Working Out At Home

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished the latest addition to my home dojo. It's two pulleys, spaced five feet apart, placed in a rafter in the garage. A length of rope is run through them with a loop at one end. I use this for leg stretches. Also present, so far, is a heavy bag and a weight bench, as well as an expanse of floor for kata.

What's in your home dojo/dojang/kwoon?

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have a home Dojo persay. Although I do own a Wave Master Bag, a Weight set, and a living room with enough floor space, although most of my katas are for small places, so I usually do them in my room.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
...although most of my katas are for small places, so I usually do them in my room.

My last place was small with no space; so, I abbreviated my kata, taking baby steps in order to get some practice in.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okinowians(sp) where demiliterized so they weren't legally allowed to Train in Martial Arts, so when they did train it was in small places and by candle light, or it was somewhere deep within the forest. So i guess you can say I train traditionally.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My ju-jitsu instructor originally trained in Judo. He screwed two metal grommets in a cinderblock wall at shoulder height and shoulder width. He then put a length of innertubing through each one.

He would grab the tubing and work on his jump-around throws. The tubing would provide resistance to better simulate the feel of a real opponent.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't need an addition to have a mini Dojo, I need a subtraction..My wife's worthless kid..

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a few gadgets for home workouts. We have a B.O.B, an air shield, kicking paddle, bo's, a mini bo that my BF made (because space is limited for bo work), focus mitt, various weapons, those cord things that help with kicking power, a yoga ball, re-breakable boards, and a mat (for jujitsu). Our living room is just big enough to do our forms. One or two of them, we have to change stances in place, but it's not too bad.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really the same thing but here's what's in my "training area":

Farmer's walks handles.
3 inch thick bar.
10 inch log.
Dual stack pulling/dragging sled.
Big ol' tire (estimated high 500 pounder).
Plethera of weights.
Numerous grip tools (grippers, lever bars, thick handles, etc. etc.)
Books.
A stack of 600 bricks.

:uhyeah:

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Heavy Bag
Some Tape on the floor
Swimming noodles?

I teach out of my gargage. Just enough rooom to do forms, a heavy bag to give them a good workout. Tape on the floor to help them get off line of oncoming attacks. Swimming noodles to make sure they are covering their centerline.

Train Hard!

Best Regards,

Jerry

X

Xibalba

I can only get into the dojo to teach/train once a week (I have a 14 month old boy at home), so my basement/home dojo is very important to me!

I have a heavy bag, jump-rope, large swiss ball, ankle weights for slow extension kicks, and a set of adjustable dumbells. I don't have much space, so kata is very difficult to do unless I truncate the movements a lot.

Unfortunately, hitting the bag makes a ton of noise upstairs, so evening bag workouts are out lest I wake my boy...this means that the dog and I do a lot of running in the evening!

I also have a big backyard that I have been known to work out in when the weather permits - which is about two months out of the year in Michigan!

Peace,
Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
Okinowians(sp) where demiliterized so they weren't legally allowed to Train in Martial Arts, so when they did train it was in small places and by candle light, or it was somewhere deep within the forest. So i guess you can say I train traditionally.

Do you have a reference to a primary source on this?

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A cheap sit- up bench that has various back adjustments from slightly inclined to declined. Various weights of dumb bell sets up to 35 pounds. A jump rope. My wave master bag I've named Tylor. I added the uppercut attachment this year and love it. It not only gives resistance to uppercuts but it seperates the bag into a upper (head) and lower (body) areas. I just tied two rubber resistance bands onto the back strap for the attachment to use for working the upper body and a third I tied to the base for working kick strenght. CD player for insperational music (metal). Today I ordered a round timer and soon I'm adding a chin up bar.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have any equipment (unless you count the bicycle on the training stand, for aerobic conditioning when it's too cold or snowing), but when I bought my house, that was one of my criteria - there had to be a basement big enough for patterns practice... in fact, there was a room walled off after the house was built (I think) and as soon as I'm sure the wall is not load-bearing, it's coming down, so I can make the room long enough for that one pattern that takes more space! I can't do anything about the 7' ceiling, but it's still WAY better than what I had before I moved, where, if I put the coffee table on the couch and moved the kitchen table against the wall, I could almost fit some of them in without changing the stances. I'd like to get a wavemaster next, but I need to move the wall first, or it will take up space I need for patterns... but I have plans!

Latest Discussions