQ is a REALLY weak predictor for success in most things. I challenge you to find a source that says you need a given IQ score to get a PhD.

you would be hard pressed to find a non diploma mill that has ever issued a phD to anyone with an iq of 70.

while not a predictor of success... the cutoff for the American armed services is 70. There is a reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions