3 chokes every woman should know.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would never support biting for self defense, for a simple reason. I don't believe that most people are able to willingly bite through another person's skin, even in self defense, and think they would be more willing to choke or punch the other person.
That's possibly true. I've never had to do it. I've also never had to shoot someone. Probably because I've never been in a bad enough situation. But there is no doubt in my mind that I would do anything I had to do to get out of a bad situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very true Brian. Eye pokes and Biting can be devastating to the person on the receiving end. Paul Vunak is big on biting techniques because it works when you are in a bad situation on the ground.

He is big in using jits to do it as well.

(I would have stayed in side with that fat guy and just not get swept)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drop Bear I would agree that these are quickly picked up skills ie. biting, eye poking. I would also agree that the better striker and grapplers could execute these techniques very effectively. What I don't agree with is anyone saying they are not effective. They are brutally effective. As Tames D mentioned look at some of Paul Vunaks videos on kino mutai or biting. Very effective stuff. Scary if as a grappler you realize how open you leave yourself some times. Food for thought!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's possibly true. I've never had to do it. I've also never had to shoot someone. Probably because I've never been in a bad enough situation. But there is no doubt in my mind that I would do anything I had to do to get out of a bad situation.
I have never had to either. I'm fairly confident that I could, due to my own personality and things I've done for myself, but I can't say for certain. Regardless, I think it would be much tougher for the average person then choking someone. No evidence for that, but to me it's something that would require more conviction.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last UFC I remember that had an eye gouge someone took a finger strike and he was done. I forget the fighter but he curled up in a fetal position. So don't count out an eye poke or a bite. A bite to the side of the neck would be just plain nasty an ear maybe not so much. Now, as to the effectiveness of chokes. We both know they work very, very well!

I'm not counting them out, or saying that they're ineffective. I'm saying that on the grand scale of techniques they're not as effective as the guard or chokes. If someone has limited training time, are we really going to use it teaching them biting or poking techniques that can never be trained at full strength, or should we use it teaching the guard and chokes?

I know what I'm spending time on, and it isn't learning how to imitate Dracula. People have different levels of pain tolerance, but everyone needs oxygen to their brains.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yet, eye gouges and biting can be taught so quickly and learned so easily. Faster than learning the guard or chokes. However, personally I do not see it as a chose one or the other. Why not train them all and more? Why not have the option of utilizing what you need in that moment and if it is a choke then do it. If it is an eye gouge or bite then so be it. I don't believe in training to be limited. If I need to utilize a firearm or blade I am highly proficient, just like if I need to grapple, strike, trap, lock, kick, etc. Don't limit yourself!

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yet, eye gouges and biting can be taught so quickly and learned so easily. Faster than learning the guard or chokes. However, personally I do not see it as a chose one or the other. Why not train them all and more? Why not have the option of utilizing what you need in that moment and if it is a choke then do it. If it is an eye gouge or bite then so be it. I don't believe in training to be limited. If I need to utilize a firearm or blade I am highly proficient, just like if I need to grapple, strike, trap, lock, kick, etc. Don't limit yourself!

Yeah, and they're also less reliable.

Why not train them all? Because training time is limited. You spend a 100 hours practicing how to bite someone? It's better to spend 100 hours learning guard and chokes. Go with what's more reliable, not schoolyard tricks with dubious results that will only up the level of violence.

I got no problem with blade and gun training btw. ;)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, and they're also less reliable.

Why not train them all? Because training time is limited. You spend a 100 hours practicing how to bite someone? It's better to spend 100 hours learning guard and chokes. Go with what's more reliable, not schoolyard tricks with dubious results that will only up the level of violence.

I got no problem with blade and gun training btw. ;)
Who's talking about spending 100's of hours on Kino Mutai?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Training is all about limiting yourself. You take tools away to train other tools.

Or I would just take a gun to training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That guillotine choke is the first one I learned and the first one I teach. I find that the more wiry a person is, the easier they pick it up and eventually become proficient with it. I love that choke.

The t-shirt choke - I prefer a different collar choke from the bottom. I was never told a name for it and was never able to find it on youtube (probably because I don't know the name) Maybe I can explain it.

From guard - pull them with your legs so they post, wrapping your left arm around their right arm to control it. Your left hand goes to their left collar (near their neck area) your hand is palm towards you, knuckles toward them. With your right hand you reach past your grip on their collar (by the back of their neck) In self defense we usually do this by slapping upside of the head, then grabbing the back collar.

Now you loop your right arm over their head - if the opportunity is there. Otherwise, you push your forearm against the side of their head/neck (their left side) like you're trying to bend their neck to their right - then give them "an out" so you can loop your arm over.

You know what comes from there.

Why I prefer it is because it works against any kind of clothing. The one shown in the video is great against t-shirts and the like, but not against long coats, winter coats and thick leather jackets. (I live in New England) We've worked it against any and every kind of clothing. Suits, tuxes, raincoat, leathers, dress shirts, big winter parkers. The only thing it sometimes doesn't work with is if someone has an old t-shirt with the t-shirt collar torn off (Think New York Italian, circa 1980's) sometimes the shirt just rips - in which case you go to something else. Including the fashion police.

I know a decent Jits guy can counter. But I've pulled it off a few times against blue belts in class.
if I understand your description correctly, that's a pretty common setup for a cross collar choke. it's sneaky. I like to use it when I can break the guys posture slip the hand around as I let him post up. I'm sure there's a video out there somewhere. will try to find one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if I understand your description correctly, that's a pretty common setup for a cross collar choke. it's sneaky. I like to use it when I can break the guys posture slip the hand around as I let him post up. I'm sure there's a video out there somewhere. will try to find one.

That would be great, Steve, I appreciate it, never seen it online, want to see if it's the same as I was taught.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why doesn't she try to bite him in the ear or poke the eyes?
His ear is right next to her face. I'd rather bite the ear off this is probably more effective than doing such a complicated choke.

I see 5-year old kids doing chokes like that on a regular basis. Of course, as with any martial arts skill, it needs to be practiced repeatedly, drill, and tested against a resisting opponent.

If you are a woman facing a possible sexual assault, you have to consider what happens if the magical eye gouge or ear bite doesn't work, or it does, but not enough to remove the threat. 5-10 seconds to unconsciousness is better in many cases than a really pissed off dude who is on top of you, and starts punching you in the face.

Eye gouges and bites are not magical techniques. I am not saying that they cannot be effective depending on the situation, but they are not a skeleton key either. I could particularly see them being useful in a self-defense situation for the purposes of creating the space or time to allow a choke to be applied, a weapon to be accessed, etc. But don't count of them being fight-enders, because they might not be. A drugged up or drunk guy might not feel the bit or eye poke that much, but they can still be choked unconscious.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think its very important for women to know how to choke someone out if they are attacked, ... feel free to comment on the video.
The technique is only the 50%. The other 50% is the ability. IMO, you have to develop your arm strength to make your choke work. Unfortunately, the ability training is painful and tedious. Not everybody are willing to spend their training time to develop it.

If you can hang on the pole (or street sign) as long as you can. Repeat it 10 times daily, after 3 years, you will get a "strong choke". Until then, your choke may not be strong enough to work on your opponent. A weak choke can only make your opponent to be mad at you and want to hurt you more.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The technique is only the 50%. The other 50% is the ability. IMO, you have to develop your arm strength to make your choke work. Unfortunately, the ability training is painful and tedious. Not everybody are willing to spend their training time to develop it.

If you can hang on the pole (or street sign) as long as you can. Repeat it 10 times daily, after 3 years, you will get a "strong choke". Until then, your choke may not be strong enough to work on your opponent. A weak choke can only make your opponent to be mad at you and want to hurt you more.

I respectfully disagree. My wife is 130 pounds and although in shape, doesn't really have strong arms, at least as you and I would think of strong arms. But her technique is good. She's choked out more people than I have, not to a tap, but to a nap. And I know many others that fit that bill as well. I'm a stick man in his sixties with pipe cleaner arms, but if I get position, bro, it's over, regardless of how big, how strong or how crazy Rip Van Winkle thinks he is.

Of course, strong arms never do go to waste with strong technique.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. My wife is 130 pounds and although in shape, doesn't really have strong arms, at least as you and I would think of strong arms. But her technique is good. She's choked out more people than I have, not to a tap, but to a nap. And I know many others that fit that bill as well. I'm a stick man in his sixties with pipe cleaner arms, but if I get position, bro, it's over, regardless of how big, how strong or how crazy Rip Van Winkle thinks he is.

Of course, strong arms never do go to waste with strong technique.

Agreed. Strength is always a plus, so if one can train to get stronger, that is only going to help. However, one can put on a pretty good choke without much in the way of strength.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. Strength is always a plus, so if one can train to get stronger, that is only going to help. However, one can put on a pretty good choke without much in the way of strength.
I'd say position is far more important than arm strength. My 3 year old son has enough power in his arms to put me to sleep if I was unable to move. It only takes a few seconds of the technique is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd say position is far more important than arm strength. My 3 year old son has enough power in his arms to put me to sleep if I was unable to move. It only takes a few seconds of the technique is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good technique can help to overcome strength, of course, particularly against an unskilled person. The second part of your statement is important "if I was unable to move". Strength can overcome technique as well if the disparity is high enough between persons. Pretty hard to get a choke when you can't get, or hold, the position. They have weight classes in combative sports for a reason.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good technique can help to overcome strength, of course, particularly against an unskilled person. The second part of your statement is important "if I was unable to move". Strength can overcome technique as well if the disparity is high enough between persons. Pretty hard to get a choke when you can't get, or hold, the position. They have weight classes in combative sports for a reason.
Yep. Superior strength is very helpful (although not necessary) in getting to the choke position to start with. Once a choke is properly locked in, it takes very little strength to finish.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does this stuff really work as easily as in the video? I mean this is exactly the same issue as with any self defense video.
In the video it looks fool proof but I'd not rely on it working. For example the guy could just hit her against the head when he notices
he's being choked with his own shirt. These are things you cannot simulate cause the guy in the video just plays along.

A properly applied choke will make you pass out in a matter of seconds (with permanent brain damage and death with not much longer being held after you passing out). This is why you see him tapping as soon as she sets it in. I've been choked out and joint locked by girls 70+ lbs lighter than me, with me resisting, and I have training. Eve (the girl in this video who is last I checked a BJJ blue belt but probably a purple by now or near it) could dismantle you and choke you out without you being able to do anything about it. Training makes all the difference.

Latest Discussions