Xingyi again...maybe

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
some use it for learning self defense others use it as a way to achieve enlightenment.
This is why I did not mention about combat, enlightenment, performance, self-cultivation, inner peace, ... but "health". As long as you have included swing your leg into your training, it will be as good as kicking IMO.

Last edited:

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did a lot of Santi Shi, think it is important, but much overly depended upon, and over trained. And in some cases it can lead to one forgetting that the Santi Shi posture has to ultimately move and when moving, maintain that structure.
I think most people can not stand more than 10 minutes in Santi shi correctly, I think if you train longer in it like 30 minutes or more than the body will move more efficient.
The recoil bounce back from rooting during Santi shi allows for that spring forward needed, but what do I know I am more into Baguazhang our logic is circular.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is why I did not mention about combat, enlightenment, self-cultivation, inner peace, ... but "health". As long as you have included swing your leg into your training, it will be as good as kicking IMO.

I don't do these exercises like I did when I was younger I do the older people version that you see old people do in the park.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't do these exercises like I did when I was younger I do the older people version that you see old people do in the park.
Most old people don't stand on one leg. That's the problem I intend to address. My junior high school boy scout teacher fell down and died this year. Any exercise that can improve balance is a good exercise. IMO, 2 legs balance (such as Santi) is not good enough.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Most old people don't stand on one leg. That's the problem I intend to address. My junior high school boy scout teacher fell down and died this year. Any exercise that can improve balance is a good exercise. IMO, 2 legs balance (such as Santi) is not good enough.

Then train Yiquan/Dachengquan

yao_g_dl.jpg

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
You do know Sant is done with 75% to 80% on one leg right?

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
Santi Shi (三体式) is also called 3-7 Shi (三七式). By definition, it should have 30% weight on the leading leg and 70% weight on the back leg.
The literal hanzi does not mean one has to assume 70/30 rule when standing in Santi shi, there are different reasons to alter the stance depending on what you are doing and emphasis is. I like to stand 80/20 my teacher also taught a 60/40 the point is to "sit or sink" on the back leg.

This is the same with the hand positions some like to have the hand lower. some like to have them spread further apart there really isn't an incorrect or correct way in my opinion as long as the principles are aligned correctly with the body structured; I was also taught two ways my back foot is presented.

xingyiquan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yang Hai was pretty bad, all arm movement, xingyi is about body movement, everything has to work together

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i like the forms. fast moving forms with fluid movements constantly moving one technique after the next. if there are any pauses its usually brief and don't get me started on the strange sounding names. i haven't heard a single form name that didn't sound unusual. mostly do to the fact that i don't understand chinese, but that's besides the point of-coarse.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
i like the forms. fast moving forms with fluid movements constantly moving one technique after the next. if there are any pauses its usually brief and don't get me started on the strange sounding names. i haven't heard a single form name that didn't sound unusual. mostly do to the fact that i don't understand chinese, but that's besides the point of-coarse.

Háizi jīntiān (kids today)

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yang Hai was pretty bad, all arm movement, xingyi is about body movement, everything has to work together

Have you touched hands with Yang? I think a lot of us need to go touch hands with Yang Hai instead of judging from his videos. I didn't like the appearance of his performances but people I respect give him high marks - giving me reason to doubt my judgment.

Latest Discussions