Xingyiquan addict returns - Blog Post

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well people are generally lazy, and kung Fu isn't fast food.

We live in an age where superpowers come with random mutation, radiation, super serum, spider bites, you were bitten by a vampire, blessed or cursed by a god, born a god, whatever.

Kung Fu? Talk about an antique idea.
Ii think it's a marketing issue. There are a lot of things that take hard work that are more popular than Kung fu.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- What's the most important thing for old people? A good balance that you won't fall down during old age.
- How to develop a good balance? You will need to drill leg skill with single leg balance.

If I teach old people for health, this is one drill that I will teach them.

Marketing is more important. If you can't communicate that importance to the public then now ones is going to know that nor will they believe you.

Sometimes they just need to try to see things how others see it and then tell why the martial arts fits their need.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is true for a lot of kung fu systems. It's difficult and depressing to just teach one person. But that one person may have the answers to how to get more students. Kung fu teachers are really bad with marketing.
Man, that is the truth. Neither Sifu Gale nor Sifu Woo ever did any advertisements beyond an ad in the paper occaisionally and flyers we students put up.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well people are generally lazy, and kung Fu isn't fast food.

We live in an age where superpowers come with random mutation, radiation, super serum, spider bites, you were bitten by a vampire, blessed or cursed by a god, born a god, whatever.

Kung Fu? Talk about an antique idea.
It was always this way. For every 100 new students, 95 never come more than three times.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was always this way. For every 100 new students, 95 never come more than three times.
I don't know. It might be a 1960's thing.

Even in the comic books the Iron Fist just kind of chances on it. Find a Luck Dragon, etc, you're set up, superpowerwise.

In the older days, you had to work for it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. It might be a 1960's thing.

Even in the comic books the Iron Fist just kind of chances on it. Find a Luck Dragon, etc, you're set up, superpowerwise.

In the older days, you had to work for it.
I still am working for it. No luck dragons over here, just moving a mountain with a spoon and spilling a bit with each scoop.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tai Chi, Bagua, and Xing Yi have all held an interest for me, Xing Yi being number one, but there is no one in my area, as far as I can tell, that teaches it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When my son was training with me, everyone was interested in what I was doing. When I train by myself, no one asks, no one cares. It's sort of like the girlfriend effect. When you have a girlfriend other women want you. When you don't have a girlfriend other women don't want to know you. So as long as you have at least one student others will want to be a student too. My son and wife were excellent at attracting new students. My biggest wish was to have a very attractive female and male as a student. That's gold lol. If I can get more than one then I can open up a chain of schools lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When my son was training with me, everyone was interested in what I was doing. When I train by myself, no one asks, no one cares. It's sort of like the girlfriend effect. When you have a girlfriend other women want you. When you don't have a girlfriend other women don't want to know you. So as long as you have at least one student others will want to be a student too. My son and wife were excellent at attracting new students. My biggest wish was to have a very attractive female and male as a student. That's gold lol. If I can get more than one then I can open up a chain of schools lol.
Another good marketing is to give free membership. First 5 students to stay for a year and meets attendance requirements will be eligible for a free membership that is good as long as that attendance requirement is met. Students attract students. A teacher with good teaching skills and personality retains students.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another good marketing is to give free membership. First 5 students to stay for a year and meets attendance requirements will be eligible for a free membership that is good as long as that attendance requirement is met. Students attract students. A teacher with good teaching skills and personality retains students.
I do something similar, but I use more of a monthly format. Perfect attendance for one month equals a reduced rate for the next month.

Latest Discussions