5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was interested how many would agree. Now again, for those claiming that no style is inferior. Reference me a single source of complaint directed towards Muay Thai as ineffective, a waste of time etc.

Just one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on your objectives. I have no ambitions and it keeps me in shape.

I would suggest you want to be able to have boasting rights so you can say you have a martial arts black belt for very little effort on your part. We have no way of knowing whether what you say about your school and instructors is correct, but it doesn't reflect well on you at all that you are willing to slag off your instructors, school and style while training for what you say is an easy black belt. There is a definite lack of integrity when you are willing to defame your school etc just for a black belt to put around your waist.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was interested how many would agree. Now again, for those claiming that no style is inferior. Reference me a single source of complaint directed towards Muay Thai as ineffective, a waste of time etc.

Just one.

>shakes head< because you really haven't been reading what people write have you?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reference me a single source of complaint directed towards Muay Thai as ineffective, a waste of time etc.

The only source I've been able to find are blowhard Internet warriors on various martial arts forums -- no reputable sources.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only source I've been able to find are blowhard Internet warriors on various martial arts forums -- no reputable sources.

I have never heard of a disgruntled former Muay Thai student lamenting Muay Thai as weak, inneffective, stupid, outdated, silly, waste of time, "sucky". Superlatives that are not difficult to find about TaeKwonDo.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of a disgruntled former Muay Thai student lamenting Muay Thai as weak, inneffective, stupid, outdated, silly, waste of time, "sucky". Superlatives that are not difficult to find about TaeKwonDo.

As others have already pointed out, that could be due in part to the fact that there are so many more taekwondo schools than there are muay thai schools. You're going to hear less griping if there are fewer students.

Martial-Arts-Indutry-768x456.jpg

But as one example, here's a guy who thinks muay thai has some issues when it comes to street fights:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Muay-Thai-considered-a-good-martial-art-for-street-fighting

"The average streetfight lasts 30-60 seconds so you won't have the time to break someone down with leg kicks - a basic Muay Thai strategy - the way you would if you were fighting in the ring."

But of course the Internet is full of people saying "This martial arts is ineffective..." and "That martial art sucks..." It doesn't mean much. I agree with the philosophy: just go train.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have already pointed out, that could be due in part to the fact that there are so many more taekwondo schools than there are muay thai schools. You're going to hear less griping if there are fewer students.

Martial-Arts-Indutry-768x456.jpg

But as one example, here's a guy who thinks muay thai has some issues when it comes to street fights:

https://www.quora.com/Is-Muay-Thai-considered-a-good-martial-art-for-street-fighting

"The average streetfight lasts 30-60 seconds so you won't have the time to break someone down with leg kicks - a basic Muay Thai strategy - the way you would if you were fighting in the ring."

Lol, that was a very mild criticism, which is applicable to any martial art. Show me a source proclaiming: "Muay Thai sucks" from a former student.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, MMA gyms are the most prevalent these days? That's sad. Who want's to be a jack of all trades:cool:

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning how to fight.

But Axiom, learning how to fight for what?
  • A military combat situation where you're allowed to just go up and stab and punch throats in the dark?
  • A self-defense situation where 3 wannabe gang members come up behind you in the dark with knives as part of their gang initiation?
  • A pissing contest between two overly-macho drunk assholes outside a club?
Previously you answered this question by saying that by "fight" you meant a "respectful street fight" -- but honestly, that's the least interesting (or likely) scenario that I can imagine, so I don't know why you even care about the answer. You're asking which martial art would be the most effective in the kinds of fights that don't matter at all? Shouldn't you be asking which martial art would be most effective against the three armed gang members? Or which martial art would be most useful in a combat setting? It's like you're asking which martial art is most effective against unicorns: (a) Why do you care. And (b) How would you ever prove your point?

That having been said, I do happen to know for a fact that taekwondo is the most effective martial art against unicorns.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, MMA gyms are the most prevalent these days? That's sad. Who want's to be a jack of all trades:cool:
What's so sad about covering a wide range of situations? There are arts that cover the same territory as MMA training (none I've seen do it as well).

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, that was a very mild criticism, which is applicable to any martial art. Show me a source proclaiming: "Muay Thai sucks" from a former student.

So you're asking that we find...what...a blog post or forum post from a former muay thai student where he or she says that muay thai sucks? A random posting on the internet from somebody you don't know would convince you of what exactly?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
But Axiom, learning how to fight for what?
  • A military combat situation where you're allowed to just go up and stab and punch throats in the dark?
  • A self-defense situation where 3 wannabe gang members come up behind you in the dark with knives as part of their gang initiation?
  • A pissing contest between two overly-macho drunk assholes outside a club?
Previously you answered this question by saying that by "fight" you meant a "respectful street fight" -- but honestly, that's the least interesting (or likely) scenario that I can imagine, so I don't know why you even care about the answer. You're asking which martial art would be the most effective in the kinds of fights that don't matter at all? Shouldn't you be asking which martial art would be most effective against the three armed gang members? Or which martial art would be most useful in a combat setting? It's like you're asking which martial art is most effective against unicorns: (a) Why do you care. And (b) How would you ever prove your point?

That having been said, I do happen to know for a fact that taekwondo is the most effective martial art against unicorns.

A good gym will cover your three points as good as humanly possible. There is no self defence school that saves you from being stabbed by a gang.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
So you're asking that we find...what...a blog post or forum post from a former muay thai student where he or she says that muay thai sucks? A random posting on the internet from somebody you don't know would convince you of what exactly?

Yes, there aren't even trolls claiming Muay Thai sucks, because nobody would take them seriously.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A good gym will cover your three points as good as humanly possible. There is no self defence school that saves you from being stabbed by a gang.

I disagree. Good self defense schools invariably teach awareness of your surroundings, avoidance, de-escalation, and escape, which are the most important parts of self-defense. I think you're confusing "fight" with "self defense".

Latest Discussions