Your 3 Choices

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you could wake up tommorrow and have the equivalent of 10 years training in 3 arts, what would you choose? Which would make you the best fighter you could be?

I would choose TKD for range:btg:, Kenpo for close fighting:boxing: , and Ju-Jitsu or a variation thereof for ground fighting and locks:tantrum: (couldn't find a smiley for locks, but this was funny).

If you post any kung fu type styles please post w hat they are for, as I am ignorant to 99% of kung fu knowledge.:idunno:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting topic.

I would take American Kenpo, as my first choice because of the variety and practicality. MY second choice would be Modern Arnis because the art is becoming more intriguing to me all the time. MY third choice would be Systema, it seems to be a very intriguing style.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai: for sheer *** beating [already have over ten yrs, though]
BJJ: for grappling/submission
Escrima/Kali: for weapons training

viola!

AJ

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD for the speed of kicks,second Judo, third Okinawa Karate, this will be enough for one man army GOD BLESS AMERICA

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Taijiquan (stand-up), BJJ (groundwork), and Pekiti-Tirsia (weapons).

Only if it was as easy as downloading this stuff the way Neo did in the Matrix. :ultracool

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I'm doing now (as time permits this summer) - JKD, Kali, and silat (Mande Muda). I like all of them, and I like seeing the connections and differences between them.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brazillian Jiu Jitsu - Ground and pound

Wing Chun Kung Fu - Close combat stand up fighting abillity, and for weapons training.

Judo - So I can flip people off of me easily if I dont want to go to the ground

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a hard question. If I had the time and money, I would sample everything, but that means I would have to live for 300 years or so LOL.

I'll go by what is in my area then. I like my TKD school, because of the kicking, boxing and Chin Na they teach. I would get serious about Judo (instead of "on and off" training) for the throws and ground work. I think I would take some kind of weapon art, also (there plenty here but not many schools are legit Kali schools around here).

But my ultimate three would be (if I could move/travel/whatever): Tang Soo Do because it's the art I started in :D (and for the kicking, hand techniques, and weapons). Hapkido for the self defense (joint locks, defenses, weapons, ect), and jujitsu for the ground defenses, throws, and more joint locks.... sheesh weird combo LOL.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
wolverine,darth mau....oops,wrong dream
icon10.gif

Savate for kicking.
western boxing combined with muay thai elbows and knees.
and small circle jujitsu.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bando
BJJ
FMA

I would say silat, but all the fun is in learning it, not knowing it.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Bammx2 said:
wolverine,darth mau....oops,wrong dream.

Hey, you had that dream too? :D

Chung Do Kwan TKD for the speed, power and intensity. Jiu-jutsu of some form for the grappling skills, and the ability to control an opponent rather than harm if I so choose. Filipino martial arts for the weapons applications and because it gives me the ability to incorporate my knowledge and skills from my other arts.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ninjutsu: practicality and effectiveness (which i already practice)
tkd: aireobatics (spelling/ is that a word?) best kicks i've ever seen, beauty
capoeira: beauty, exoticness
i think ninjutsu can give me all the weapons and fighting ability i need. the rest i would want just for fun and games!:ultracool

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American Kenpo
Silat (Harimau)
Pekiti-Tirsia

It has changed over the years from Hung-Gar, or a Five Animals System, and Pa-Qua to a bit more esoteric mixed with Kenpo.

-Michael

Pittbull

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say my picks would be Kenpo,Shorin-Ryu,and for the ground side of fighting side of things I would would have to choose Hayastan submission fighting

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pittbull said:
I would have to say my picks would be Kenpo,Shorin-Ryu,and for the ground side of fighting side of things I would would have to choose Hayastan submission fighting
Welcome to the board, Pittbull! I've never heard of Hayastan submission fighting.
icon7.gif

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kenpo (a school that teaches both the techniques and kickboxing) for stand up, BJJ for the ground and Kali/Escrima/Arnis for weapons.

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hung Gar kung fu because I love the explosiveness of the art,Judo for grappling and throwing techniques,and a waepons art like Cabales Serrada escrima

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let me break this into 3 catagories:

1) Cool Styles that would also look great:
kenpo for hands, hapkido for locks and kicks, Inosanto-Lacoste Kali for weapons.

2) Self Defense
kenpo for hands, Judo for throws and ground work, Modern Arnis (with a blade emphasis) for weapons

3) Becoming the "Ultimate Fighter"
Muai Thai for striking, BJJ for Ground Work, Dog Brothers style Kali for weapons

Jon

Latest Discussions