who makes your uniforms?

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious almost every school I have ever attended has always used Century for everything they purchase to include uniforms. But, today I just signed up at my old Dojang and it was weirded by the fact that he was not using Century anymore for as his equipment vendor. I did some research and its a company based out of our state. I can only guess he's struck some sort of deal with them, and at the same time is trying to support his own by keeping the business in state. From what I have looked at it so far, it seems to be of the same quality as Century's student uniforms, which are nothing to write home about.. but will do the job.

What company does your school use for its uniforms?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For our new students we use Bold Look. For my own uniforms I use JUKA and Ronin.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lately I have been using Bold Look for a lot of things, but I always go back to KWON for the cut and look.

AoG

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Student uniforms are the house brand that our distributor carries. I'd say that it's the same quality as the good student uniforms that you'll find at almost any wholesaler.

Keep in mind, that these will withstand a decent amount of abuse, and can hold up to some moderate levels of grappling as well.

They are *not* the same as those paper-thin, entry level Century gi's that rip like paper, and stick to your skin once you start perspiring... These are actualy quite usable.

If someone wants a better gi, we usually go with Tokon's uniforms (formerly Kamikaze Kaiten). Some people prefer the thicker America, others perfer the middleweight Europa. Some of us prefer the middleweight Sovereign (easily the most comfortable uniform I've owned).

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wacoku made by Masahiro International, it takes some searching to find them but it's worth it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually order Macho's 7 or 7.5 ounce uniforms for my students; I get 'em at wholesale, and sell them for about what I pay, maybe a shade more to cover my credit card costs and shipping. They seem to be holding up reasonably well.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the company my new dojang uses is called www.gosuworld.com

the name of the uniforms are "RhinGO"?

I have never heard of them, but now that I am looking at it.. its actually much better quality than century's.

I'm gonna have to give bold look, a look.. lol

I'm gonna need a competition dobok for tournaments..

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't really wear uniforms. Most often we wear street clothes or just sweats. When I'm doing ground work I like ProForce Gladiator black Judo pants. I use Cold Steel Sarongs for Sarong work, I usually pick up a few when they're cheap at their parking lot sale or at the Cold Steel Challenge.

I have yet to find an American vendor for traditional Silat uniforms. Many Silat folks simply wear Karate or TKD uniforms with a sarong, some wear kung fu uniforms, usually if their lineage has enough Kuntao in it. However, whatever they wear, it's usually black. Jow stains ^_^

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious almost every school I have ever attended has always used Century for everything they purchase to include uniforms.

What company does your school use for its uniforms?

In the recent years, I have had an account with Dynamics out of New York for very low instructor prices, and very fast shipping services. They carry a variety of Brands in their catalog, including their own Dynamics and PineTree brand, Century, Macho, etc.

http://www.dynamicsworld.com/

I also have an account with the "Bold Look."

http://www.boldlook.net/

When I first began teaching in 1978, I used to make trips from Michigan to Chicago to buy directly from one of the few suppliers I knew of, East West Market Exchange (Now called East West Martial Arts Supply - with the Bear Brand). In my early days of training, everybody wore 100% cotton, cross-lapel (Karate style) uniforms which were hot as all get out in the summer, and had to be ironed after each washing. Later, they started adding the polyester blend and lighter weight uniforms. I would also drive to Asian World Martial Art's chicago outlet (AWMA). During the mid 80's, I had a reliable account with Tiger Claw, and got good products for very reasonable instructor prices.

I have dealt with many companies over the past three decades, and I have hundreds of catalogues from each of them. I still have an account with Century, and occasionally order from them, but I wouldn't say it is the main product line in the schools I've known over the years.

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My dojo uses Kyoto of Japan. However, being free to buy from where I choose, I use Tozando. S & H is costly, but the quality is the best. I do believe that they have Karate uniforms as well.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd use Bold Look exclusively if I could get them to change one of their tops for me but they want an exhorbitant fee to do that. It makes no sense to me seeing as I only want to change the color of striping on one top from "a" to "b" & they use both color on different tops.

But seeing as how they won't without upcharging close to 300% for it, as I was told "it's custom" even though it'd b regular bulk orders, I'm sticking with Jonie. She's expensive, you know it on the front side, but you also know you get exactly what you want.

www.jonieuniforms.com

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use almost exlusivly Dynamics stuff, for uniforms and protectors. They are at good prices and right here in NY. One of these days I'll buy one of those really expensive Japanese heavy Gis.

I had an old instructor who used to sew gis. He had a small school, small enough that he could sew uniforms for nearly everyone (a few baught theirs). Makes me wish I could sew so I can stop thinking about what gi's the best, what cut's the best, blah blah blah.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i went to bold looks website but all the products seem to be blank.. maybe its my browser.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i went to bold looks website but all the products seem to be blank.. maybe its my browser.

Perhaps you didn't notice the drop-down menus under some of the items. For instance, if you click on "uniforms": http://www.boldlook.net/products.php?Cat=Uniforms

The page will be blank, but there is a drop-down menu to the left, under the word "uniforms" which includes the following:

V-Neck
Traditional
Tae Kwon Do
Kung Fu
Judo
HeavyWeight
Team Uniforms

If you click on "V-Neck," for example, you will get this page. See if it works for you:

http://www.boldlook.net/products.php?Cat=V-Neck&subcat=Uniforms

Protective gear is at this page:

http://www.boldlook.net/products.php?Cat=Protective Gear

The belts page will be blank as well, but there is a list of options if you scroll down and look at the left column under the word "belts."

Here is the link for "solid" belts:

http://www.boldlook.net/products.php?Cat=Solid&subcat=Belts

I hope this helps!
CM Eisenhart

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My black belt is thru Elephant here in Korea and our uniform I have no Idea b/c it's not labeled on there...It's made here in Korea and it is expensive...I had to $120 for it.

Latest Discussions