5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For god sake...you do taekwondo so basically your trashing your own style. You don't do Muay Thai so stop pretending you know about Muay Thai. You don't do boxing so stop pretending to know about boxing, you don't know Jiu Jitsu so stop pretending you know Jiu Jitsu.

Basically shut up making up stupid assumptions and presenting them as fact when you actually have 0 idea what you're talking about

Calm down. Sheesh.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have already cleared up that TKD fighters can do whatever technique they want, within a kick, box, knee, elbow, rule set. How ever you slice and dice it, there is no excuse if they fail but their own shortcommings. They are not handicapped in anway more than the Thaidude
Read this slowly so maybe it'll sink in.....they....are....different....sports....taekwondo guys train for different reasons and intensities than Muay Thai fighters it's a fact. Taekwondo have their own rule sets and tactics and Muay Thai has there's so of course Muay Thai fighters will win in their own rule setting.

Look at mcgregor and mayweather perfect example mcgregor is great at his rules but when he moved over to boxing he got beat fairly easily because it's not his main sport.

Why am I even still answering this rubbish

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not true. You can throw TKD roundhouse kicks, sidekicks, spinning backicks etc and still get awarded points.

Muay Thai isn't about points though, it's full contact going for a knock out, may not always get it but that's the aim.

There is definitely the ability to cross over.

Cross over yes but with training and knowledge of the rules.

I have already cleared up that TKD fighters can do whatever technique they want, within a kick, box, knee, elbow, rule set. How ever you slice and dice it, there is no excuse if they fail but their own shortcommings. They are not restricted in anway more than the Thaidude

You are disrespecting your own style, for goodness sake stop training in it if it bothers you that much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="drop bear, post: 1862787, member: 32080"

There is definitely the ability to cross over. I mean I accept they are different games.

That was not the discussion. The discussion was using a TKD system - footwork, kicks, punches, knees, elbows, throws, against A Muay Thai system.[/QUOTE]
Actually, you included training for TKD competition rules in your original situation. That's not the system, but the competition training. Take that away (which likely also alters the kicks and stability issues), and some things change.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because the problems exist if you go in the opposite direction. If a Muay Thai fighter entered a TKD competition, he'd be at a disadvantage - he's trained for the wrong rules.

Now, I think your point was more about them meeting in an MMA setting (think early MMA, where many people still brought mostly single-style skill sets).

I think you misunderstood my point. TaeKwondo can use it's own additional tools in their sparring and train for a muay thai clinch, without it making any difference, because their failure will be in their footwork/kicking which is ingrained in the system due to the nature of the kicks. And different footwork would not suit TaeKwonDo kicks, that are intended to be snappy and retractable.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai isn't about points though, it's full contact going for a knock out, may not always get it but that's the aim.

Makes no difference. You either knock the guy out or win on points. Either way, TKD corresponding techniques are allowed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start a thread...why Judo falls down in fencing competitions............ or why toe wrestling doesn't work in boxing bouts. Why karate doesn't work in badminton?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my point. TaeKwondo can use it's own additional tools in their sparring and train for a muay thai clinch, without it making any difference, because their failure will be in their footwork/kicking which is ingrained in the system due to the nature of the kicks. And different footwork would not suit TaeKwonDo kicks, that are intended to be snappy and retractable.
Except that training for the context should (with a good trainer) change things to better suit that context. You're assuming it's impossible to adjust these elements in TKD. I find the likelihood of that vanishingly small.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes no difference. You either knock the guy out or win on points. Either way, TKD corresponding techniques are allowed.

They write letters to each other?

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to start a thread...why Judo falls down in fencing competitions............ or why toe wrestling doesn't work in boxing bouts. Why karate doesn't work in badminton?
Why karate doesn't work in badminton? That's easy because I tested the question and I got arrested before the end of the match so I think I lost

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score

That analogy fails since they are distinct types of fighting. I am comparing two styles of striking with the same tools.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
They write letters to each other?

You do know that corresponding has more than one meaning?

corresponding

adjective
  1. analogous or equivalent in character, form, or function; comparable.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Listen you're trashing taekwondo so much and that's your style..that's a new one I've not heard before. Why on earth are you doing it if you think it's so bad

Because I don't train TKD for ring fighting. and most students who are objective about the subject agree.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know that corresponding has more than one meaning?

corresponding

adjective
  1. analogous or equivalent in character, form, or function; comparable.

Have you got a sense of humour?

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
That analogy fails since they are distinct types of fighting. I am comparing two styles of striking with the same tools.
No they're not....there's no 360 degree spinning kicks in Muay Thai, there's no flying knees in taekwondo, there's no back fists in Muay Thai there's so many differences in the 2 styles it's like saying football and basketball are the same because they use balls and have teams

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Even WTF rules that allow full contact break after making contact.
That's simply not true. WTF sparring is continuous. The judges award points by pressing buttons while the match continues. It is only stopped for a knock-down or a penalty. OK, sometimes it is stopped to award bonus points, due to recent changes. It was much easier to judge when it was 1 point for body contact and 2 points for head contact. But, anyway, WTF sparring is not point sparring.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I don't train TKD for ring fighting. and most students who are objective about the subject agree

You know most martial arts students in the whole world! Wow. You are a legend in your own lunchtime!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Snappy is not that big an issue. for example the question mark kick still knocks guys out. Snappy still works.

I mean I probably wouldn't stand side on and bounce. But otherwise the concepts are still kind of sound.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's simply not true. WTF sparring is continuous. .

Perhaps in theory, but I*ve NEVER witnessed a dude continously clubbing down another fighter. Now why that is, you would have to ask someone who is more deeply involved in the sport.

Latest Discussions