3 chokes every woman should know.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is it just about every time someone posts something along these lines, someone's got to say "why don't you just bite/eye gouge?"

How about you bite the ear off while you're choking them out? While we're at it, makes sure a foot or knee is firmly planted into the testicles during the choke. And have a gun within arm's reach to pistol whip; if that fails pull the trigger.

Oh, and it's the victim's fault because she shouldn't have been in the situation to begin with; she should have known her surroundings.

Am I the only one tired of the ridiculousness?

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one tired of the ridiculousness?

No, you aren't.

Eye gouges, bites, etc. can be effective techniques depending on the situation, but as I noted earlier, they are no skeleton key, and they are not fool proof, and they are not necessarily fight-enders. In fact, if someone tries them and they don't work, it could go bad quickly.

Say you are a 120 lb woman, and you eye gouge your 200 lb would be rapist, and instead of driving him away, it pisses him off to the point that, rather than just hold you down and rape you, he beats you senseless before raping you anyway.

An eye gouge or a bite, to my mind, is something which could allow you to space or time to apply a technique that is going to end things, such as the chokes shown in the video at the beginning of this thread, getting access to a weapon. Or, it could simply give you time to run away if you are not in an enclosed space.

To be fair, there are many things that women can and should do to avoid such situations before they even start, but that was not the point of Rener and Eve's video.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb and agree in general - a woman is going to be slammed in that car,. It takes a general level of "toughness" that some women might have naturally - or would get by training a long while BJJ or MMA .

Its not enough to just learn a choke but to role and spar a bit roughly have the wind or snot hit out of you - with a guy who outweighs you by 50lbs or more and keep going for it.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb and agree in general - a woman is going to be slammed in that car,. It takes a general level of "toughness" that some women might have naturally - or would get by training a long while BJJ or MMA .

Its not enough to just learn a choke but to role and spar a bit roughly have the wind or snot hit out of you - with a guy who outweighs you by 50lbs or more and keep going for it.

Frankly, many women in MA don't have that level of toughness. That's why they stick to stuff like TKD and karate.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, many women in MA don't have that level of toughness. That's why they stick to stuff like TKD and karate.

Last night in class we had drills where your mounted and your opponent with 16 oz gloves just rained down punches (20% power) - while you tried to throw them off you. It was one thing to just learn shrimp/leg hook/arm lock/hip thrust while the person just sat there - but raining down punches and you are trying to cover your face?

Its a challenge mentally and emotionally - for any gender. Scary stuff.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, there are many things that women can and should do to avoid such situations before they even start, but that was not the point of Rener and Eve's video.

Much to agree with in your post. Please share/discuss these things re: avoidance,, w/stipulation that women/girls will most likely be with a person from 'inside the circle of trust' (A. Vachss and G. DeBecker). Discuss re: grooming behavior and progressive intrusion.
thank you, A

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night in class we had drills where your mounted and your opponent with 16 oz gloves just rained down punches (20% power) - while you tried to throw them off you. It was one thing to just learn shrimp/leg hook/arm lock/hip thrust while the person just sat there - but raining down punches and you are trying to cover your face?

Its a challenge mentally and emotionally - for any gender. Scary stuff.

It is very eady to get comfortable on the bottom just rolling. Punches spice that up a bit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't know, kind of a broad brush you're painting with, (as I teach Karate) all my women box, not boxercise, box. Not with each other, with men. They roll and they kickbox. As for level of toughness, some do, some don't. But if you bring them along right, they're just fine. But you have to watch their attitude when they're empowered with fighting skills. I will admit, though, they're usually more comfortable rolling than sparring.

One thing I've noticed about women sparring...they're such head hunters. Way more then men.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know some ladies in karate that are tougher than a coffin nail. And I'm not talking about just taking a hit nor being dojo tough.

I've been around plenty of male wrestlers who's toughness didn't leave the mat.

Haven't been around enough BJJ men nor women to have an honest opinion.

What have I seen regarding toughness on and off the floor? Same as the rest of society as a whole - there's the ridiculously tough, the ridiculously weak, and everything in between across the arts. And there's no shortage of people who are tough when in comfortable surroundings (such as a dojo) yet lose all confidence once they walk outside that comfort zone. Same exact thing can be said for non martial artists.

Reminds me of what Bas Rutten said about some dojo warriors who train at his gym; he's got some phenomenal fighters there, but once they get to competition, it's like they're a completely different person. They easily fold under the pressure.

You either have it or you don't. All the training in the world may help a little, but I really question how much, even with the best and most realistic training.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind, when I say "tough" there's different levels of tough. The bottom line is that many women (and frankly some men) aren't into having big sweaty guys laying on top of them while training. It doesn't help that the guard resembles missionary position.

Also when you roll with a woman, your hands end up in the naughty parts by accident on a fairly consistent basis. Not to be crass, but I've probably felt more boobs than the average man because of Bjj. I've also had plenty of butts in my face from both sexes throughout my Bjj career. There's simply no way to avoid that kind of contact, and it honestly can make many people feel very uncomfortable.

On the flip side, in arts like karate and TKD, the contact can be pretty minimal in comparison.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind, when I say "tough" there's different levels of tough. The bottom line is that many women (and frankly some men) aren't into having big sweaty guys laying on top of them while training. It doesn't help that the guard resembles missionary position.

Also when you roll with a woman, your hands end up in the naughty parts by accident on a fairly consistent basis. Not to be crass, but I've probably felt more boobs than the average man because of Bjj. I've also had plenty of butts in my face from both sexes throughout my Bjj career. There's simply no way to avoid that kind of contact, and it honestly can make many people feel very uncomfortable.

On the flip side, in arts like karate and TKD, the contact can be pretty minimal in comparison.

There's also a valid argument the other way around...

People choose grappling because they don't want to get punched or kicked. When things get uncomfortable, they can tap. I've heard many people (men and women) say they grapple because they don't want to take a punch.

Judo seems to be quite a popular grappling art with women in my neck of the woods. I'm pretty sure it's just as popular a grappling art elsewhere.

I don't think fear is the main thing that drives people (men and women) to go to one and stay away from another. There's a lot of reasons behind the decision - who they're training with, teacher, schedule, cost, and mostly doing something they're interested in.

Most BJJ dojos here also double as MMA gyms. Pretty sure you can do just BJJ at any of them, but I think most prospective students who want to train for a combination of SD, exercise, and socialization want to avoid the UFC culture. I'm not saying that's exactly what they'll get, but that's what they perceive.

Latest Discussions