Ross Pearson makes up for lackluster TUF 9 win

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-14-2009 09:26 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-495102359-1258242396.jpg

Back in June, Ross Pearson and Andre Winner hooked up in one of most boring Ultimate Fighter Finales in the reality show's history. There was way too much clinching along the cage and neither fighter looked comfortable letting loose on the feet. Pearson got "The Ultimate Fighter," season nine 155-lb. title but he didn't appear to be an elite prospect in the lightweight division. That changed today at UFC 105 in Manchester, England with his dominant win over veteran Aaron Riley.

Riley entered the fight as a solid minus-220 favorite but too often looked like an easy mark thrown to the wolves. Pearson pushed forward the entire fight, controlling the action via the clinch and by grabbing Riley's head. That's where he dirty boxed, landing lots of elbows, punches and some good knees. Pearson won the first and was wearing down Riley in the second when with less than a minute left in the round, he jumped into a picture perfect knee from that clinch. It busted open Riley, who took three more punches before he was back out. Referee Kevin Mulhall called for the doctor at the Manchester Evening News Arena who said to stop it. Pearson picked up his second UFC win at 4:38 of the second round and sent the message that there are some serious British fighting prospects to emerge from TUF 9.

"This is my life now. This is what I do," Pearson told UFC color analyst Joe Rogan. "I love training and I love fighting. I'm just going to do this 100 percent."

Pearson (10-3, 2-0 UFC) was all that more impressive considering that he wasn't throw in against a guy who was a soft touch to pad his record. Riley, 28, already had 40 professional fights.

"I know Aaron was a tough opponent for me first bout. So I went away and did 15 weeks, solid training camp. I just done nothing but think about Aaron and train for Aaron. Everything come together tonight. It come out perfect."

Riley (28-12-1, 2-3 UFC) was told by his trainer Greg Jackson to move forward more in the second but Pearson was too aggressive and strong for him. The TUF 9 alums are 3-0 on the night.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions