Xu Xiaodong appears to have vanished (Chinese MMA guy)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What are the implications of this? I'm intrigued, but don't have a sense of the context.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also just read this, but it is, at this point, unsubstantiated

The fallout from the MMA vs. Taichi fight has now resulted in the top Wushu org in China banning challenge matches and saying Chinese martial arts is now only about health and fitness, while saying how deadly they are out of the corner of their mouths and on endless staged TV shows. The MMA fighter is being investigated by the government and is being threatened by gov security forces and has been accused of spying for Taiwan and conspiring against the government

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What are the implications of this? I'm intrigued, but don't have a sense of the context.

See above post, basically he is in big trouble, he shouldn't be, but he is in China and he went after Chen village and it, like Shaolin, is becoming a cash cow and you don't want to mess with their money.

He made some incredibly valid points, but he is going to pay for it in the PRC

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also just read this, but it is, at this point, unsubstantiated
If that's true then it's death to traditional CMAs as an effective fighting system. This would be a clear difference between the Government they live in and the one I live in. If true then "real kung fu" will mainly exist outside of China. China is still afraid of effective CMAs.. but only if your quote is avcurate. History repeats itself.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To be honest of all the CMA schools outside of China, I have my doubts of late that many of them can fight at all. Some yes, but many.... I have my doubts.

I should also add that there are also those in China that can fight, but again, not as many as there are schools.

There is a division these days in Beijing in Yiquan. We here use Dachengquan and Yiquan interchangeably, and we have good reason, historically they are the same. However in Beijing, amongst Chinese practitioners you have Yiquan, which is mostly Qigong and Dachengquan, which is still training fighting. But what you mostly see is heavy dependence on forms with little else in may Martial arts in, and out of, China these days.

Made a post here years ago about how Bagua was dying in Beijing. There were old teachers, who truly knew the art, but they could not find students who wanted to actually learn it. All they could find were students who wanted the forms. My Yang shifu told me a few years back he had retired from teaching taiji since all his students seemed to want anymore were forms.... and then to go off, call themselves a master and teach.... the guys that know it are dying off and once they're gone...its gone forever

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be honest of all the CMA schools outside of China, I have my doubts of late that many of them can fight at all. Some yes, but many.... I have my doubts.
The saving grace is that schools outside of China won't be shut down for holding challenge fights. Only China would react this way to an embarrassing fight.

Latest Discussions