5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some time in your journey you get past the 'this vs that' mentality. For a lot of people, that happens before first dan. For others, later. Either way, those who are past it make better martial artists because they tend to look deeper into what they themselves are doing rather than comparing themselves to others.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some time in your journey you get past the 'this vs that' mentality. For a lot of people, that happens before first dan. For others, later. Either way, those who are past it make better martial artists because they tend to look deeper into what they themselves are doing rather than comparing themselves to others.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So Lawrence Kenshins praised striking analysis/style vs style videos is just a lack of enlightment? Lawrence Kenshin

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly this a pointless discussion as THEY'RE DIFFERENT SPORTS. It's like comparing how a basketball player would do in a football match. They're different games different rules, different objectives different everything

Except of course that TaeKwonDo is also a martial art:banghead: Stop referring to it as a sport. It's bad enough as it is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Mas Oyamas Kyokushin-Kais did not fight in the Lumpini stadium with Karate gis--- (and win 2-1 btw) Nope... Didn't happen because Tez said it wouldn't.

Ooh love, getting bitchy now. I really think you need to take that grow up pill now. I assume you mean the fight that was alleged to have taken place in 54? or the 1962 one or the 1964? with karateka, you know the ones that do karate?

Shall I explain it again. I said turning.... up.... in.... a.... dobok..... looking.... to... do... Muay ..Thai. They won't let you fight Muay Thai in a dobok, the rules state quite plainly you have to wear shorts.

In case you forget.

12240065_653559418080695_4138630660087945000_n.jpg

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ooh love, getting bitchy now. I really think you need to take that grow up pill now. I assume you mean the fight that was alleged to have taken place in 54? or the 1962 one or the 1964? with karateka, you know the ones that do karate?

Shall I explain it again. I said turning.... up.... in.... a.... dobok..... looking.... to... do... Muay ..Thai. They won't let you fight Muay Thai in a dobok, the rules state quite plainly you have to wear shorts.

In case you forget.

View attachment 21001

Lol, that is not what you wrote. You're backpedaling. Alleged? You can watch some of the matches on Youtube in poor quality. It's okey to admit that you did not know that people were allowed to fight in the Lumpine stadium in traditional martial arts gis and that challenge matches took place. It's also okey to admit that you did not know that Thairules also allowed rival striking techniques.

Stop being so proud.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are the one who referred to the different rules, which refers to the sports.

I was contrasting two two martial arts fought under some type of rule to make it a technique match-up, not just some brawl on the street. And Thairules are excellent striking rules IMO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was contrasting two two martial arts fought under some type of rule to make it a technique match-up, not just some brawl on the street. And Thairules are excellent striking rules IMO.
None of that has anything to do with the fact that you brought in the two rulesets, which is a reference to the two sporting aspects. If we ignore the TKD rules (so we're not referring to sport TKD), then you also have to remove some of the points you made in your OP, because they reference the rules.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
None of that has anything to do with the fact that you brought in the two rulesets, which is a reference to the two sporting aspects. If we ignore the TKD rules (so we're not referring to sport TKD), then you also have to remove some of the points you made in your OP, because they reference the rules.

Because of how TKD is universally trained. I also pointed out how some of those points were possible to be modified (and would be in the event of preperation ahead of a challenge match) but that it wouldn't change the outcome IMO.

The fundamental flaw in my opinion is in the footwork. But I frankly don't think TKD kicking makes much sense without it, thus my statement that it is "incompatible" with a thairuleset against a thaifighter.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
And btw, the WTF drove Taekwondo footwork and other things to a higher level in TKD competition. It is not without its benefits. But I don't believe in it in the long run under the conditions mentioned. Just my opinion.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Except of course that TaeKwonDo is also a martial art:banghead: Stop referring to it as a sport. It's bad enough as it is.
If you are talking about competition and rules and strategies and winners and losers then you're talking about a sport

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then why don't you go do Muay Thai get some real experience instead of making up rubbish to try and sound clever

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Because of how TKD is universally trained. I also pointed out how some of those points were possible to be modified (and would be in the event of preperation ahead of a challenge match) but that it wouldn't change the outcome IMO.

The fundamental flaw in my opinion is in the footwork. But I frankly don't think TKD kicking makes much sense without it, thus my statement that it is "incompatible" with a thairuleset against a thaifighter.

If you think Taekwondo is "universally" trained a certain way, you really need to get out of the box you're in and open your eyes.

On a side note, I consider footwork as learned for WTF rules sparring to be as important, if not more so, than kicking techniques. It may not be best suited for a MT ring, but it's not supposed to be, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop being so proud.

You are funny! You say something as if it's a fact then provide no evidence, you've done that a lot of times. In regard to the karate at Lumpinee ( not TKD you should note) you again say something but don't tell us what you are meaning. You have to understand we can't get into your head and fish out what precisely you are meaning. You then say 'oh there's videos' well post up what you are talking about, I know nothing about TKD v Muay Thai at the Lumpinee. If there is something don't allude to it prove it. If you say it's karate then tell us times, dates and videos. You seem to think being vague is a virtue, you tell us 'lots of people know this', 'many people do that', 'it's well know that...' yet that's all it is.

The fundamental flaw in my opinion is in the footwork.

Arrogance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

See TKD definitely works with standard footwork. When TKD guys move in to other combat sports they throw kicks fine.

Kyukoshin is almost sorta kind of TKD with Orthodox footwork.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you think Taekwondo is "universally" trained a certain way, you really need to get out of the box you're in and open your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with that. Widely is perhaps a better word.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kyukoshin is almost sorta kind of TKD with Orthodox footwork.

Kyokushin sparring tactics is about as foreign to TKD as it can get. You couldn't have picked a better one;)

TKDoins aren't taught to kick with the shin, for starters.:D That's about as fundamental difference in kicking as it can get without doing capoera!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kyokushin sparring tactics is about as foreign to TKD as it can get. You couldn't have picked a better one;)

TKDoins aren't taught to kick with the shin, for starters.:D That's about as fundamental difference in kicking as it can get without doing capoera!

So TKD don't do that forward knee kick thing. Rather than the Thai swinging kick?

Latest Discussions