Yahoo/Geocities going for-pay only. Deal or no deal?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I received the email from yahoo some time ago that Geocities is closing and all webpages will now be for-pay only.

I can't afford much as my school is a skeleton operation right now. They want 4.99 per month for domain, site and services provided I do all the uploading of my own files.

Anyone here have experience with Yahoo on this? I don't need a fancy webpage and I can design my own myself (sorry, Bob) - but it seems inexpensive for domain and hosting.

Bob, are there any better deals with you?

-G

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a main page for the place you're teaching out of? Could they give you a linked sub-page there?

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hm I thought they closed Geocities permanently, not even paid subscriptions. Try Angelfire I haven't used it in a number of years, but it looks like their still in business with free web hosting. I remember they were a hell of a lot better than Geocities.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a main page for the place you're teaching out of? Could they give you a linked sub-page there?

The community center has a catalog online but no webpage options. The page I have is for our Washington group and we're all on it as affiliates. That's the page i have to move, see.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yahoo/Geocities thousands of sites crammed on cheap hardware, fighting for crap bandwidth. You get what you pay for.

Godaddy is great for a registrar, but their hosting sucks majorly (I used it for a client once, was a major headache)

1&1 is dirt cheap. $4/month. I have 3 clients who use them as a registrar.....I host their website. They (my clients) like being more than a 8oz coffee to their host. lol!

Call me, lets talk.

Latest Discussions