The fundamentals ; core of curriculum

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Instructors, what is the core of your self defense philosophy? If you could boil your teaching down two three points, what will they look like? If you have a student with no experience, who because of physical reasons, work, school, etc, will only have three to six months of training. As a good instructor, what is your action plan?
Last point, if you were hosting a day seminar at a local community center for the average clueless person, what techniques or principles or philosophy would you try to convey?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as philosophy goes, mine are in order of importance : situational awareness, keep your hands up, and get in shape. After that would come possessing and maintaining strong balance. Somewhere in there, not sure where exactly, I would include attitude and mindset.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I did instruction it was, situational awareness, pre-attack indicators, physiological effects of conflict, less in more when it comes to techniques and based on the above proper articulation of why and how you acted to justify your actions. If to civilians it would also include the self defense laws of the State.

I think outside of LE the last two are way to often overlooked.

For the first, I talk to people all the time who say "if so and so just threatens me I can shoot them right?" Others don't realize that if they defend themselves physically that they can't necessarily go for a throat punch based on a "simple" shove or violation of their personal space. I have also run into people who are ignorant that once the person stops their aggression that they can't keep going to "make sure" or to "finish em off".

As for the second issue some States, in the self defense laws, have a duty to retreat. So if someone comes up and starts threatening you or shoves you, you better be able to articulate why you believed you had no avenue of escape.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Threat & Awareness Evaluation
2. Target Hardening
3. Pre-emptive striking

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Instructors, what is the core of your self defense philosophy? If you could boil your teaching down two three points, what will they look like? If you have a student with no experience, who because of physical reasons, work, school, etc, will only have three to six months of training. As a good instructor, what is your action plan?
Last point, if you were hosting a day seminar at a local community center for the average clueless person, what techniques or principles or philosophy would you try to convey?

1) Don't get hit.
2) Try not to get in situations where you might get hit.
3) Leave if you can to avoid fighting.
4) If you have to fight, take away the attacker's ability to threaten you physically. Do it quickly, do it thoroughly, and then leave or call police.