Emptiness is the most important attribute
in martial arts. Just as nothingness gives birth to something, formlessness
must precede form. Without emptiness all of the postures go from being flexible
suits of armor to rusty cages that imprison a fighter. Postures are a battle
arrangement of the major striking surfaces

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Among other things, emptiness is the feeling you have when no single part of your body stands out to you. No single part is noticed or felt by you. Not the calves, not the thighs, not the back, not the hands. Your act of standing or moving has become so well-distributed that you only feel the ground on your feet. Then you feel empty, hollow, insubstantial inside.

This is not theory, this is practice, and I've felt it. And it is good. :D

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. I've posted this quote before, but its worth posting again. From Yang Cheng-fu's "The Essence and Applications of Taijiquan" talking about Wuji ...."I hold to my own stillness in order to deal with the other's movements; thus the inner and the outer are unified, essence and application are integrated. People all too easily neglect this posture and really do not know the method of its practice or its application. It is all right here. One hopes that the student pays primary attention to this"

It took me many years before I appreciated what he was saying. Its so simple and fundamental and yet so profound. I find it staggering that I had ignored it for so long. As Cheng-fu says "It is all right here". There are no secrets.

Very best wishes

Latest Discussions