Your dojang

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Non-scientific poll:

Is your dojang a commercial school, a college/educational program, or a YMCA/Boys & Girls club program? Something in between?

TIA!

Miles (at points in my journey, it has been each of the above)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Commercial school (not to be confused with a McDojang) in a small mall. It's only purpose is to be what it is, a martial arts studio.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I train at a dojang that would be considered a commercial school. The instruction is good, we are instructed by two 7th dan BBs. They not only run the school but actually teach too!!! They don't leave it to Jr. instructors. I really enjoy my workouts there, and I've learned quite a bit. For me it's a good fit... :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Somewhere in between - a private instructional group.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I own it it commercial with very little monies coming in we rather have people who are there to train, not to advance in a year with no knowledge and flat broke, so I guess commercial but diffently NOT A MCDOJO no how no way.

Terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My TKD school is commercial. A bit pricey (but in this area, you get what you pay for :( ), but the instruction is good, and our head instructor (8th dan) teaches all advanced classes (junior and adult) and Tai chi (I don't take that though). The senior instructor is a 3rd dan (soon to be 4th) and teaches the rest.

My jujitsu class is taught (for free) in my house. My instructor works down the road so he comes to us. He is a certified Police self defense instructor and Jujitsu 5th dan. He did have his own dojo in CA. He moved here with his wife (a good friend of mine) 5 years ago and recently started teaching again. His wife (3rd dan in TKD, jujistu and Shotokan) just opened a TKD dojang, and he will be doing classes there also. She doesn't charge much at all ($30 a month, I think).

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

Currently I am the assistant instructor of a small private club overseen by my Father. Previously (in the 1970's) he taught "publicly" at YMCA's, Private Schools, and Universities, etc.

He has decided to run the private club (as opposed to public) for a few reasons. No overhead prevents funds shortages, no knuckleheads, no youngsters (14+) which allows us to not sugar coat things (ie. we can say this is used to properly attack the eye, this is how to choke someone to unconsciousness, etc), and no distractions from outside elements.

Often we do visit other dojangs frequently and compete in open events (having also competed in some "closed" invitationals) in order to allow the students to experience the outside world and compare the level of training and instruction to that of others!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my school has an interesting way.
when you first enroll they enroll you in something called the "basic program" which lasts for 6 months and takes you up to the orange belt. if you show enough devotion, meaning you attend class, you show committment and try hard, then they will invite you to the "leadership" program which requires a 3-year contract with daily classes.
the advantage for them is they pick who's good and dont invite who's not committed. the bad side to it, for me, is that it requires a 3-year contract.
the Krav Maga school that i am going to join next month has 8-week classes and they do testing a couple of times a year. it could be pretty "McDojized"! i have to try it!
I wish there's a way to find out ahead of time if the school is good or not. i posted a question about the 2 masters that I like here but didnt get enough feedback to make my decision

A

Andy Cap

Spookey said:
Dear Sir,

Currently I am the assistant instructor of a small private club overseen by my Father. Previously (in the 1970's) he taught "publicly" at YMCA's, Private Schools, and Universities, etc.

He has decided to run the private club (as opposed to public) for a few reasons. No overhead prevents funds shortages, no knuckleheads, no youngsters (14+) which allows us to not sugar coat things (ie. we can say this is used to properly attack the eye, this is how to choke someone to unconsciousness, etc), and no distractions from outside elements.

Often we do visit other dojangs frequently and compete in open events (having also competed in some "closed" invitationals) in order to allow the students to experience the outside world and compare the level of training and instruction to that of others!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY
I will be opening my own school around January time. Spookey describes what I am going to try to develop.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy Cap said:
I will be opening my own school around January time. Spookey describes what I am going to try to develop.
Good Luck!

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy Capp good luck anything I can do to be of assistance let me know.

Terry Lee Stoker