Ymca

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were you, I prefer to train at a club instead of the YMCA because I heard that the Karate lessons there are not that good and operators like to give belt ranks to students like tournament trophies, yeah even kids are black belts there. That's just my opinion, and I'm not trying to discourage you. It is worth going down to your local YMCA and visit a class and talk to the Sensei there, ask questions.

Uhhhhhhh.....

You are going to find "McDojos" no matter where you go. Location of a class is NO indicator of the type of education or training that you will recieve there. For awhile, our city had a very high ranking and nationally known Uechi-Ryu instructor that taught through community ed. programs. He had another job and it allowed him to teach without having to worry about the business side of things or worry about students not being able to afford lessons.

As a side note, in our city it is called the "Y-Center" since it allows both males and females for at least the past 35 years I have known about it. While I was in college, down in Indiana the local place was still called the YMCA even though it allowed women.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our local YMCA, I know the instructor, a good Isshin ryu stylist. He is old school and does not hand out belts. Now they also have a Tang soo do class, but I do not know that instructor.

If I were you, I prefer to train at a club instead of the YMCA because I heard that the Karate lessons there are not that good and operators like to give belt ranks to students like tournament trophies, yeah even kids are black belts there. That's just my opinion, and I'm not trying to discourage you. It is worth going down to your local YMCA and visit a class and talk to the Sensei there, ask questions.

OP
L

lma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you are going to find Mcdojo's everywhere but I'm more inclined to say that permanent Dojo are mote likely to be one as they need the commercialization to make it work . Also when using community centres the checks are strict when with your own Dojo your in charge . Im going on my own area here and I know there is always exceptions .

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For the record

One of the best Judo schools, with an old school Judo Sensei, that is rather well trained and out of Japan, is at a YMCA near where I work. He is by far MUCH better than any other Judo school or instructor in my area

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tez, I never realised it originated in the UK, guess due to good ol' Villlage People I assumed it was a Yank creation.

Yet another "age-sobering" realisation that some people these days haven't experience with or know about the YMCA at all.

HammockRider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For the record

One of the best Judo schools, with an old school Judo Sensei, that is rather well trained and out of Japan, is at a YMCA near where I work. He is by far MUCH better than any other Judo school or instructor in my area

That's interesting Xue, I was thinking of taking a Judo class at a Y that's also run by an old school Judo Sensei from Japan. I wonder if there's a pattern?:)

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
YMCAs typically have space for rent (wether it be a gymnasium or multi-purpose room) and usually have low rates due to them falling under 501.c3 (not for profit). A lot of new martial arts programs or ones run by persons that are teaching without pay use YMCAs to run their schools.

Don't think just because a school is at a YMCA that it will be lower in quality to a full-time studio. Try a class and do your research prior before classifying all "YMCA" programs as second or third class Martial Arts programs.

As stated earlier a lot of great Judo schools across the country are held at YMCAs.

ShudoMom

White Belt
Reaction score
I love our YMCA. There's no MA program, but lots of other classes and opportunities. I've previously been a member of a for-profit gym before and was NOT happy. This place is FAMILY oriented, and great! :)

Latest Discussions