Yahoo: TUF 6's real favorite re-emerges: Sotiropoulos upsets Stevenson

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-21-2010 12:45 AM:One punch can derail a career. It's exactly what happened to hotshot prospect George Sotiropoulos during Season 6 of "The Ultimate Fighter" when the Aussie was upset by Tommy Speer. That punch didn't stop things completely for Sotiropoulos. He officially sent word to the MMA world, that he is a quick riser to be reckoned with by beating veteran Joe Stevenson at his own game. Sotiropoulos outgrappled Stevenson for the better part of 15 minutes to pick up a unanimous decision victory 30-27 on all cards at UFC 110 in Australia.

"That was a very close fight," Sotiropoulos told UFC analyst Joe Rogan. "I know I won the striking and the ground. I was very aware of his submissions [but] I didn't feel in danger at anytime. It was second nature."

It was loss No. 5 in the UFC for Stevenson but he's never been outgrappled like this. Sotiropoulos dominated the first round. In the second, Stevenson scored a takedown but the Aussie immediately thwarted his offense by working an omoplata. When the fight was standing, Sotirpoulos (12-2, 5-0 UFC) picked apart Stevenson with beautiful counter right hands after "Joe Daddy" would whiff with wild left hooks. He also landed his best punch, a left hook, in the first minute of the final round.

Sotirpoulos missed out on the TUF 6 Finale where Speer fell quickly to the show winner Mac Danzig, who since is just 2-3 in the UFC.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.