6 year old first dan??? whiskey tango foxtrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was awesome.

So....if you're the parents of the girl in the OP do you even see the difference?

Are there people who don't see the difference? What about the poor kid from the OP, would she see the difference? I know every kid I've ever trained would see and know the difference.

Well the difference is pretty obvious...

The girl in the OP is wearing a black gi and the other is wearing a white gi....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
isn't that a bit easy on the fitness.? that really shouldnt a challenge for any one under 50( who has any pretence of being fit) if , as seems to be the case on here, we want bla k belts to be considered elite, then the fitness standards need to be elite as well. not sure quite were that should be ,! top 5% , top 10% of the population by age . certainly no lower than the upper quartile, or it really does stop being elite and just gets very ordinary.

not sure an ability to memorise dance moves should be included, technique s yes, but in any order against a fully resisting partner, ie if you cant kick him in the head, you've failed your kicking exam if you do get kicked in the head, you've failed your moving out of the way exam.
Actually, some folks, even when really fit, don't run distance at any speed. When I was running 7-10 miles per day, I couldn't run a mile in 7 minutes. Never have managed that pace that I can recall. I could sprint reasonably fast (about as fast as anyone on the high school soccer team, except the track stars), and could run 10 miles at will if the hills weren't unusually steep. But a 7-minute mile? Nope. And these days I can't train distance running on a regular basis, so my mile pace is slower than it was, and probably won't ever get better than about 8 minutes again in my lifetime.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Actually, some folks, even when really fit, don't run distance at any speed. When I was running 7-10 miles per day, I couldn't run a mile in 7 minutes. Never have managed that pace that I can recall. I could sprint reasonably fast (about as fast as anyone on the high school soccer team, except the track stars), and could run 10 miles at will if the hills weren't unusually steep. But a 7-minute mile? Nope. And these days I can't train distance running on a regular basis, so my mile pace is slower than it was, and probably won't ever get better than about 8 minutes again in my lifetime.
obviously never trained hard enough, it's only half a brisk walking pace, my 55 years old sister is down to 9 mins after 4 months of training and that's an average over three miles but anyway it wasnt me who set that as the minimum standard for a black belt, and if you cant meet that youl have to hand your belt back , it's tough but I dont make the rules, but then you cant skip either, so .........

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That was awesome.

So....if you're the parents of the girl in the OP do you even see the difference?

Are there people who don't see the difference? What about the poor kid from the OP, would she see the difference? I know every kid I've ever trained would see and know the difference.
do You think the girl in the second video is average or exceptional for 7 year olds?

Do you think the child in the OP is average or below average for 6 year olds?

Do you think the parents of the young girl in the OP should be ashamed of her poor performance?

I’m just trying to get a read here. Because this thread seems to be taking an ugly turn.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, parents can be pretty blind when it comes to their own kids.
I invite you to post a video of your child doing something. I’ll post a video of a child who is way better at the same thing, and then we can judge you and your child. Sounds like a fun and constructive thread to me. Think of all the things we can learn.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

When I went through the police academy we had to run 5 miles in 50 minutes and most everyone also had to run a 6 1/2 minute mile. I really struggled to work up to the mile pace. I just do not have the correct anatomy to be a natural runner. I was only 23 but still remember the struggle. I was just out of college where I played football also. Back then I could line up and do several fast 40 or 100 yard sprints before running out of gas as long as I had a short breather in between. I used to hike a lot with no problems. But I never had the grace or rhythm or coordination, etc... to run any distance at all. Time has not helped the situation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t think they give prospective college students IQ tests.
phd students, not college students, but yes they do IQ tests here to get in to the prestigious universities just at degree level

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
obviously never trained hard enough, it's only half a brisk walking pace, my 55 years old sister is down to 9 mins after 4 months of training and that's an average over three miles but anyway it wasnt me who set that as the minimum standard for a black belt, and if you cant meet that youl have to hand your belt back , it's tough but I dont make the rules, but then you cant skip either, so .........
I trained pretty hard. I could play a full game of soccer pretty easily. I could run, climb, etc. I was just slow at distance. Some (perhaps much) of it is because I have exercise-induced asthma, which kicks in during sustained activity. The brief rests in soccer and such let me ignore it, but running distance was a different story.

The skipping rope on the other hand is ENTIRELY because I haven't trained, so there's that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need an IQ in the Top 5% to get a phd, you cant just walk in off the street and give it a go
IQ is a REALLY weak predictor for success in most things. I challenge you to find a source that says you need a given IQ score to get a PhD.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I went through the police academy we had to run 5 miles in 50 minutes and most everyone also had to run a 6 1/2 minute mile. I really struggled to work up to the mile pace. I just do not have the correct anatomy to be a natural runner. I was only 23 but still remember the struggle. I was just out of college where I played football also. Back then I could line up and do several fast 40 or 100 yard sprints before running out of gas as long as I had a short breather in between. I used to hike a lot with no problems. But I never had the grace or rhythm or coordination, etc... to run any distance at all. Time has not helped the situation.
The 5 in 50 I could have run at many times in my life. The 6 1/2, I might have managed if I'd only trained just for a mile (no distance training) for a few months. Might. Not sure even that would have gotten me there.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IQ is a REALLY weak predictor for success in most things. I challenge you to find a source that says you need a given IQ score to get a PhD.
I obviously do not know the exact differences but they give great weight to ACT and SAT scores. Are they not along the same lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.