3 chokes every woman should know.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This one is currently making the rounds on Facebook, and my gf shared it with me because she wanted me to show her the chokes when I got back into town. While I have my personal issues with the Torrance boys, I really enjoyed this video. I think its very important for women to know how to choke someone out if they are attacked, and this video shows 3 very effective chokes that just about any woman can do. I especially enjoyed the modified collar choke utilizing the t-shirt, and the fact that they utilized a small enclosed space where such an attack could likely take place.

Anyway, feel free to comment on the video.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i always thought, this stuff is important in womens self-defense courses.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah the t shirt is very schoolyard.

Needs to add a get up to that sequence.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why doesn't she try to bite him in the ear or poke the eyes?
His ear is right next to her face. I'd rather bite the ear off this is probably more effective than doing such a complicated choke.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's really not complicated. Things seem complicated when you're not trained. Start training dude.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does this stuff really work as easily as in the video? I mean this is exactly the same issue as with any self defense video.
In the video it looks fool proof but I'd not rely on it working. For example the guy could just hit her against the head when he notices
he's being choked with his own shirt. These are things you cannot simulate cause the guy in the video just plays along.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are no guarantees. But the better you are trained, the better your chances of surviving an attack.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really have my doubts that an untrained, non athletic woman can even do this leg grab effectively. He might simply shake her off.
I think it's a bit risky to make videos like this one. Women may just watch this and get a false sense of security.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really have my doubts that an untrained, non athletic woman can even do this leg grab effectively. He might simply shake her off.
I think it's a bit risky to make videos like this one. Women may just watch this and get a false sense of security.
Untrained people can't do much effectively. But if someone trains the technique enough it can be quite effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is why you do the get up. If he shakes her off she has space to move.

Also those choke are the best position to bite from. So if you if you want to be dangerous at biting you are still better off training those chokes.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why doesn't she try to bite him in the ear or poke the eyes?
His ear is right next to her face. I'd rather bite the ear off this is probably more effective than doing such a complicated choke.

How in the world is a bite more effective than a choke? Yeah, the pain may startle them, but that isn't going to end the fight. There's plenty of examples of people getting their ears bitten and eyes poked and still continuing to assault people.

Choking the assailant unconscious ends the confrontation and allows the victim to escape.

Save your bites and eye pokes for when the perp is choked out.

As for complexity, it isn't complex once you train it. Getting to Eve's level of skill takes time and practice.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for complexity, it isn't complex once you train it. Getting to Eve's level of skill takes time and practice.
This is the thing.
It 'Has' to be trained...And it takes 'time in training and practice' to get to the level of skill need to use it.
Same for most all physical one on one self defensive actions.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That guillotine choke is the first one I learned and the first one I teach. I find that the more wiry a person is, the easier they pick it up and eventually become proficient with it. I love that choke.

The t-shirt choke - I prefer a different collar choke from the bottom. I was never told a name for it and was never able to find it on youtube (probably because I don't know the name) Maybe I can explain it.

From guard - pull them with your legs so they post, wrapping your left arm around their right arm to control it. Your left hand goes to their left collar (near their neck area) your hand is palm towards you, knuckles toward them. With your right hand you reach past your grip on their collar (by the back of their neck) In self defense we usually do this by slapping upside of the head, then grabbing the back collar.

Now you loop your right arm over their head - if the opportunity is there. Otherwise, you push your forearm against the side of their head/neck (their left side) like you're trying to bend their neck to their right - then give them "an out" so you can loop your arm over.

You know what comes from there.

Why I prefer it is because it works against any kind of clothing. The one shown in the video is great against t-shirts and the like, but not against long coats, winter coats and thick leather jackets. (I live in New England) We've worked it against any and every kind of clothing. Suits, tuxes, raincoat, leathers, dress shirts, big winter parkers. The only thing it sometimes doesn't work with is if someone has an old t-shirt with the t-shirt collar torn off (Think New York Italian, circa 1980's) sometimes the shirt just rips - in which case you go to something else. Including the fashion police.

I know a decent Jits guy can counter. But I've pulled it off a few times against blue belts in class.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hanzou, we have seen over and over again in the cage when a trained MMA fighter takes a decent eye poke that they are in a definite bad way. Eye pokes and bites can work just fine. Just like the Chokes demonstrated in the video work excellently if applied correctly. Of course all of them might not work as well. People just need to train and get better to give themselves a chance in a moment of violence!

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? Yuki Nakai was blinded by an eye gauge and he went on to win his match. Mike Tyson bit Holyfield in the ears multiple times. All it did was piss Holyfield off. He was fully capable of continuing to fight after the bites occurred.

In either case, Kerchop's argument was that biting and eye guaging are more effective at stopping an assailant than chokes. That was the part I took issue with.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last UFC I remember that had an eye gouge someone took a finger strike and he was done. I forget the fighter but he curled up in a fetal position. So don't count out an eye poke or a bite. A bite to the side of the neck would be just plain nasty an ear maybe not so much. Now, as to the effectiveness of chokes. We both know they work very, very well!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last UFC I remember that had an eye gouge someone took a finger strike and he was done. I forget the fighter but he curled up in a fetal position. So don't count out an eye poke or a bite. A bite to the side of the neck would be just plain nasty an ear maybe not so much. Now, as to the effectiveness of chokes. We both know they work very, very well!
Very true Brian. Eye pokes and Biting can be devastating to the person on the receiving end. Paul Vunak is big on biting techniques because it works when you are in a bad situation on the ground.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would never support biting for self defense, for a simple reason. I don't believe that most people are able to willingly bite through another person's skin, even in self defense, and think they would be more willing to choke or punch the other person.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzou, we have seen over and over again in the cage when a trained MMA fighter takes a decent eye poke that they are in a definite bad way. Eye pokes and bites can work just fine. Just like the Chokes demonstrated in the video work excellently if applied correctly. Of course all of them might not work as well. People just need to train and get better to give themselves a chance in a moment of violence!

I am not paying a martial arts expert for "bite them" i could have come up with that. A ten year old could come up with bite them or poke their eye. (Trust me they are bite scratch and poking machines)

Seriously after ten years of eye poking you will be about as good as if you had spent ten minutes. The trick with applying a move is to be able to fix a position that you can eye poke or bite. That is what takes the training,the expert advice and where you should be putting your faith and money.

So to eye poke or bite from that position in the most effective manner you would need to train the choke not the bite.

And the same with eye pokes. The better eye poker is the better striker standing and grappler on the deck.

And look I have kudo masks and boxers who have never trained eye pokes. So I can actually test that.

Latest Discussions